Jon/Arya/Tyrion love triangle becomes the Gendry/Arya/(possibly)Aegon?

Starry Night

Hello everyone, im a new poster here but i have been following this forum for quite a while now. I read the books years ago and kinda lost interest but the new letter that has been revealed in the media renewed my curiosities all over again lol.

Considering the way the story is progressing, i doubt that the Jon/Arya/Tyrion love triangle will be occurring in the story. Frankly im happy about that. the original plot revealed in the letter makes the story seem to be more like a fanfiction written by a 15 year old compared to the story that we now have.

Correct me if im wrong but Gendry was not mentioned in the actual letter which makes me think that he was not originally planned to be in the story and George may have added him after realizing that the original love triangle was not as interesting. There is a romantic irony in having Gendry and Arya fall in love as they are both representations of Robert and Lyanna, except that in this case, those 2 are genuinely in love with one another. I can see a happy ending for those two and it will be one where the Baratheon king/lord will finally have his Stark beloved. Now George may have decided on taking out the whole love triangle in which case, no one will be the younger "Rhaegar". Or he may have Aegon play Rhaegar's 3rd side of the triangle.

Any thoughts??

If GRRM still intends Arya to be part of any love triangle, it will be with Jon. A Jon/Arya/Gendry would be interesting. But Gendry is not a main character, never was, that's why he wasn't mentioned in that letter.

I actually think that Sansa would be Gendry's "Stark girl", just based on Jaime's remark about Sansa'd better marry a blacksmith somewhere and give up any claim. But they havent even met, so i'm not sure.

I don't see Aegon falling in love with Arya, they still would need to meet, and I don't see much chance for that anytime soon. But again, anything can happen.

Wellcome to the forums!

I believe that the idea of a love triangle as a central point has been toned down but still implemented, only "distributed" into the plot and characters.

So instead, we have the looming triangle of the "prequel" events (Rhaegar/Lyanna/Robert), the Catelyn triangles (LF/Cat/Brandon[Ned] and more importantly, Cat/LF/Lysa), we have minor ones like Asha and her boys and we even have not-exactly-romantic triangles like the Lannister siblings, where the two love the third but hate each other...

As I see it, the originally intended Jon/Arya/Tyrion triangle has been played out too, but in an altered form: it is of non romantic nature and Tyrion's part has been given to Ramsey (as was, apparently, all the draft Tyrion's northern plot); it's all the situation culminating to the pink letter, the anticipated "clash of bastards" only to be cancelled out (?) by Jon being Ceasared.

interesting thoughts :)

I dont think Gendry not being a main character affects his chances of ending up with Arya romantically. Somehow, i feel that this new version of events puts Jon and Arya's relationship on a much more platonic level. but then again anything could happen ;)

If GRRM still intends Arya to be part of any love triangle, it will be with Jon. A Jon/Arya/Gendry would be interesting. But Gendry is not a main character, never was, that's why he wasn't mentioned in that letter.

I actually think that Sansa would be Gendry's "Stark girl", just based on Jaime's remark about Sansa'd better marry a blacksmith somewhere and give up any claim. But they havent even met, so i'm not sure.

I don't see Aegon falling in love with Arya, they still would need to meet, and I don't see much chance for that anytime soon. But again, anything can happen.

Jaime also mentioned a baker. Sansa could marry Hot Pie.

interesting thoughts :)

I dont think Gendry not being a main character affects his chances of ending up with Arya romantically. Somehow, i feel that this new version of events puts Jon and Arya's relationship on a much more platonic level. but then again anything could happen ;)

I agree. There's foreshadowing for a potential future relationship between Arya and Gendry. Whether that means they'll be together, or it will go down as one of those "what might have been" things is anybody's guess at this point.

The only other character (currently) who Arya cares about, and isn't a full sibling of, is Jon.

I could see Aegon getting in on this if it weren't for my firm inkling that he's going to be paired with Sansa in a political marriage. (and then go Rhaegar by cheating on her with Elia Sand)

Gendry has clearly been set up as potential to love interest for Arya in the future, but not because they are "representations of Lyanna and Robert", since they are not, they are themselves, and Gendry is nothing like Robert in personality (fortunately), and Arya's relationship with him is a complete opposite of Lyanna/Robert.

