Will Syria forel return? Is he truly dead?

varunpats18

I absolutely despise all of these theories about rhaegar being alive and all stuff like that etc.

that being said it always bugged me, we are lead to believe jaqen is some amazing person that can kill anyone yet somehow got caught and put in black cell. someone said you know why he is down there? because meryn trant didn't kill syrio he put him in the black cell and syrio changed to jaqen, that's also why he takes to arya.

I have to say its not completely crazy. someone please disprove it because I hate these theories.

I mean if its true fine, but I don't want to assume something that large

GRRM himself told the fans to sort it out logically. He's dead.

Or does sorting it out logically indicate he's alive?

Personally I think Syrio is dead, but I wouldn't put my money on it with how many false deaths there are.

Or does sorting it out logically indicate he's alive?

Personally I think Syrio is dead, but I wouldn't put my money on it with how many false deaths there are.

No - when everything points to him being in a situation where he will die in a moment, sorting it our logically does not indicate he is alive haha :D

I think there's a small chance Syrio Forel survived the fight in King's Landing, but I doubt we'll ever know his fate for certain.

1) Meryn Trant apparently returned to Cersei after the fight without his helm. Syrio noted during the fight that Meryn's visor was open and he -- seeing with his eyes -- may have used that as an opening to strike his temple or daze him with his broken wooden sword (possibly damaging the helm, which Meryn would not want Cersei to see) then made his escape. However, this seems to contradict Syrio's statement that "The First Sword of Braavos does not run."

2) Cersei is aware that Syrio was Arya's "dancing" master, so certainly Meryn would have known as well, right? Since Meryn never explicitly said he killed Syrio, I find that odd since you'd think he'd confirm the death of a skilled swordsman.

On a side note, the SF=JH theory has some merits but a major shortcoming is the timing of Yoren taking the prisoners from the dungeon; which seems to occur prior to the fight over Arya.

GRRM doesn't always like giving fans closure. So I think we've heard the last of Syrio.

And in interviews (sorry, I can't find a quote), I vaguely remember GRRM coming across as irritated by questions about Syrio's fate, as if we're supposed to assume he's dead.

SF=JH has no merit

I think it's possible for him to be alive but I wouldn't bet on him returning. I think if he was alive and he was going to make another appearance, it would have happened already, at this point the story is so far gone from when he last appeared... I just can't see him having a lasting impact on it any more... which is why I can semi-believe the "Syrio is a faceless man and is Jaqen" theories. That just sounds like something GRRM would do imo.

SF=JH has no merit

I found some of arguments for SF=JH somewhat compelling (red herrings in hindsight)... but after looking at the timeline of events, Yoren clearly had possession of the dungeon rats before the Syrio debacle. So yes, I agree with you.

I absolutely despise all of these theories about rhaegar being alive and all stuff like that etc.

that being said it always bugged me, we are lead to believe jaqen is some amazing person that can kill anyone yet somehow got caught and put in black cell. someone said you know why he is down there? because meryn trant didn't kill syrio he put him in the black cell and syrio changed to jaqen, that's also why he takes to arya.

I have to say its not completely crazy. someone please disprove it because I hate these theories.

I mean if its true fine, but I don't want to assume something that large

Trant had no reason to take Syrio to the Black Cells. Probably didn't have time and was a bit too lazy, too.

GRRM himself told the fans to sort it out logically. He's dead.

Reread. GRRM waterdanced all around the question. We see a number of apparent deaths that were not final, Bran's fall from the tower being a good example. Falling several stories to a cobblestoned courtyard is normally fatal.

No. He is dead, his head was mounted on the gates of the Red Keep and his body thrown in a ditch or on a midden heap. Meryn Trant would have mentioned it if he escaped and could possibly provide assistance to Arya.

The Shakespeare of Braavos is a Forel as well.

I disagree. Trant was a weasel and would have covered up Syrio's escape and would have reported his death, to make himself look better. He pointedly doesn't mention how five armed Lannster guardsmen get neutralized by a dance instructor using a stick.

Not needed. just a cloak and helmet from a dead Lannister guard, and water-dance out the front door. "I've been cut bad, on my way to get bandaged up"

I wanted to know what the OP meant when he mentioned Syrio's "stealth skills" (it apparently meant "being silent", a skill everyone knows), and I respectfully thus do not care about your alternative scenario.

Archived