New forum suggestion

Gertrude

I apologize if this is not the right place to bring this up, but I didn't know of a more appropriate way to bring this up.

With season 5 coming out soon and the new trailer out, I was wondering if maybe we need a new forum that would provide a safe place for people to talk about the books and show together. Already in the general book forum I've seen a few topics touching on the trailers for the show and what that means for the direction of the books. We've seen it happen already last season concerning *stuff*.

If there is a sanctioned place for this type of discussion to happen, I don't know where it is as it doesn't seem to intuitively fit in either the current show or book threads. I know that several people were upset that show cannon was brought into book speculation in the general book threads. Several of the posters making those threads seemed genuinely confused as to why people didn't like it or where else the conversation should have gone.

I know that I've seriously considered not watching the series going forward because I wanted to read the story in the books first.* I would hate it if the books forum became a land-mine for the unsuspecting. This forum was dedicated to the books long before it was ever a show, I would like it to stay a safe place for that.

* (I know I'm fooling myself about not watching the show til the books are out. I don't have that kind of will power. I like to dream that I'm made of sterner stuff though :p)

They do, but they also exist in the books forum. And yes, I am mostly worried about what happens when the show goes beyond where the books currently are.

My concern is that the people who post things in the book forum using show elements to fuel speculation a lot of times don't understand that it's really not the appropriate place for it. I just think a subforum in the HBO section explicitly stating that it's a combined speculation thread would be helpful to draw a clear line.

eta: because I am a curious sort, I noticed that you (Consigliere) have even posted in a thread I was talking about. It was in the books forum about R+L=J, using information from outside the books or SSM. So even though you know where this discussion should be, you didn't bat an eye at this. This is a minor example of what could come, but I don't want it to creep into being the accepted norm.

I agree. While this won't stop people from posting show-only information in the book forum, it at least gives them a place to discuss this information without getting dismissive "show-only" replies, which can be frustrating.

Also it means there's a place to start threads with spoilers in the titles without upsetting anyone.

Archived