I don't see any love triangles for her, but even if there is one, it sure won't be with fAegon (who is nothing like Rhaegar, BTW, and is IMO not his son, either). It's unlikely they'll even meet, and I don't see why they would have any interest in each other, personal or political.

Jaime also mentioned a baker. Sansa could marry Hot Pie.

I agree. There's foreshadowing for a potential future relationship between Arya and Gendry. Whether that means they'll be together, or it will go down as one of those "what might have been" things is anybody's guess at this point.

The only other character (currently) who Arya cares about, and isn't a full sibling of, is Jon.

I could see Aegon getting in on this if it weren't for my firm inkling that he's going to be paired with Sansa in a political marriage. (and then go Rhaegar by cheating on her with Elia Sand)

Random pairing is random. Sansa's storyline is clearly not about marrying handsome princess anymore, she has a very different love interest and a very different potential love triangle set up for her and foreshadowed even back in book 1, and Aegon has no reason to marry her, she wouldn't bring him any benefits in conquering the Iron Throne, she's the daughter of one of the usurpers in JonCon's eyes, and marrying Aegon wouldn't be helpful for Sansa to reclaim the North, either.

It's pretty clear that if fAegon is going to be in a love triangle with anyone, it would involve Arianne, and either Daemon Sand or Elia. Maybe it's a quadrangle. These are people actually sharing his storyline, and if he is going to be marrying someone to secure support in Westeros, it's going to be Arianne.

The idea of Jon and Arya as a romantic couple in the books is absurd. GRRM clearly abandoned that idea long time ago (fortunately) and created other love interests/potential love interests for them.

Sansa and Gendry? Or Hot Pie? :rofl: Talk about random pairings. GRRM was clearly winking at the readers with Jaime's comment, but it was obviously about Arya, who knows and was close to Gendry and Hot Pie, and has Gendry clearly foreshadowed as potential love interest. I bet GRRM would be laughing out loud if he knew that some fans took that to mean Sansa would be hooking up with either.

I don't think Aegon or Gendry are important enough to be a part of a major love triangle.

And the only way I can see Arya and Jon in a triangle, and find it acceptable, would be if Arya falls for him after discovering he is, biologically, her cousin, but because she is extremely traumatized and channels her sexual impulses towards the only man she can completely trust, while Jon sees her only as a sister, and enganges in a relantionship with someone else. If that ever happens, it would make a lot of sense to me, and I might even like it. As long as they never hook up.

Gendry has clearly been set up as potential to love interest for Arya in the future, but not because they are "representations of Lyanna and Robert", since they are not, they are themselves, and Gendry is nothing like Robert in personality (fortunately), and Arya's relationship with him is a complete opposite of Lyanna/Robert.

I don't see any love triangles for her, but even if there is one, it sure won't be with fAegon (who is nothing like Rhaegar, BTW, and is IMO not his son, either). It's unlikely they'll even meet, and I don't see why they would have any interest in each other, personal or political.

Random pairing is random. Sansa's storyline is clearly not about marrying handsome princess anymore, she has a very different love interest and a very different potential love triangle set up for her and foreshadowed even back in book 1, and Aegon has no reason to marry her, she wouldn't bring him any benefits in conquering the Iron Throne, she's the daughter of one of the usurpers in JonCon's eyes, and marrying Aegon wouldn't be helpful for Sansa to reclaim the North, either.

It's pretty clear that if fAegon is going to be in a love triangle with anyone, it would involve Arianne, and either Daemon Sand or Elia. Maybe it's a quadrangle. These are people actually sharing his storyline, and if he is going to be marrying someone to secure support in Westeros, it's going to be Arianne.

The idea of Jon and Arya as a romantic couple in the books is absurd. GRRM clearly abandoned that idea long time ago (fortunately) and created other love interests/potential love interests for them.

Sansa and Gendry? Or Hot Pie? :rofl: Talk about random pairings. GRRM was clearly winking at the readers with Jaime's comment, but it was obviously about Arya, who knows and was close to Gendry and Hot Pie, and has Gendry clearly foreshadowed as potential love interest. I bet GRRM would be laughing out loud if he knew that some fans took that to mean Sansa would be hooking up with either.

