Reading Ahead...?

Conway317

I just watched all of the Game of Thrones episodes to date and I bought the first book of ASoIaF, but I really want to read the newest book so I can continue the story line. The first book just seemed so much like the first season of GoT that I really want to read fresh material so I can be surprised at what's happening in the storyline.

So, what do you guys think if I just started reading where season 4 left off and which book exactly would that be? Thanks :)

Welcome!

This is a very common question. The problem is that the show is becoming increasingly different from the books. Roughly, you would start at A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons, as the two are combined. However, I would recommend starting at A Game of Thrones and reading all of them. It is the best way, in my opinion, and believe me when I say you won't regret it

Welcome!

This is a very common question. The problem is that the show is becoming increasingly different from the books. Roughly, you would start at A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons, as the two are combined. However, I would recommend starting at A Game of Thrones and reading all of them. It is the best way, in my opinion, and believe me when I say you won't regret it

Thanks! And I'll try, its just hard to read the first book because it's SO similar to the series, it feels like the series spoiled that entire book for me, but I will try to read them all through.

Thanks! And I'll try, its just hard to read the first book because it's SO similar to the series, it feels like the series spoiled that entire book for me, but I will try to read them all through.

It will start to diverge more as you go along. And AGOT is pretty short :)

I suppose if you really wanted to skip, I would start with ASOS, but no later than that.

There is no specific "point" within the book series that you can continue from where the show was left off because some characters on the show are already caught up with book storyline and some others that are way behind.

In any case I wouldn't recommend anyone to do that. Books are different from the show (even if the main storyline is the same) and you'll find plenty of little surprises to keep you interested. Even if you start reading from, say, book 4 (A feast for crows) and finish the series, I'd bet you will go back to read the first 3 - at least that is what happened to some people I know that attempted what you said. Also, even the first book that is very close to the first season of the show, contains essential information to fully appreciate the rest of the story.

There is no specific "point" within the book series that you can continue from where the show was left off because some characters on the show are already caught up with book storyline and some others that are way behind.

In any case I wouldn't recommend anyone to do that. Books are different from the show (even if the main storyline is the same) and you'll find plenty of little surprises to keep you interested. Even if you start reading from, say, book 4 (A feast for crows) and finish the series, I'd bet you will go back to read the first 3 - at least that is what happened to some people I know that attempted what you said. Also, even the first book that is very close to the first season of the show, contains essential information to fully appreciate the rest of the story.

Here's the thing: The reason why I want to read the latest book is so that the series doesn't spoil it for me. You're right, I will definitely go back and reread the other previous books while I wait for season 6 to come out. I just wanted to get the experience of reading the latest book before the series comes back on so I don't get spoiled.

Here's the thing: The reason why I want to read the latest book is so that the series doesn't spoil it for me. You're right, I will definitely go back and reread the other previous books while I wait for season 6 to come out. I just wanted to get the experience of reading the latest book before the series comes back on so I don't get spoiled.

I see what you are saying but the show will not be on air until late April-May. Plus, you can always watch the show after you are done with the books :)

Anyway, without trying to impose anything I'll just tell you I've been in a similar situation. After season 3 was finished, I couldn't wait a whole year to know what is going to happen next so I bought the books. I was pondering on whether I should start from the beginning and then I decided on that. I'm glad I did! I can assure you the experience of reading the part of the story that is new for you, will be totally different if what you know till that point comes from the books than from the show.

I see what you are saying but the show will not be on air until late April-May. Plus, you can always watch the show after you are done with the books :)

Anyway, without trying to impose anything I'll just tell you I've been in a similar situation. After season 3 was finished, I couldn't wait a whole year to know what is going to happen next so I bought the books. I was pondering on whether I should start from the beginning and then I decided on that. I'm glad I did! I can assure you the experience of reading the part of the story that is new for you, will be totally different if what you know till that point comes from the books than from the show.

Thanks for your help :) I think ill just read them from the beginning. Hopefully ill read them all in time haha

Thanks for your help :) I think ill just read them from the beginning. Hopefully ill read them all in time haha

The first book might be feel a bit slow for you (it was for me too. I started reading after season one) but the book is a bit different from season one, and each book progressively gets farther and farther away from the show.

Worst case scenario: You can look at any thread on here and get all the spoilers you need :P

The show has the main story lines from books 1-3 covered. If you really want to start reading from the middle, then AFFC and ADWD are the books you'll want to read before the show begins. However, it will be easier for you to understand them (and you will appreciate them more) if you've already read ACOK and ASOS.

But even if Season 1 follows the story of AGOT really closely, there are many elements from the character and world building which had to be cut. So I recommend you read at least the first two chapters from each point of view character from all books you plan to skip. And also their last chapters from ASOS, if you plan to start with AFFC.

you can go online and get the main plot points if you want. this sites wiki is pretty good. id definitely say read the books in order though. its much more detailed and gives a lot more of the characters thoughts than the show can portray. not to mention itll give you a different perspective on some of the shows scenes or routes they took instead of going strait off the pages.

some of it is pretty boring, be prepared for chapters where nothing important happens, but you can always just skim through those parts if its not your style. some people love analyzing every word and some people get tired of reading page after page of catelyn being worried about robb.

I just watched all of the Game of Thrones episodes to date and I bought the first book of ASoIaF, but I really want to read the newest book so I can continue the story line. The first book just seemed so much like the first season of GoT that I really want to read fresh material so I can be surprised at what's happening in the storyline.

So, what do you guys think if I just started reading where season 4 left off and which book exactly would that be? Thanks :)

Trust me there is no shortage of surprises in the books. Completely different from the series. I watched the program first but the books takes it to a whole new level, I look at them as two different story's there's that much difference. Keep reading you will see how brilliant the books are.

Happy reading :)

I would recommend to start with ASOS or if you really can't wait with AFFC. There are some very interesting and important things in ASOS which didn't occur in the TV show so far.

I started with the first book and read all of them in order because many people told me it would be the best way. To be honest i couldn't enjoy the first two books at all. The story is pretty much the same as in the TV show. Of course the books are good and interesting and there is much to learn. But if you just want to know what will happen they just feel boring and you will rush through.

It depends on you and how much time you have to read.

Welcome!

:agree:

I have been reading these books since 1996. As someone new to it all, you have yet to experience the extreme anguish of us old timers in Waiting for the New Shit. So, roll up your sleeves and get right into it. Reading A Clash of Kings and A Storm of Swords will cause you to have to immediately rewatch seasons 2 and 3, and spot the (major and important) differences. Then you can see why A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons have diverged on the show from the book content. It'll give you a new perspective, and, more importantly, a good time, while you wait for the new stuff. If you do all that and still can't get enough, it's time for the Dunk and Egg stories, the world book, The Princess and the Queen, and The Rogue Prince.

I have to agree with the majority here. You really do benefit from reading all of them. There are some pretty major plot points, even in the 1st book, that have barely been touched upon in the show. I would also recommend throwing the Tales of Dunk and Egg in there too. They are short novellas with extremely interesting characters, great plot and some pretty interesting tidbits that greatly add to the world of Westeros

Archived