Shouldn't we say fan hypothesis, not theory?

Durran Durrandon

Hypothesizes are usually well backed up.

(ba duh tiss)

I guess it's the other way around, theories are tested hypotheses.

I don't know, I think we have lots of evidences for theories like Euron = Daario/Dusky Woman, it's not fair to call them hypothesis.

From what I've seen so far in this forum, grammar is a bigger concern than semantics (although it is far better that other online communities). I will call the fan theories whatever it is decided to be the correct way but I would also like to see people start writing "would have" instead of "would of" again.

From what I've seen so far in this forum, grammar is a bigger concern than semantics (although it is far better that other online communities). I will call the fan theories whatever it is decided to be the correct way but I would also like to see people start writing "would have" instead of "would of" again.

Or stop using

's to pluralize.

I'd be happy if they only said theory.

As it stands, they often say "Basically Canon". The hubris and arrogance of it is unsettling to say the least.

LOL!!

I wish I was joking about it. I heard people refer to their pet theory as "Basically Canon" or even outright "Canon" too many times.

I've only seen that said for R+L=J.

While that is where it is most commonly said, I am assuming it is said with other theories too.

In either way, its a bit arrogant. I mean, some proponents of the theory act like Martin confirmed it in a press conference.

"Ok, any questions about my book series? And if you ask when the next book is finished I swear to god I will write it completely in high Valyrian and only those who can translate it can read it."

"Jon's Snow's mother?"

"I don't want to give away too much. But yes, R plus L equals J".

No such press conference happened, so it is still firmly in the realm of theory.

Well, saying that R+L=J is "basically canon" is quite different than saying that Varys is Theon from the future is "basically canon".

For most people however comes down to their understanding of narrative and its structure, their self-confidence/arrogance and the boredom that comes from not having a new book. I believe that the first is the worst of all.

Well, saying that R+L=J is "basically canon" is quite different than saying that Varys is Theon from the future is "basically canon".

For most people however comes down to their understanding of narrative and its structure, their self-confidence/arrogance and the boredom that comes from not having a new book. I believe that the first is the worst of all.

Even if RLJ is a well supported theory, or even a very probable or likely theory, at the end of the day it is still a theory. (Wait, you meant to tell me Theon and Varys are two different people? How can that be?!)

I guess it's the other way around, theories are tested hypotheses.

I don't know, I think we have lots of evidences for theories like Euron = Daario/Dusky Woman, it's not fair to call them hypothesis.

This ignores the preponderance of evidence that Tywin is the dusky woman being warged by bloodraven

We SHOULD say conjecture, until it's well supported by thorough testing.

yes

Archived