Names of the stark children and meanings

sammy~two~swords

I was looking at the meaning of the names of the stark children & do you think G R R Martin named them with the menaing behind the name in his mind ?
Bran = Crow or raven in welsh
Arya = Means lioness in Hebrew
Rickon = In name numerology means strange , secret , mystic , loneliness , rest , study , knowledge
Rob = Bright with glory and fame glory
Jon = Gracious lord
Sansa = praise ,chram & invocation .Also read that its close to the latin name Sancia which means sacred & a Sancia Borgia of naples was married to Gioffre Borgie,who's 1st name is very close to joffrey, whom she loved for a time

I have some corrections here:

1. Rickon traces from Old German meaning "Ruler, king"

2. Arya is a Sanskrit derived word, meaning "pure, noble (of heart/soul)

Sansa as far as I know hasn't been well traced, but GRRM says all these names were chosen with deliberateness and care, and thus are important to the characters.

Interesting topic. Can you give me the sources where you have found these meanings? The language is important, too. After some search, I found some of these meanings but not all of them, and there can be different meanings in different languages.

I love that Bran means "raven" (definitely not a coincidence). Not so sure about"lioness" for Arya though... It sounds more like Cersei.

Rickon: "ruler, king"... hm.

It would be worth investigating the meanings of other ASOIAF names, too. Has anyone done a systematic study of that?

arya in Hebrew does mean lioness and rob meaning bright glory and a compound of hruod meaning fame,glory which seems to reflect the fame he had across westeros and he did have some glorious victorys.Jon meaning gracious lord seems to fit in with him...he is gracious and he is lord commander of night watch.sansa seems to mostly come up with charm,invocation and praise.
It does seem G RR Martin chose the names with a lot of thought

I ve also been trying to find historical legends and myths in which these names have been used ...just to see if I can find any common ground with asoiaf.
bran seems to have a few mythical characters who share his name and more....like in the story of the voyage of bran,which is a celtic myth he is told of a tree in which the birds all sing .he also could never go home or go back on dry land due to a curse or spell ....which makes me think bran wont be going home ever

As far as I've seen from his own words, the only real meaning behind Arya and Sansa is that they sound opposite of each other, with Arya being a harsher sound and Sansa a softer one. Nothing as crazy as some obscure hero/heroine from myths here and there. Bran I can understand, but not so much the others.

As far as I've seen from his own words, the only real meaning behind Arya and Sansa is that they sound opposite of each other, with Arya being a harsher sound and Sansa a softer one. Nothing as crazy as some obscure hero/heroine from myths here and there. Bran I can understand, but not so much the others.

Arya, though, for sure is a Sanskrit, meaning "Pure, noble (of heart/soul).

Bran is of course connected to Bran the Blessed, a mythic Welsh king who defeated an army of undead, Brandon the Builder who was the first King of Winter, and is the welsh word for "Raven."

Both the Stark girls have musical-ish names. Arya, apart from the Sanskrit meaning, sounds like aria, a sung solo. Emphasis on solo. And a sansa is an instrument, also called a "finger piano." Arya the lone wolf sounds like a "solo," and Sansa, the focus of so many people's schemes, sounds like an instrument that must be manipulated to play music.

Archived