Dont get me wrong, i totally agree with you especially on the first paragraph. Like you said, Arya, Gendry and Aegon (or fAegon since i too doubt hes Rhaegar's son, but even if hes a Blackfyre he would still be a Targaryen descendant) are nothing like Lyanna, Robert or Rhaegar in terms of their personalities but i do think that in addition to the romantic aspects that have been set up for Arya and Gendry, those 2 ending up together would be a clever nod to the older trio considering how much we constantly hear that the younger trio "physically" resembles the older trio. Like others have said on this forum, Robert's dream was to unit the Baratheons and the Starks by marriage. he thought he would do it with Lyanna but it could very well end up being Arya and Gendry that realize this dream of his. It would also set up another nice lesson to the story in that you cant force marriage between 2 people just to realize a dream. if the dream is meant to be true, it will happen on its own time.

I too lean more on the side that Arya's love triangle has been crossed out. I like seeing Arya and Gendry as the two most straight-forward couples in this story.

You're missing something in my analysis. Sansa used to want to marry a prince. Now she's not interested. But that doesn't mean she won't end up married to a king temporarily anyway. I know the love interest you're talking about and I hope she ends up with him, but I think she's got a ways to go before there's even a chance of that happening.

Sansa can bring Aegon the North, the Riverlands, and the Vale. Unlike Dany, Aegon has not been spouting off about the "usurper's dogs." Ned Stark was a good man, even his enemies say so. As far as anyone knows she's the last remaining Stark. That gives her the North. Being Hoster Tully and Minisa Whent's grandchild, and Edmure Tully's niece gives her the support of the Riverlands. Being Jon Arryn's niece, first cousin to the current Lord of the Vale give her at least part of the Vale. With Littlefinger's help, this is doable. When the stories of her suffering become public she'll pick up popular support. She'll be Margaery 2.0

He'll weasel his way into Aegon's court and sneak her in for a private audience. She'll be able to detail the horrors of the usurper's son, the abuse she suffered at the hands of House Lannister, the fact that she's not truly married to Tyrion (who Aegon already knows), the fact that her entire family is gone, her home destroyed, and still has a false accusation of regicide hanging over her head. And Aegon can't exactly blame someone for having embarrassing relatives. He's got the same problem. He knows what it's like to be the last of his family and to have to hide his identity. Let's not forget as well that this is a young man in his late teens and Sansa is a knockout.

She'll get a trial of seven, which her side will win. She'll get an annulment, and Aegon will marry her. No love involved. And during her marriage to Aegon, and his subsequent cheating, she will lose the very last interest she ever had in court life. That time will take out the last vestiges of her girlish dreams, which are currently only mostly-dead.

Oh, and the Hot Pie comment was a joke.

You're missing something in my analysis. Sansa used to want to marry a prince. Now she's not interested. But that doesn't mean she won't end up married to a king temporarily anyway. I know the love interest you're talking about and I hope she ends up with him, but I think she's got a ways to go before there's even a chance of that happening.

Sansa can bring Aegon the North, the Riverlands, and the Vale. Unlike Dany, Aegon has not been spouting off about the "usurper's dogs." Ned Stark was a good man, even his enemies say so. As far as anyone knows she's the last remaining Stark. That gives her the North. Being Hoster Tully and Minisa Whent's grandchild, and Edmure Tully's niece gives her the support of the Riverlands. Being Jon Arryn's niece, first cousin to the current Lord of the Vale give her at least part of the Vale. With Littlefinger's help, this is doable. When the stories of her suffering become public she'll pick up popular support. She'll be Margaery 2.0

He'll weasel his way into Aegon's court and sneak her in for a private audience. She'll be able to detail the horrors of the usurper's son, the abuse she suffered at the hands of House Lannister, the fact that she's not truly married to Tyrion (who Aegon already knows), the fact that her entire family is gone, her home destroyed, and still has a false accusation of regicide hanging over her head. And Aegon can't exactly blame someone for having embarrassing relatives. He's got the same problem. He knows what it's like to be the last of his family and to have to hide his identity. Let's not forget as well that this is a young man in his late teens and Sansa is a knockout.

She'll get a trial of seven, which her side will win. She'll get an annulment, and Aegon will marry her. No love involved. And during her marriage to Aegon, and his subsequent cheating, she will lose the very last interest she ever had in court life. That time will take out the last vestiges of her girlish dreams, which are currently only mostly-dead.

