How do you react when you suspect the cashier has "undercharged" you?

DireWolfSpirit

I don't think I've ever noticed getting undercharged on anything, most of the time I'm overcharged on stuff and usually it's only by a dollar or less so I don't give a crap. I like to scan my own groceries when I'm out shopping, so it's kinda hard to 'accidentally' miss or undercharge something. I'm not very judicious about checking the receipt but if I did notice a discrepancy, something on the order of a $1 or less, I probably wouldn't say anything. It's just not worth it. If it was more than that, I probably would, but I've never had that happen so it's entirely in the realm of conjecture.

At restaurants or bars, sometimes a drink will get left off the tab, but usually that's after an evening of heavy drinking so it's hard to tell just how much was missed or whether it was the waitress or bartender giving out a freebie or two.

Years ago, before I had my debit card, I went to the bank once to get some cash and the teller gave me an extra $20 than what I had requested. It was a straight up mistake, the extra $20 wasn't on my receipt, so I let her know and gave it back to her.

I dont check ifthe cashier overcharges, undercharges or misses items on the bill. However, when I'm given the wrong change, I bring it up, regardless of it being to my advantage or not. It's more and more rare as I pay a lot of things with my card. Although it has happened that the cashier put the wrong number in the card machine, if it's not connected to the cashing machine.

I seldom notice if I am over or undercharged. I'm more likely to notice if I went to a store for a specific really super good deal. The average shopping trip where I am randomly throwing things in my cart in an exhausted state? No.

If I receive more change than I should, I give it back because it will come out of the cashier's paycheck. If I receive less, I let them know as well since its my money.

I would never want to get anyone in trouble if their till was down. Would always tell someone if I got too much change. That's not some noble thing it's just me recognising someone with a job who could get in trouble for a little mistake and not wanting to be a part of that. Theres lots of things wrong with the company and ppl i work for but the people i work WITH are all great and most of them have degrees and we're being shouted at or threatened by red faced assholes. I actually had a man scrunch up paper and throw it right at my face because a dvd had gone up in price. These things arent up to fuckin sales assistants and cashiers and if a cashier is genuinely being shitty then fair enough about feeling annoyed and although i pretty much never act anything less than cheerful friendly sales girl sometimes its understandable if a retail person has just had enough shit for the day.

I made a joke earlier about overcharging asshole customers on purpose but that's not actually what i do, sometimes an item has a different barcode to the sticker thats currently on the front and sometimes its cheaper so i scan that as usually its the correct actual price but if theres a shitty customer i just scan the front evwn if ita an old sticker thats probably more expensive but theyre still only paying the price they expected to pay for the item anyway, if the item is labelled a certain price thats how much it is but its always nice if i quickly scan the back and tell the customer its 2 or 3 pound cheaper because that cant rly get me told off im not doing anything wrong and all my co-workers do it too.

I've been overcharged, more than once, but I can honestly say I've never been undercharged.

However, if I were to receive more change than I should I would hand it back to the cashier. By the same token whenever I've been overcharged I've let them no about it - in a polite but firm way.

If I check early enough, I'd tell.

But I admit that years ago I took advantage of a shop where the price of some kind of yoghurt was apparently wrong in their computer so the scanner/cashier receipt gave a different (lower) price than the price tag (and the price was obviously too low to be correct, like 29 cents instead of 79 or 89). I never told anyone and it apparently took them a few months to correct it. It was a mistake in the whole system, not any cashier's fault. But I didn't buy the stuff by the truckload or re-sell it more expensive ;)

Oh i get you now, just didn't understand before.

I found out theres a community of shoplifters sharing tips on tumblr and theyre all white teenage girls who are probably from middle class backgrounds just doing it for fun which is fucked up.

People who swap the barcodes on clothes pissed me off to no end in Primark. Some thought we were so gullible they just ripped off the barcode, then brought a lower price barcode to the till and said: "it fell off, but I brought this so you can scan it."

Gave me great satisfaction to see their smirk slide off their face as I typed in the kimbal number and charged the full price.

And on that note, I always inform a cashier if I am undercharged. In most cases I have done that its because I didn't realise there was some sort of offer on, but there have been ocassions where I was actually undercharged and paid in full after pointing it out.

ETA: I had a situation like the above once in Costa actually. I was charged something like £2 for a large festive drink which is usually £3.95 or something like that. I pointed out that I was undercharged and he said it was because the system was faulty so I could just have it for £2. Felt good, because I didn't feel guilty for deceiving the barriata but still gor a cheap coffee.

People who swap the barcodes on clothes pissed me off to no end in Primark. Some thought we were so gullible they just ripped off the barcode, then brought a lower price barcode to the till and said: "it fell off, but I brought this so you can scan it."

Gave me great satisfaction to see their smirk slide off their face as I typed in the kimbal number and charged the full price.

And on that note, I always inform a cashier if I am undercharged. In most cases I have done that its because I didn't realise there was some sort of offer on, but there have been ocassions where I was actually undercharged and paid in full after pointing it out.

People do that in HMV too, bring a sticker meant for one dvd and put it on a random blu-ray and i"m like "yeah...this is not the right price"

People do that in HMV too, bring a sticker meant for one dvd and put it on a random blu-ray and i"m like "yeah...this is not the right price"

Do you get the: "Oh, it was on a £2 stand..." customers? Again, I took great pleasure in actually going to check whether the item was on a reduced stand. Sure, sometimes it was, but more often than not it wasn't.

To be fair though, I would always alert a supervisor if something scanned at a higher price than it should have and the customer didn't notice, so I like to think I was fair about these things. (alert supervisor to put it through at thw correct peice i mean)

If I check early enough, I'd tell.

