Which character do you think the show has left out will be the biggest mistake by D&D for not including them?

Salvador

*SPOILERS*

After reading somewhere that George R.R. Martin said that by D&D not including Willas or Garland Tyrrell, it could come back to haunt them as they will have a big part to play, who else do you think the show has not cast will be big players or have important roles in the upcoming two novels?

*SPOILERS*

After reading somewhere that George R.R. Martin said that by D&D not including Willas or Garland Tyrrell, it could come back to haunt them as they will have a big part to play, who else do you think the show has not cast will be big players or have important roles in the upcoming two novels?

Won't know that until season 7!

I dont think any character is indispensable. Everyone could be worked around somehow.

It's more of a matter of personal tastes. Personally, if Euron never shows up in the series, I'll be disapointed.

Manderly, or some Lord/Lady inside Winterfell working against the Boltons comes off as indispensable, otherwise you have another Ramsay torture plot and Winterfell becomes much less interesting. There's no revenge effort to rise up against the Boltons. Then you're just left with Stannis attacking Roose which is more about winning the Seven Kingdoms and less about The North getting revenge for the RW. You have to do something with someone in a position of power inside WF looking to betray the Boltons.

Other than that, none of the other plots are particularly setup and "ready to go" where the omission of one character would damage the whole thing.

There is still time, but if she is cut, then Lady Stoneheart.

That character and plot would have been brilliant on the screen, especially because the Red Wedding was so memorable and Lady Stoneheart adds to that.

Such a missed opportunity if she is cut, painful really.

If they are not included, then Euron Greyjoy and Wyman Manderly.

Euron because I need some Ironborn badassery. So far they have been portrayed like a bunch of wimps. I mean, the deadliest killers in the Iron Islands running away from three dogs and a half naked boy? Besides, Dany needs a big enemy to fight when she finally land in Westeros...

Manderly because I desperately need that awesome "The North Remembers" speech. I will be very sad if I never see it on screen :bawl:

I can live without Arianne, Vic, Quentyn, fAegon, Strong Belwas and even LSH. Please, D&D, just give me my Crow's Eye and Lord Lard. I don't ask for much :(

As far as impact to the story, I think the omission of Lady Stoneheart thus far has to be considered the front runner. That said, I remain convinced they are saving her for a season 5 reveal.

Ultimately a lot more characters can be conflated, altered, or just have their actions reassigned than we would automatically think. Manderly will more than likely come up since Davos will need to be pointed towards Rickon ( I suspect D&D would have cut Davos if not for this elemtn of his story, which is sad), and with Jon/Stannis scenes to write they will need to move Davos on soon as Martin himself did.

Honestly though, every other belligerent Northern lord we have could be combined to the GreatJon being sent back as Roose's prisoner/forced ally. We didn't spend a great deal of time getting into Northern politics in the first season, so they may just want to stick to simplicity and focus on characters we know.
Euron and Vic will likely be combined, though we will suffer for not having which ever of the two s the more recessive of the combo. We'll likely see Asha return home to Balon being dead by about the middle of the season and will then be able to gauge how they'll be handling that plot.

But the one character I'm really most sad we won't see is Strong Belwas. He's kind of a joke, but he adds something of indefinable value to Dany's storyline and gives Barristan an awesome friend.

Cutting out Lady Stoneheart would be a real error on the part of the showrunners. Catelyn's story arc is incomplete - she gets killed thinking that her children are all gone, and also bitterly regretting her heartless treatment of Jon Snow, a motherless child. I haven't even mentioned that she still thinks Jon Snow is her husband's bastard. We don't want her to die unavenged with a soul that is not at rest. If the producers needed to cut her out, they should not have taught us those things (especially her relationship with Jon Snow.)
I want the satisfaction of seeing the Freys and Lannisters annhilated, but I'm not really moved by the thought of *only* Littlefinger and Sansa killing. I want that pair to play a part and then have LF meet LS. Getting surprised in a story is fine with me but I know a bad edit when I see one. My hope is that the producers are just torturing us by pretending like she isn't included.

D&D aren't going to make any omissions that will ruin the show's version of the end game. They know the ultimate fates of the characters. "Mistakes" here is just being used as a synonym for "stuff I miss from the books."

I think you are mistaken on that one. You shouldn't be so quick to judge anyone who criticizes the show as a bunch of immature book readers. If an omission doesn't change the end game, doesn't mean it doesn't hurt the story somehow. I believe the omission of LSH hurts the storytelling by leaving Catelyn's story unfinished, and by making the BwB somewhat... Useless? I mean, what's their point?

Plus, Euron Greyjoy seems to be a big badass and an important enemy for Daenerys Targaryen in the future. If he is cut, alright, they can have Dany fight Cersei or Stannis, or even Balon. But it would hurt GRRM's universe not to have an important Greyjoy around, or to leave the leeches plot unfinished. Basically, we're not complaining that the show doesn't follow the books precisely, but some deviations seem too important for the course of the story (even if they are not for the grand finale)

I think you are mistaken on that one. You shouldn't be so quick to judge anyone who criticizes the show as a bunch of immature book readers. If an omission doesn't change the end game, doesn't mean it doesn't hurt the story somehow. I believe the omission of LSH hurts the storytelling by leaving Catelyn's story unfinished, and by making the BwB somewhat... Useless? I mean, what's their point?

But we have no idea if LSH "finishes" Cat's story in the book either. Having her murder Freys doesn't finish her story. The rest is still very unknown. And LSH's story isn't the BwB. They have their own story, which may be as simple as to show how R'hollor creates his version of the undead. Or something more elaborate. We just don't know at this stage. D&D do. That doesn't mean they don't make mistakes but they definitely have more info that we do.

I don't think Cat will finish as Lady Stoneheart. My guess is somehow she will choose to die again as Catelyn and at peace. Perhaps willing at the hands of Jon Snow or to save Jon Snow from some disaster.

After watching the Red Wedding on GoT but before I read the books I felt this way about Catelyn's death. Robb's death was surprising, but made perfect sense later. He was too perfect, with his only crime being love? Yep, he was begging to be offed early in the story.

So to me, Cat's tv self has a strong potential to be always a poorly scripted character because they missed out LSH. The BWB have their toe touching the line because they still haven't redeemed themselves for trying to sell Arya. Tell me they'll fix things by helping Brienne or Sansa to get vengeance and I'll shrug my shoulders. Big deal, it's not creepy and reminiscent of the "old ways" like the combo of LSH and BWB scaring the everliving crap out of Walder Frey, with maybe even LSH spit-roasting Lord Frey herself. I stole that last bit from another post someone made about what might happen to Lord Walder.

Tysha and Patchface are a couple of characters I regret not getting to see on the show but only because I've read the books. Otherwise, I'd be oblivious.

The theories floating out there about various characters' and their ultimate fates is endlessly fascinating to me to the point where I fear GRRM will change the outcomes to lesser versions just to surprise us.

The internet is a strange thing. Even though I'm nearly done reading the books a second time, I couldn't have figured out half the stuff other people have, nor would I have had the chance to read it.

Archived