Sansa can't bring Aegon anything, since she currently has neither the North, the Riverlands, nor the Vale (she has no claim to the Vale, and the only way she could have Vale is either by marrying Harry or marrying SR and having a child, since she has no claim to it, so that's even contradictory to the idea of marrying Aegon). She can only hope to regain the North. And even if she had the North, the Northmen would give no fucks about Aegon and his desire to get the IT. They sure wouldn't be giving him armies to regain it or hold it, while they're busy dealing with the winter, the Boltons, the battle between them and Stannis, and the chaos that's no doubt just erupting at the Wall. Why would they support Aegon, anyway? If they're going to support anyone for the IT now, it's Stannis, who's actually doing something for them.

The Dornish support is what Aegon needs to secure, and Arianne, the character who's actually part of his story, is who he needs to appease and probably marry. The idea that he already has their support in the bag doesn't hold water.

On Sansa's part, she hasn't had any desire to be the queen since AGOT, and by the time of AFFC she also hates the idea of political marriages and doesn't want to get married at all, since she hates the idea of people trying to marry her for her claim rather than loving her for herself.

And going back to KL is the very last thing she'd want. She's not going to be going back to KL and subjecting herself to any trial, she had spent most of her time there trying to escape, and it was the worst time in her life. There's also no need for her to do that - the Stark and Tully loyalists don't care if some trial in KL says she's not guilty of killing Joffrey; if anything, they'd only love her more if they thought she really poisoned him. She wants to go home North, and Aegon is useless to her in that regard, since his fight is in the South, securing the throne for himself. Littlefinger also knows that - the Vale could perhaps be persuaded to send armies to get Ned's daughter her father's lands, but Aegon sure wouldn't give any fucks; and LF definitely wouldn't want Sansa marrying Varys' puppet.

The idea that Sansa would need a bad experience with Aegon, as if the bad experience with Joffrey and the Lannisters wasn't enough, to lose the dreams she has lost long time ago, is predicated on ignoring all of Sansa's development since Ned's execution, and on the idea that she still wants to marry a prince, be queen and live in KL, which she's stopped wanting long time ago.

If there is going to be a love triangle in the north that involves Jon, it is likely going to be Jon-Meera-Bran. I don't think it will amount to much, since Bran's attraction to Meera is just a crush, but it might be a vestigial version of the draft Jon-Arya-Tyrion triangle.

Sansa can't bring Aegon anything, since she currently has neither the North, the Riverlands, nor the Vale (she has no claim to the Vale, and the only way she could have Vale is either by marrying Harry or marrying SR and having a child, since she has no claim to it, so that's even contradictory to the idea of marrying Aegon). She can only hope to regain the North. And even if she had the North, the Northmen would give no fucks about Aegon and his desire to get the IT. They sure wouldn't be giving him armies to regain it or hold it, while they're busy dealing with the winter, the Boltons, the battle between them and Stannis, and the chaos that's no doubt just erupting at the Wall. Why would they support Aegon, anyway? If they're going to support anyone for the IT now, it's Stannis, who's actually doing something for them.

The Dornish support is what Aegon needs to secure, and Arianne, the character who's actually part of his story, is who he needs to appease and probably marry. The idea that he already has their support in the bag doesn't hold water.

On Sansa's part, she hasn't had any desire to be the queen since AGOT, and by the time of AFFC she also hates the idea of political marriages and doesn't want to get married at all, since she hates the idea of people trying to marry her for her claim rather than loving her for herself.

And going back to KL is the very last thing she'd want. She's not going to be going back to KL and subjecting herself to any trial, she had spent most of her time there trying to escape, and it was the worst time in her life. There's also no need for her to do that - the Stark and Tully loyalists don't care if some trial in KL says she's not guilty of killing Joffrey; if anything, they'd only love her more if they thought she really poisoned him. She wants to go home North, and Aegon is useless to her in that regard, since his fight is in the South, securing the throne for himself. Littlefinger also knows that - the Vale could perhaps be persuaded to send armies to get Ned's daughter her father's lands, but Aegon sure wouldn't give any fucks; and LF definitely wouldn't want Sansa marrying Varys' puppet.