But I admit that years ago I took advantage of a shop where the price of some kind of yoghurt was apparently wrong in their computer so the scanner/cashier receipt gave a different (lower) price than the price tag (and the price was obviously too low to be correct, like 29 cents instead of 79 or 89). I never told anyone and it apparently took them a few months to correct it. It was a mistake in the whole system, not any cashier's fault. But I didn't buy the stuff by the truckload or re-sell it more expensive ;)

We can be friends in Hell.

if you are english and admit to stealing in this thread, then if i ever meet you then i'm going to arrest your ass, preferably on a saturday so you spend all day sunday in the cells before court on monday. stealy fucks!

Back when I was a barman I regularly got free drinks/upgrades and massively under charged when drinking in our regular after work / lunch time spots. I once even had to tell a newish barman off for charging me £0.01 for a drink when I gave him my card... I explained that charging me for SOMETHING on the menu is fine, but £0.01 is obviously a freebie and he could lose his job / fuck it up for everyone.

So, want to meet up next Saturday? I'm in Central London if that's okay for you, and could do with compensation for wrongful arrest. No way in hell a conversation in this thread would be considered reasonable grounds for arrest, let alone lead to a court date. After all, for all you know I'm just saying that to sound cool.

Back when I was a barman I regularly got free drinks/upgrades and massively under charged when drinking in our regular after work / lunch time spots. I once even had to tell a newish barman off for charging me £0.01 for a drink when I gave him my card... I explained that charging me for SOMETHING on the menu is fine, but £0.01 is obviously a freebie and he could lose his job / fuck it up for everyone.

So, want to meet up next Saturday? I'm in Central London if that's okay for you, and could do with compensation for wrongful arrest. No way in hell a conversation in this thread would be considered reasonable grounds for arrest, let alone lead to a court date. After all, for all you know I'm just saying that to sound cool.

its nice, that you think you know the law better than i do.

When I'm overcharged, I almost always go back to customer service or whatever unless it's a small amount of money.

Undercharged... I can't particularly remember, just times when I've considered buying something at a certain price and getting to the checkout and found it was a lower price. Most notably a coat that just happened to be in my size (the last one) for £7 at Primark, got to the checkout and it was £3. Lady didn't even blink, just put it through for me XD bargain of the year.

One time I 'accidentally' sold a M&S bra to a woman for 1p because I didn't know how to correct it. It was a till issue or something, it was only supposed to be like £2-£3 because it was a final clearance item but I handed it to her anyway. She was pretty... shocked... lol, I would be too if I got a bra for 1p.

ETA: the one time I went into Boots and accidentally stole something :/ it was lip hair removal cream or something, I remember looking at it and deciding I didn't want it, idk when it ended up in my bag but I saw it at home and my mum was shocked too, telling me it's such a bad thing to do and all (I felt guilty as heck too) but decided not to go back cus I was a coward

I've seen people steal from my workplace but there are the nice ones who return things they accidentally took too

One guy, he was mentally handicapped (please tell me if I'm using the wrong word, i don't want to offend anyone) and he had a carer with him. He opened two bags of apples, took half out of one bag and put it in the other. My colleague (who had served him) mentioned she'd scanned a bag of apples that looked like there were too many in there and she was suspicious of whether he'd taken more out of another bag. I went to see, and of course there was an opened bag with half the applies in it. Apparently the guy didn't know what he was doing was wrong but he had a carer who knew perfectly well and didn't stop him, when she should have.

Then there was a gentleman apparently who took a bag of potatoes by mistake, he got his daughter in law to write a note saying he accidentally took them and came to return them, he was over 90 and could only just about walk. Poor soul, he came all that way just to hand over a bag of potatoes he'd taken by mistake, some people are genuinely honest but some are just plain assholes, I've seen my fair share of both.

I've asked the cashier before if she scanned a particular item. I usually allow overcharges to take place, sometimes as much as a $1.00.

A couple of weeks ago I was at Pret and I got a half sandwich for $3.99 and chips for .99 cents. The girl rings me up and the total is $15.04. Living in NYC you get used to everything being overpriced. So for a second there I was simply going to pay, until I remembered the price of the sandwich; $3.99. So, yeah, I brought it to her attention and she made the correction; final price was actually $5 and some change.

We're caught! What we need to do now is change our user names and stay under the radar for a while. It will blow over soon enough...I hope.

If you're over charged tell them. If you are undercharged, it depends how much. And that's really your call. Sometimes things just do not scan at all, and if I've had a long day I don't want to get on the intercom and call center store, wait for them to call me back, ask how much something is, wait a few more minutes and then price it correctly when they call me back. So I will just throw it down and give it to you for free.

If they miss something on the bottom of your cart then say so (like 12 packs of soda or something). But if you notice them put something in front of the scanner and hear no beep and they just go along then maybe it's an item that doesn't work and they just stopped caring after a few hours of work (which happens to me sometimes, and it really is a hassle to price check things). If they notice and I notice they notice then I'll ask if they remember how much it was and go with it but if they say "Lol, idk" then I really have no other choice but to get the price.

For those that view failing to inform the cashier of the undercharge as shoplifting.

How far are you willing to go to correct a retailers losses?

Should shoppers be willing to be proactive,

is it better to stay out of it, or is it a grey area for you , where it "depends?"

When is doing nothing, wrong in your eyes?

Does it make a difference how busy you may be that particular day?

Would you be willing to be late for work or an appointment over

getting involved/proactive?

Personally , I become a different sort of animal when I'm on my way to work.

I take on my "Don't get in my way" persona.

While I may stop for a pack of gum,

I'm sure I'm not going to take any time to get involved

with anyone elses problems at that time.

So for some the timing of these incidences might

become a factor?

Archived