The (Unofficial) Official Stannis Baratheon Appreciation Thread

Reynestorm

I admit it.

When I first read through the series, Stannis was a dull character to me.

He had his moments. He defended the Wall and whatnot, but his R'hllor worshippers turned me off from his campaign. I never really enjoyed him.

And then, I encountered this forum.

Here, I quickly found multiple threads stating the brilliance of Stannis Baratheon. I was confused. Stannis killed his brother through assassination, and stares into fires for most of his chapters. Why would people actually like his character?

So, I reread, looking for the traits that people actually liked about Stannis.

And, this forum was right. He is brilliant.

Sarcastic. Just. Witty. Stannis would be a brilliant king.

So, with all the threads debating many of Stannis' goods and bads, I wanted to dedicate a thread just to the love of the Mannis.

Here, we discuss the many brilliant moments we have found through readings and rereadings of King Stannis.

My personal favorite Stannis quote

I ask you, why did the gods inflict me with brothers?

So, together we clench our jaws and ward of the night with a fire, because the true king is coming...even if GRRM basically told us all he was meant to be nothing more than a distraction.

"Lady Stark," Stannis Baratheon said with chill courtesy as he reined up. He inclined his head, balder then she remembered.

"Lord Stannis," she returned.

Beneath the tight-trimmed beard his heavy jaw clenched hard, yet he did not hector her about titles. For that she was duly grateful. "I had not thought to find you at Storm's End."

"I had not thought to be here."

His deepset eyes regarded her uncomfortably. This was not a man made for easy courtesies. "I am sorry for your lord's death," he said, "though Eddard Stark was no friend to me."

"He was never your enemy, my lord. When the Lords Tyrell and Redwyne held you prisoned in that castle, starving, it was Eddard Stark who broke the siege."

"At my brother's command, not for love of me," Stannis answered. "Lord Eddard did his duty, I will not deny it. Did I ever do less? I should have been Robert's Hand."

"That was your brother's will. Ned never wanted it."

"Yet he took it. That which should have been mine. Still, I give you my word, you shall have justice for his murder."

So, together we clench our jaws and ward of the night with a fire, because the true king is coming...even if GRRM basically told us all he was meant to be nothing more than a distraction.

When did he do that :( . I don't want him to be a simple distraction. He's the only King who actually bothered to go and help the Night's Watch, and understands the danger beyond the Wall.

Still, he is and will probably remain among my favorite characters until the end. He resembles me way too much in terms of personality for me not to like him. I lack his strength of character though. I also lack his best quality, which is his brutal honesty. I am honest, but I try to downplay the truth when it is bitter, if I can. Also, living in a country in Eastern Europe, where every politician can break the law and almost always get away with it, it is natural for me to like a person like Stannis. I wish he (or someone like him) were the prime minister of my country :( . He is lawful, just and capable. What's not to like?

Indeed, what's not to like about him? Personally he's one of the most relatable characters for me. His honesty, his sense of justice. He's also far from perfect - as any great character should be. He fights for what he thinks it's right and he doesn't even give a damn if all the odds are against him. He does what he does because he believes in it and because that is what he's chosen to do.

Stannis does not want your appreciation. It's his by rights.

This is just brilliant. Well done, sir.

Archived