Some parallels between ASoIaF and Avatar: The Last Airbender.

KozySauce

So I recently re-watched Avatar, a show I adored when I first watched it and I enjoyed it even more the second time around. If you haven't seen it I can't recommend it enough, it's a great watch. If you plan on watching it and really don't want anything spoiled to you whatsoever, I wouldn't read this topic, I'll try not to spoil anything major but some things need to be said in order to explain things properly. Anyway, while watching I started to notice a few glaring similarities between Avatar characters and ASoIaF characters, the most obvious ones are within the Fire Nation royal family:

Ozai = Tywin Lannister. This one isn't perfectly accurate, Ozai and Tywin's personalities are quite different, but Ozai is the patriarch of his family and runs it with an iron fist. For that I say he is Tywin.

Iroh = Tyrion Lannister. This one doesn't need much explanation if you've seen the show. Everyone loves Iroh. He's one of the most likeable characters on the show and he is a LOT like Tyrion in the way his character is presented to you. I can't explain fully without spoilers, but all I'll say is... something in Iroh's past haunts him throughout the show and he constantly lives in his brother Ozai's shadow. Very similar to how Tyrion lives in Tywin's shadow and is haunted by what happened with Tysha.

Zuko = Jaime Lannister. We start off the show by seeing Zuko's bad side, and he was almost universally hated (I say almost because I remember pro-Zuko people existed when Season 1 of the show was airing), much like Jaime was at the start of AGoT. However, a major event sparks a change in Zuko's character, and we gradually see him change for the better. Eventually, he becomes a fan favourite character. It's a classic redemption arc and it's compelling. I can't say too much about the exact similarities because Jaime's arc has not finished yet, but the two characters share a lot in common, especially in their relationships with their families. One big difference however is that Zuko, unlike Jaime, is not his Father's golden child. That "honour" goes to his sister.

Azula = Cersei Lannister. This one may be the most clear cut comparison of all. Azula is confident in herself, much like Cersei. She wants to prove her worth in the family, much like Cersei. And most importantly, she's crazy. While Cersei and Azula differ in that Azula is a very competent fighter and Cersei is a somewhat competent politician, they both are extremely confident in their abilities. Maybe a little bit too confident. And in the end, their unstable nature is what gets them into a... let's just say.. less than favourable situation.

So, those are the Avatar characters that really stood out to me as similar to ASoIaF characters. Sorry if this has been brought up before here, it probably has, either way I hope you found this topic interesting. Anyone have any other characters they find similar to ASoIaF characters? I have a few less obvious ones, Toph reminds me of Arya a little bit and Zhao at first seemed to me like a Randyll Tarly type because of his military prowess, but later on I started seeing him as more of a Mace Tyrell because of his incompetence, he thinks highly of himself and has some merit but when it comes down to it he most likely won't get the job done.

Dialogue by Barristan Selmy:

Lion. Stag. Direwolf. Dragon.

Long ago, the seven kingdoms lived together in harmony. Then, everything changed when the Baratheons attacked.

Only Rhaegar, son of the King could stop them. But, when Westeros needed him most, he was slaughtered.

Several years passed and Pentos discovered the new queen, a Targaryen named Dany. And, although her charisma is great, she has a long way to go before she's ready to rule anyone.

But I believe, Dany could rule the world..

Westeros: The Last Targaryen.

Long ago, the seven kingdoms lived together in harmony. Then, everything changed when the Baratheons attacked.

Only Rhaegar, son of the King could stop them. But, when Westeros needed him most, he was slaughtered.

Several years passed and Pentos discovered the new queen, a Targaryen named Dany. And, although her charisma is great, she has a long way to go before she's ready to rule anyone.

This is literally the greatest thing in asoiaf existence EVER

@Lord Cactus I liked it, but it's quite the whitewash. No mention of Aerys burning people alive? Or of Rhaeghar disappearing with Lord Starks daughter?

Ah c'mon, it's just a bit of fun. If A:TLA was in Westeros, I'm sure each of the nations wouldn't be in "harmony" and the Fire Nation could be justified somehow. :P

Aerys was definitely a fire bender, that much is certain.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

:bowdown:

The internet is yours.

/thread

Anyone want to brainstorm what Nation major characters would be from?

Water Tribe

Jon Snow

Littlefinger

Catelyn Stark

Blackfish

Lysa Arryn

The Queen of Thorns

The Red Viper

Stannis Baratheon

Meera Reed

Roose Bolton

Ramsay Bolton