The idea that Sansa would need a bad experience with Aegon, as if the bad experience with Joffrey and the Lannisters wasn't enough, to lose the dreams she has lost long time ago, is predicated on ignoring all of Sansa's development since Ned's execution, and on the idea that she still wants to marry a prince, be queen and live in KL, which she's stopped wanting long time ago.

Sansa doesn't have to currently hold anything. Bran and Rickon are thought to be dead. Jon is in the Night's Watch, and no one knows where Arya is (no pun intended). She is last remaining legitimate child of Eddard Stark. The North will support her. Even if Davos brings Rickon back, the North is still going to support Sansa. She's also the granddaughter and niece of Lords Paramount of the Riverlands. No one in the Riverlands has forgotten that Catelyn Tully is Sansa's mother, and after the Red Wedding even those who were anti-Tully before that are liable to go pro-Sansa just because so they can ditch LP Frey. You're forgetting that Ned grew up in the Vale. He was known and respected there. In addition to being Ned's daughter Sansa is Jon Arryn's niece. Her cousin, Lord Robert adores her and would have no problem ordering his men to do whatever she wants.

The Northmen care about avenging the Starks. What better way than to join Sansa's husband to help crush the Lannisters, and probably take out the Freys as well?

Aegon assumes he's going to get Dornish support because he's Elia's son. He does not need Arianne. But Dorne doesn't have anywhere near the numbers of soldiers they're letting people think they have, so he may not need them anyway.

You keep talking about what Sansa wants as if that makes a difference to the plot. What Sansa wants is to go back to the way things were before Joffrey, before the king came to visit. That's not going to happen. She wants to go home, but home isn't there anymore. The girl is wanted for regicide and would be dead if it weren't for Littlefinger getting her out of King's Landing. She'll do what she's told...for a while at least. And in the absence of what she really wants, she may well settle for revenge. You can get a lot more revenge as a Queen than you can as just a nobleman's daughter.

She needs to clear her name because she can only get an annulment by going to the High Septon or a council of the faith, in King's Landing. What the Northmen think about killing Joffrey doesn't make a bit of difference to that. In King's Landing she's considered a wanted criminal. If she sets foot in the city she'll be arrested, unless of course she arrives under the protection of a king. As to the trial, someone is going to have a trial of seven in this series. Sansa is the most likely candidate.

LF would want Sansa marrying Varys' puppet. What's his business again? LF will be betting that Aegon will be besotted with the beautiful Sansa and let a certain part of his anatomy do his thinking. Through Sansa's influence over Aegon, he becomes Littlefinger's puppet instead.

I didn't say she needed a bad experience. I don't think anything too terrible will happen to her. But I do think it will be the final straw, and after this she'll do what she wants to do, partly because she'll finally be in a position to be calling the shots with regard to her own life. She went from her parents controlling her life, to the Lannisters, now Littlefinger. The little bird is not yet ready to fly. But by the end of the series she will be. She needs to grow more before that happens. This way she gets to use her new skill-set first.

Sansa used to want to marry a prince. Now she's not interested. But that doesn't mean she won't end up married to a king temporarily anyway. I know the love interest you're talking about and I hope she ends up with him, but I think she's got a ways to go before there's even a chance of that happening.

I agree that Sansa had a fixated superficial idea of what kind of husband she wanted that is gone, but that doesn't mean we should completely discard a royal marriage, just because she's not pursuing it.

I want Sansa to end up happy and have the things she always wanted but for the right reasons. She wanted to marry a prince because 'omg, a prince!', but now, if she ends up with a Prince, I hope it's a guy she cares for and he cares for her as well, because that would put her in a situation with power, a power she can use to do some good for others. And even if she ends up in a political marriage (Jon and Dany are often considered to have one of those, why not Sansa?), at least one in which she's respected and appreciated as an individual that can bring something to the marriage beyond her claim and fertility (a Nymeria situation, kinda).

Now, I'm all for SanSan, but I don't see them as 'endgame', so to speak. And I don't want Sansa to end up her days alone, but with a family she loves and loves her back. Sadly, Aegon is more likely to die, but I would want him to be with her because he makes a good match. He's kind and good natured. He also seems to have a honest approach to life, something Sansa desperately needs in her life after all those intrigues and plots.

Archived