What was Illyrio expecting of Dany in the Dothraki Sea?

Steelborn

And if Aegon has always been his primary plan, why would Viserys stay in Pentos in the first place?

I think something is off with his plan, I'm not sure how he was planning to manage both Aegon and Viserys, specially since he was seemingly supporting the two kings. .

What are your thoughts on it?

I think he expected Dany to die. He tells as much to Tyrion when he says he never really expected she would survived much longer among the Dothraki. As for Viserys, some people say Illyrio was just using reverse psychology with him and wanted him to die as well

But to be honest, I think that whole plan is convoluted as all hell

This and Doran. Either they're just really dumb, or there's gonna be a huge mindboggling reveal. I'm leaning towards the former though :(

I'm leaning toward the latter. A bunch of new players have just entered the scene, we still know very little of Varys and Illyrio's plans, and the plot is supposed to be converging at this point. I can't see the next book being a bunch of new, separate storylines nobody cares about.

And GRRM likes his surprise reveals.

illyrio and varys got drunk one night after aerys made a mean eunuch joke. so they hatched a plan: "screw that guy man, he's like, a total dick and we'll totally get him back"

and so it is that varys the spider engineered robert's rebellion with his whispers, spiriting young aegon away to create the perfect prince. meanwhile illyrio found aerys' two other children, skillfully creating a number of alliances (dorne, golden company, dothraki insofar as they do this type of thing, braavos?) sufficient to muster an army capable of conquering westeros. three heads must the dragon have, and three dragon eggs for the targaryen exiles.

then he gives all three of those eggs to dany, because how should i know.
and viserys goes and gets himself killed, which puts the dornish alliance in question, but fortunately we have aegon. except drogo died, so no we should probably have aegon marry dany, which has the added advantage of making it more believable that some random kid with light coloring is actually the son of rhaegar, believed to have been brutally murdered.

also dany is faffing about in the meereen, with all three dragons and an army of unsullied, because this is what happens when you make major decisions whilst drunk. a woman screws everything up (i look forward to your outrage)

Probably for two reasons

1) To die

2) To get everyone's attention, and to get Aegon (or whoever he is) ready to invade Westeros and take the throne.

So whilst everyone is loosing their mind over and get distracted trying to do something about Dany and the Dothraki (Like Robert and Ned were), nobody see the invasion of Aegon coming...

I see. Surely, Viserys wouldn't accept it gently though. Or Illyrio thought it'd be easier to kill him when he was alone and powerless in Pentos while Aegon started his campaign.

This and Doran. Either they're just really dumb, or there's gonna be a huge mindboggling reveal. I'm leaning towards the former though :(

It's funny that Doran didn't assist Viserys and Dany at all and kept his plan based on hope.

This really bothers me too.

I mean, why give a girl you expect to die 3 extremely valuable dragon eggs? Why did Vary's pass on Robert's order to assassinate Dany if they wanted her and the Dothraki to invade Westeros and then have Aegon save the day? I guess they could have hoped it would piss Khal off enough to invade Westeros, but was it worth gambling 3 dragon eggs and all the time you spend on raising Aegon? In reality he could have hired sell swords with the dragon eggs and used them to invade Westeros. I can't accept the justification given for their actions.

Apparently, Dany's maindenhead was very important, or else if Viserys "claimed it" like he wanted to, he would ruin "years of planning". I don't know why the dothraki matter at all.

I never got that. The way the Dothraki are presented, you'd think they wouldn't be too worried about their maidenheads either way. Especially with them being a nomadic horse culture.

This really bothers me too.

I mean, why give a girl you expect to die 3 extremely valuable dragon eggs? Why did Vary's pass on Robert's order to assassinate Dany if they wanted her and the Dothraki to invade Westeros and then have Aegon save the day? I guess they could have hoped it would piss Khal off enough to invade Westeros, but was it worth gambling 3 dragon eggs and all the time you spend on raising Aegon? In reality he could have hired sell swords with the dragon eggs and used them to invade Westeros. I can't accept the justification given for their actions.

some people think the plan seem to be that you kill her to get the dothraki to invade and have agon beat them as a savior.

also how valuable are those eggs for real? nobody thought they would hatch or anything? i never get a clear idea how valuable eggs are when everyone thinks they are fossils.

I think he expected Dany to die. He tells as much to Tyrion when he says he never really expected she would survived much longer among the Dothraki. As for Viserys, some people say Illyrio was just using reverse psychology with him and wanted him to die as well

But to be honest, I think that whole plan is convoluted as all hell

Why give her the dragon eggs then though? I mean from what we're told those things could have paid for an entire army.

Maybe the plan was for Dany to come through if she's worthy/strong enough and become the perfect Targaryen consort for Aegon? I mean, she's definitely served as a good distraction, but then comes the question already asked of "why give her the super-valuable dragon eggs?"

Archived