My response to the closed thread that is now about parental rights...

Taenqyrhae

ETA: Screw it here's a few more, Why do you seem to be perfectly fine with compelling a father to take a paternity test based on similar evidence? Or am I getting this wrong? And if I am getting this wrong are you fine with father's not having to support their children based on the same reasoning you have for women not allowing men to know their children. IE "We had sex" "No we didn't" After all if a denial of sex is enough evidence when a women is doing it it should be enough when a man does it.

This is the question I'd most like answered, too, SJW.

I'm sure almost everyone on this board knows of situations where the mother names a man as the father and he denies it. It happens all the time. Should it be acceptable for him to say "Nope, that's not possible," and let that be the end of it?

I also find it troubling that you put so much faith in the woman knowing for sure when she was fertile and when she conceived. It is not an exact science. A lot of women have irregular cycles. A lot of birth control is ineffective for various reasons. Some women can have a period for a couple months after conception. Some women have vaginal bleeding and discharge early in pregnancy that is mistaken for a period. Some women have no clue they're pregnant for several months, or even up until the time they go into labor. Some women can be pregnant for 42+ weeks.

As for your concerns regarding a vindictive ex claiming parentage over a child, what is to stop that ex from claiming to have had an affair with the woman regardless of whether there's a child involved? This also happens pretty frequently, and the best you can do is be honest and hope your partner trusts you. There is unlikely to be any definitive proof that you did not have sex with that person. I admit adding a child to the mix creates an extra level of stress, but even if it turned out the child was not the ex's, he could still claim to have had the affair.

Not to get bogged down in this discussion, but here in Norway the law says that the child have a right to know who their biological parents are, this actually includes sperm donors. To the best of my knowledge this does not mean that a sperm donor is liable for child support, but if the donation is done in Norway, any eventual children have the rights to know your identity.

As well they should. Could you imagine if you ended up falling in love with your sister?

Increased risk of birth defects/complications if they have children. Inbreeding is potentially detrimental. Or maybe not, I'm not a geneticist.

One generation of in-breeding is minor, unless there're already high-risk factors in the lineage. In general, sibling mating is not that big of a deal for increasing genetic risks for just one generation. If done repeatedly, then yes.

• 2 months later...

Not to get bogged down in this discussion, but here in Norway the law says that the child have a right to know who their biological parents are, this actually includes sperm donors. To the best of my knowledge this does not mean that a sperm donor is liable for child support, but if the donation is done in Norway, any eventual children have the rights to know your identity.

The donor has no rights or obligations to the child, but the child has A right to know how ther father is after they turn 18

Archived