Grand Citadel Conspiracy in the Iron Islands?

Quellon Greyjoy still sat the Seastone Chair when Robert Baratheon, Eddard Stark, and Jon Arryn raised their banners in rebellion. Age had only served to deepen his cautious nature, and as the fighting swept across the green lands, his lordship resolved to take no part in the war. But his sons were relentless in their hunger for gain and glory, and his own health and strength were failing. For some time his lordship had been troubled by stomach pains, which had grown so excruciating that he took a draught of milk of the poppy every night to sleep. Even so, he resisted all entreaties until a raven came to Pyke with word of Prince Rhaegar’s death upon the Trident. These tidings united his three eldest sons: the Targaryen were done, they told him, and House Greyjoy must needs join the rebellion at once or lose any hope of sharing in the spoils of victory.

Lord Quellon gave way. It was decided that the ironborn would demonstrate their allegiance by attacking the nearest Targaryen loyalists.

was Quellon being poisoned to undermine him in favor of his more belligerent sons?

How did the Ironborn communicate over long distances before Quellon imported Maesters?

I'd like to know this too. The were actually cut off from the fastest/most important communication system of Westeros. It was one of the things in TWOIAF that struck me as odd. I mean even in the far north they have maesters (and even a few septons).

I think the Ironborm used boats with envoys. Another problem is that illiteracy has to be more abundant in the Iron Isles than in the other Kingdoms, because they had just few septons and no maesters until recent times.

Archived