Am I the only one who likes Melisandre?

Varys+Cersei=Aemon

I like her because she is interested in Jon snow and affiliated with the fantasy elements in the series, like Bran, except a bit more extreme.

I also like her because she is taking advantage of "useful idiots" with her tricks (conjuring coloured flames with her powders etc) and may be immortal, which is interesting.

I don't "like like" her, meaning that I think she's a pretty terrible person regardless because of the human sacrifices and religious fanaticism (Allah akbar!) even though she is on the right side of the "Ice vs fire" battle.

I like her, kind of how I like Tywin and other likable villains. I wouldn't want to be her friend in real life and I'd vote to convict her of multiple counts of murder if I was on a jury at her trial, but I do like her a lot.

I absolutely despise her. I think it is funny how she uses "usefull idiots" sometimes, but she goes to extremes with this that I cannot agree with. Also, yes, why would you not hate her religion? It is even easier to hate than most real life religions, and that's a feat, I mean have you ever read most of the holy texts? Like the bible? Best literature to make someone atheist.

But yes, I can accept that, in a fantasy world, Gods might or might not exist. I just don't like how the red faith is an emancipatory believe on the outside (e.g. everyone is equally a lowly invertebrate to the LL, etc.) that captures so many people searching for equallity (e.g. slaves), yet is absolutely intolerant and brutal in reality. Also, half their magic alone could be considered dark magic, which makes one suspicious about their claim to be of the Lord of Light. From how I see it, LL and the great other seem to be equally evil if they exist. Of course you can say "yeah, but they can use shadow magic because light produces shadow and shadows are not darkness, but servants of light!" but that is not only hipocritical and objectively untrue (Darkness is just a lot of shadow), it is also the same kind of retarded reasoning that medival Christians and radical Islamists allways apply.

Returning to the emancipatory aspect, they are hipocritical to their own ideas just like the soviets where to communism, which started as an emancipatory ideology but first slowly then fast turned into a left fascism that murdered millions of people, just like the red faith is subverting it's principles.

I think WoW will either make her or break her for me. She'll either board the first train to Redemptionville by doing something heroic like resurrecting Jon or she'll go completely off the rails and burn a lot of people at the Wall

I like her because she is interested in Jon snow and affiliated with the fantasy elements in the series, like Bran, except a bit more extreme.

I also like her because she is taking advantage of "useful idiots" with her tricks (conjuring coloured flames with her powders etc) and may be immortal, which is interesting.

I don't "like like" her, meaning that I think she's a pretty terrible person regardless because of the human sacrifices and religious fanaticism (Allah akbar!) even though she is on the right side of the "Ice vs fire" battle.

I agree with the first, her connection to the fantasy elements is enjoyable. I especially like the duality she places on the world (Light and Shadow) dividing the world between good and evil which is contrary to GRRM 's use of grey characters.

The second, while she is a religious fanatic, simply characterizing that term with Islam solely narrows down the definition too much.

As-salamu alaikum

Gods might or might not exist. I just don't like how the red faith is an emancipatory believe on the outside (e.g. everyone is equally a lowly invertebrate to the LL, etc.) that captures so many people searching for equallity (e.g. slaves), yet is absolutely intolerant and brutal in reality. Also, half their magic alone could be considered dark magic, which makes one suspicious about their claim to be of the Lord of Light. From how I see it, LL and the great other seem to be equally evil if they exist. Of course you can say "yeah, but they can use shadow magic because light produces shadow and shadows are not darkness, but servants of light!" but that is not only hipocritical and objectively untrue (Darkness is just a lot of shadow)

Well, most of what we see of the religion is through Melisandre, and other POV's look at the faith through her mostly, some through Thoros and Moqorro. So I do not think there is a full view of the religion.

She's an interesting and enigmatic character, I really like how she and Davos are like the cartoon devil/angel on Stannis' shoulder trying to get him to do things and she definitely contributes to the story. That said, as for actually liking her... no. Her moral absolutism on one hand, while burning humans as sacrifices on the other just irks me on so many levels.

I've noticed a lot of hate against Melisandre, mostly outside this forum. So, am I really the only one who likes Melisandre and the cult and worship of the Lord of Light?

I don't particulary like her Lord of Light but I also like Melisandre and don't understand the hate. There are a great deal worse people around in Westeros so she's at best a medium-weight in villany, if you want to call it that. I like her character and all. I hope she stays around. :)

I find her hypocritical actually. While she does go about "showing the power" of her god, in the cases of the visions, she admits to blending in trickery to create a facade. She is not as nearly as confidant in her interpretations as she pretends she is and she knows it. And while it was Robert who had some the characteristics of Henry the Eighth, handsome but went to rot in later years and letting others rule for him, it is Stannis and Mel that take up the trait of inspiring religious upheaval.

Archived