In Jamie's place, what would the other six Kingsguards have done?

TimJames

There were seven Kingsguard knights, all told to guard the king. However, one of them (Jamie) killed the king he was supposed to guard (Aerys) because said king plotted to burn the whole city to the ground with wildfire.

If Jamie was sent to guard the tower of joy, and one of the other six kingsguard knights was in KingsLanding, would they have done the same thing. If not, what would they have done?

All of them would have subdued the King without killing him, both because they have more experience and because they hate Aerys less (also Aerys hadn't ordered them to kill their own fathers). It's the KG's job to protect the King from himself if the need arises.

Rossart might be a goner whoever was there, though.

I think every one of them but Lewyn Martell would have protected Aerys right to the end, had they been in King's Landing. This is even accounting for the fact that by then, they may have been following Rhaegar more than the king.

Lewyn Martell would have protected Elia and her children at all costs. Some might say maybe Dayne would as well, but Dayne stood against Eddard Stark after the war was pretty much done, so I think whatever duty he has, he probably chooses to go down fighting.

I think every one of them but Lewyn Martell would have protected Aerys right to the end, had they been in King's Landing. This is even accounting for the fact that by then, they may have been following Rhaegar more than the king.

Lewyn Martell would have protected Elia and her children at all costs. Some might say maybe Dayne would as well, but Dayne stood against Eddard Stark after the war was pretty much done, so I think whatever duty he has, he probably chooses to go down fighting.

I think all of them would have stopped him, but none would have killed him. Rossart was a goner for sure, but the White Bull and Barristan would have knocked the king and confined him to his quarters while they rallied the defenders of the city. All of them, knowing Tywin for years would have never opened the doors.

Even if they trusted Tywin, every one of them would have died protecting Maegor's once the sacking started, Barristan, Hightower and Dayne would be more than happy to cut Tywin and his dogs to pieces instead of killing the king and allowing the butchering of Elia. Dayne and Hightower kept their vows to the bitter end, had they been in KL, the history of House Lannister could be very different.

Probably would have allowed Aerys to burn the city and let themselves get torched with it. Out of all of Aerys' KG, only Jaime actually proved he would do what's actually right instead of being "honorable" and blindly obedient to a lunatic.

That's why Arthur and Whent confabulated with Rhaegar to remove such lunatic?

Technically, that would be treason as well, wouldn't it?

The KG vows are those of a sworn knight + the hold no lands/titles/family/riches of the NW... Their vow is to keep the king safe at all costs, but since they are also knights and not just sworn shields, doing something to protect the realm, the faith and the weak is a must. Finding a way to do it without harming the king directly may not be easy, but it must be done.

In that case I think that it's not treason since you're not harming physically the king nor betraying him to his enemies. You're just keeping him from doing something stupid... You're protecting him from getting burned which is in line with your vow.

I'd say Gerold and Barristan, would probably try to reason with the king and would plea for him to change his mind. My guess is that they would eventually at the very last moment decide to stand up to the king or arrest him (or even kill him) but it might already be too late.

Arthur Dayne seem like someone who thinks out of the box. He was also probably more aware and worried about Aerys' paranoia than some of the others. I think he'd try to restrain and/or incapacitate the king much earlier on. If that failed, he might have pulled Jaime.

Not sure about Whent, Lewyn or the others.

I honestly never understood why Jaime got so much flak for being hesitant to kill his father and for not allowing Aerys to burn the city. You'd think they would pin a medal on him or something. I think a lot of people, Selmy especially, are just projecting their own failures and inadequacies in regards to the rebellion.

I honestly never understood why Jaime got so much flak for being hesitant to kill his father and for not allowing Aerys to burn the city. You'd think they would pin a medal on him or something. I think a lot of people, Selmy especially, are just projecting their own failures and inadequacies in regards to the rebellion.

No one knew he was gonna burn down the city though

Archived