Will Syria forel return? Is he truly dead?

varunpats18

In a game of thrones, the last scene involving Syria forel, arya's teacher shows him fighting 3 or 4 lannister men until his sword is cut in half. Then, our POV, Arya flees and assumes syrio is dead. But in the entire series, it hasn't been confirmed he is dead and I am inclined to believe that he might return. I think, he might have fought off the lannister guards, and using his stealth skill, escaped from the red keep and then flee to braavos. Now, Arya is in braavos. I think it is a high possibility that she will bump into him. Maybe he will save her from a situation. He might not be there for long (I can't say) but he most probably will come back.

I also think, he might be a faceless man. We never know! Your thoughts?

I think there's a small chance Syrio Forel survived the fight in King's Landing, but I doubt we'll ever know his fate for certain.

1) Meryn Trant apparently returned to Cersei after the fight without his helm. Syrio noted during the fight that Meryn's visor was open and he -- seeing with his eyes -- may have used that as an opening to strike his temple or daze him with his broken wooden sword (possibly damaging the helm, which Meryn would not want Cersei to see) then made his escape. However, this seems to contradict Syrio's statement that "The First Sword of Braavos does not run."

2) Cersei is aware that Syrio was Arya's "dancing" master, so certainly Meryn would have known as well, right? Since Meryn never explicitly said he killed Syrio, I find that odd since you'd think he'd confirm the death of a skilled swordsman.

On a side note, the SF=JH theory has some merits but a major shortcoming is the timing of Yoren taking the prisoners from the dungeon; which seems to occur prior to the fight over Arya.

GRRM doesn't always like giving fans closure. So I think we've heard the last of Syrio.

And in interviews (sorry, I can't find a quote), I vaguely remember GRRM coming across as irritated by questions about Syrio's fate, as if we're supposed to assume he's dead.

GRRM doesn't always like giving fans closure. So I think we've heard the last of Syrio.

And in interviews (sorry, I can't find a quote), I vaguely remember GRRM coming across as irritated by questions about Syrio's fate, as if we're supposed to assume he's dead.

He has also been irritated when asked Benjen = Coldhands. My guess being because there is simple textual evidence that disproves it. If there was a possibility of either being true, he isn't going to get annoyed answering them.

Syrio is dead.

This is the way I look at it....

Syrios entire point in AGOT was to teach Arya how to fight. That's it. After he did that, GRRM wrote him off, and left the readers to make up their own minds what happened to him. That's the extent of his character.

Since AGOT was originally supposed to be a trilogy (even after the 1st book was written), it adds more proof to this IMO. He was a fill-in character in a trilogy who had a minor purpose.

Now, is it possible for GRRM to ressurect him and bring him back? Sure. But what would be the point? GRRM has stuck with his original plan all along...letting him be a minor character who's fate was never cleared up.

So yes...people can make their own assumptions. Maybe he is dead, maybe he survived. Who knows. But IMO, he won't re-appear, and that's exactly how GRRM wanted him to remain.

No. He is dead, his head was mounted on the gates of the Red Keep and his body thrown in a ditch or on a midden heap. Meryn Trant would have mentioned it if he escaped and could possibly provide assistance to Arya.

Indeed. He's a memorable character, so people want him to make another appearance, but his narrative function has long been served. Another author might have him pop up for a cameo or two, but this is GRRM - he's not exactly big on fan service.

The Shakespeare of Braavos is a Forel as well.

He has also been irritated when asked Benjen = Coldhands. My guess being because there is simple textual evidence that disproves it. If there was a possibility of either being true, he isn't going to get annoyed answering them.

Syrio is dead.

True, and GRRM confirmed Benjen is not Coldhands based on a leaked manuscript with handwritten notes between him and his editor where he flatly said "No" when the editor posed the question.

Archived