[BOOK AND SHOW SPOILERS] Has the show peaked?

Zyxw

The first two episodes have left me ever so slightly disappointed; I feel it's too high-paced, and they're not taking their time to let big moments shine. Not that there've been many, but the few that we did have felt underwhelming. However, this could be because they're working up to even bigger and greater events, in which case I totally understand.

However, The Scabbard of the Morning has a good point. If the biggest ASOIAF fans in the world think the show based on ASOIAF is going downhill, who am I to argue with them?

Anybody more intelligent than a particularly stupid monkey? Reading the books doesn't make their opinion on the show any more valid; if anything it makes it more worthless. Saying "They have an upper grade-school reading level and a dozen hours of free time so their opinions are more important" is almost unbelievably stupid.

That's not what I said, and I really think you're taking this a bit too seriously, mate. Lots of people have read the books. I said this site's members are the biggest ASOIAF fans in the world. I value their opinions over the general public at IMDB because they best know this material. They obsess over it. They produce whole essays about their favorite minute details. Heck, the founders of the site helped write the book on GRRM's world. I think I'd be "unbelievably stupid" not to give these folks' opinions more weight. But you certainly don't have to.

Thing is you shouldn't give these folks' opinion more weight because a TV series isn't a research paper that can be judged for its scientific accuracy by a panel of foremost experts. It, like every other TV show out there, should be assessed on a whole range of criteria, artistic not least among them. I don't see why someone should consider the position of an Internet Warrior #351832 and his like-minded brethren ahead of any number of other people.

I think I'd be "unbelievably stupid" not to give these folks' opinions more weight.

It'd be unbelievably stupid to do so. These are self-selected book fans, and the show is diverging from the books pretty explicitly. If you are searching for an unbiased opinion, find invested Unsullied show-only watchers.

I don't think the show has peaked. On the whole I enjoy it as an alternate version of the books. The book's plots and subplots are satisfying because they had the time and leisure to have so many little twists and turns and characters carrying them out. The show condensing plots is still good because they make it satisfying for the amount of time they have to let it play out.

Exactly right. The two will just be different but that doesn't mean one has to be bad. In fact, there are a lot of ways D&D can improve upon the books with their streamlining. I will still enjoy the intricacies of the books but not all of it can be translated into a visial media so that gives D&D a certain amount of freedom.

Thing is you shouldn't give these folks' opinion more weight because a TV series isn't a research paper that can be judged for its scientific accuracy by a panel of foremost experts. It, like every other TV show out there, should be assessed on a whole range of criteria, artistic not least among them. I don't see why someone should consider the position of an Internet Warrior #351832 and his like-minded brethren ahead of any number of other people.

If by "Internet Warriors" you mean the most passionate fans of GRRM's fictional universe, I disagree.

It'd be unbelievably stupid to do so. These are self-selected book fans, and the show is diverging from the books pretty explicitly. If you are searching for an unbiased opinion, find invested Unsullied show-only watchers.

Again, I disagree, but that's just this "unbelievably stupid" book fan's opinion. :rolleyes:

If by "Internet Warriors" you mean the most passionate fans of GRRM's fictional universe, I disagree.

Again, I disagree, but that's just this "unbelievably stupid" book fan's opinion. :rolleyes:

Well, that's great for you. Doesn't change the fact that you're completely wrong. Asking completely biased people for an unbiased opinion is stupid and pointless because you'll never get one. That's a fact, not an opinion. Disagreeing with it doesn't change anything.

Well, that's great for you. Doesn't change the fact that you're completely wrong. Asking completely biased people for an unbiased opinion is stupid and pointless because you'll never get one. That's a fact, not an opinion. Disagreeing with it doesn't change anything.

Who said I wanted an "unbiased opinion?" I said I wanted the opinion of the biggest ASOIAF fans in the world. It's why I visit this awesome site.

But I don't know how you've gotten your knickers so twisted over it. :dunno: Relax. Have a lemon cake. :kiss:

For what its worth I enjoyed the 3rd episode a lot more than the first two. Cercei is so not the character from previous seasons but I guess they are trying the calm before the storm with her. With that said most of the north scenes were good - especially the wall. Looking forward to hardhome but dreading sand snakes..

• 3 weeks later...

Tv shows don't really peak. Most of them have gone through up and down phases, Breaking Bad being one example.

Game of Thrones is going through a slow phase now because season 5 is mostly about setting up an epic climax.

Whether or not book purists think it has peaked usually comes down to whether or not they think it has deviated too much, which really has no bearing.

I thought it peaked in S3. S4 had the potential to beat it, but imo it wasted some key moments and failed to live up to its potential. S5 has been poor thus far, but hopefully it will get the big moments right.

I think it's plateauing just as the books have. But the show will kick into gear again by the end of this season and then it can jettison the book baggage which as this point is holding the show back. They have no choice but to forge onwards without the support of the great material and characters in the earlier books but also without having to take into account the mediocre or yet to be written stuff in the later books. So now they may as well just set their sights and go for it.

It's really impossible to say without any knowledge of what happens in season 6 and 7. It may have had a peak from blackwater through the red wedding, but I'm guessing this year's finale into season 6 can hold as much weight as the aforementioned span.

Archived