[BOOK AND SHOW SPOILERS] Has the show peaked?

Zyxw

Well season 4 ended on a hugely dramatic note with an epic battle at the wall, Tyrion's trial and Tywin's murder. That said we're entering into a good bit of unknown territory now. Portions of Feast/Dance have already been done in season 4 or are obviously going to be drastically altered or cut altogether. So I'd say we're entering a largely unknown. If we're going strictly by the book then yes, it's peaked as I considered Feast/Dance to be boring compared to the others. Beyond that, we're going to be getting lots of new material and it remains unseen how it'll compare to the rest of the show.

I´m not concerned either. I think there is much left from feast and dance that would make for awesome tv.

Spoiler
Mereen could be breath taking: rebellion, daznaks pit even a full out war,...

We will see Tyrion arriving there. That alone will make for awesome moments when fan favourites Dany and Tyrion meet...

The whole Jon becomes LC-story. And the caesaring will be a huge wtf-moment.

Cerseis descendence into madness and her walk of shame will be amazing. Lena can pull that.

Sansa and LF seem to be up to something big.

Dorne looks amazing in the trailer, the sand snakes could be a new fan favourite. They have everything you need: pretty girls and bad asses.

Hardhome really has me pumped up. Dead things in the water!!

Boltons in the north could be interesting too. Perhaps they already dip into the battle of ice?

Davos search for Rickon could be quite something.

Sam in Braavos/Oldtown...

What I hope we will see: More White Walkers. I think they will show them. These Hardhome bits from the trailer look very promising.

What I hope despite knowing better: Arya warging Ser Pounce. I would love that...

Agreed. Season five will be full of interesting stuff, all the stuff you pointed out and no doubt even more. I have no fear that this season is going to fall flat on its back. And as for the whole show being on a downslide, I don't really believe in that either. If that was the case, if the writing was getting poorer etc., it would be a topic of much more discussion. We'd know instead of speculating whether it's the case or not.

The discussion seems rather pointless, there;s no real way to tell until at earliest midway through this season. The source material for this season is awful but I trust D&D to cut away the crap from George's story and turn it into something actually entertaining.

Speak of peaking is relative. Is Storm the better book so far? It is for many. But I'm sure Winds will have much more sells once is published, as many Unsullied have become fans. It will hit massive media promotion as well. It doesn't mean it will be better. It might, but the hype doesn't secure it.

For example, Prisoner of Azkaban is a much better book than Deathly Hallows, but by the time DH was published, the Pottermania was at the top and sold millions compared with PoA. Many say that Azkaban is Rowling's peak as a writer (I agree with that, at least in the Potter series, I haven't read other books by her). After that, the books are good but they aren't equally great. Yet, they are more popular.

Not even close to peaking for either. Escalation is a big part of the books and there is much to look forward too, the Others, Stark reunions, Dany and Tyrion, the return of the Queen, an absolute ton of resolution., intersecting plot lines and stories. Crows and Dance were like the Two Towers, they are meant to set up the end game.

Pretty sure people will tune in for many of these and parantage of one specific character is probably going to smash ratings records to date.

Watcher on the wall was nothing compared to what is coming, and HBO has decided to double down and increase the shows budget. While some great characters are gone westill get just massive amounts of plot resolution to look forward too. Plus new character interactions are bound to go a long way. I want to to see Jon and Stannis and Mel and Davos, I want to see Shireen at the wall. The show and books have slowly moved away from KL to the periphery characters. I want to know what happens to Arya, I want the Stark reunion, I want to see what happens with Bran and Dany, and Jon and Sansa, and Little finger and Varys and Tyrion and the Others and the Dragons. What will happen with Jaime, some of the actors are saying we are getting a major death that will shock everyone and is on Par with the Red Wedding. The story has grown in the telling, and I think once the characters start moving towards the CoG, it will only become more dense and more rich, both books and the show.

Though I don't think everyone will be happy, I think thrones is set for a massive season and next season if winds is not out, will the holly shits of holly shits for the series. While some actors have gone others have always stepped in and stepped up. I will miss Joff and Tywin as they just rocked there parts, there are other actors more than capable of filling in.

It's not like True Blood which was all camp and cheese and decided to just go bad Soap Opera in the end. It has strong character based plot lines a massive diverse cast, excellent film locations, and a massive budget. It's not like the dialogue has been bad and half of that has been made up since season 1. People said it peaked with Blackwater, then the Red Wedding, now Watcher on the wall. You notice a pattern here?

Speak of peaking is relative. Is Storm the better book so far? It is for many. But I'm sure Winds will have much more sells once is published, as many Unsullied have become fans. It will hit massive media promotion as well. It doesn't mean it will be better. It might, but the hype doesn't secure it.For example, Prisoner of Azkaban is a much better book than Deathly Hallows, but by the time DH was published, the Pottermania was at the top and sold millions compared with PoA. Many say that Azkaban is Rowling's peak as a writer (I agree with that, at least in the Potter series, I haven't read other books by her). After that, the books are good but they aren't equally great. Yet, they are more popular.

If Winds comes out before season 6 it will be huge and his best selling book by far.

Season 5 should be fine. D&D can take the many good parts of Feast and Dance while omitting the weaker portions. Yes, some great moments won't make it, but simply eliminating the travelogues will make the material seem better. Season 6 will be where things get tricky, since Winds of Winter isn't done yet, and Season 7 will be a nightmare for D&D, as they'll have to basically write all the dialogue themselves based off plot outlines; good luck to them with that.

Season 5 should be fine. D&D can take the many good parts of Feast and Dance while omitting the weaker portions. Yes, some great moments won't make it, but simply eliminating the travelogues will make the material seem better. Season 6 will be where things get tricky, since Winds of Winter isn't done yet, and Season 7 will be a nightmare for D&D, as they'll have to basically write all the dialogue themselves based off plot outlines; good luck to them with that.

D&D have already decided what to do in the final season, it would have been a necessity when deciding which characters and plots they were going to follow.

Season #1: Introduction to world, Ned Stark the valiant hero...opps...

Season #2: The war of the various Kings

Season #3: Shock and awe - dragons and weddings

Season #4: Turn it on its head, kill off a few key people, bring the North to ahead.

Season #5: Ramp up the Dany story, increase the pressure in the North, expand on Dorne and the fallout of the "fight". Don't forget Arya.

Season #6: Reintroduce Brans story, escalate all the problems facing the remaining characters

Season #7: Winter is coming and every dies :D

Archived