Recommendations: SF/F books without sexual assault triggers

Lies And Perfidy

Chris Wooding's Ketty Jay series has no sexual violence in it as far as I remember. There are some oblique references to it, but nothing on the pages, no conversations about it and no characters get threatened by it as far as I can recall.

Lovecraft also works quite well. Has a lot of creepy stuff, but it's as far as I can recall more of the tentacled horror variety than the rapetastic kind.

The entire subplot for trinica involves the constant threat of sexual violence by her crew and the horrible past deeds done to her.

Why limit yourself?

And dune has sexual violence in it EB. Both in threat and in practice. Hell, they try to kill the baron by implanting a poison dart in a sex slaves thigh. And Jessica is the product of rape.

Ya. Not sure why you'd limit yourself in your reading, but if you are, you're going to have a very small list, and dune shouldn't be on it.

The sexual violence occurs offstage in Dune.

There is one scene where a couple of Harkonnens are considering raping Jessica, but she outwits and kills them.

Yeah there are some minor ruminations on the Baron Harkonnens PoV but there are no explicit rape/sexual violence scenes in Dune (the sex slave boy is related after the event by the Baron and is not very revealing). There is also the scene where the Baron orders Feyd-Rauatha to kill all of the whores in the slaves quarter - again nothing is seen on page.

Earthsea is a recommendation to be careful with because while the first three I think are fine, it's usually marketed and sold as a quartet these days and the fourth one sets off these triggers all over the place on purpose.

Felix Gilman I'm pretty sure is okay. I think Ian M Banks is clear, although aspects of Use of Weapons might be troublesome? I don't remember any sexual violence in Alastair Reynold's work. Arthur C. Clarke, Neal Stephenson, Nick Harkaway are all fine I think.

Why limit yourself?

And dune has sexual violence in it EB. Both in threat and in practice. Hell, they try to kill the baron by implanting a poison dart in a sex slaves thigh. And Jessica is the product of rape.

Ya. Not sure why you'd limit yourself in your reading, but if you are, you're going to have a very small list, and dune shouldn't be on it.

I was under the impression that this list is being put together for people who, you know, were actually raped/sexually assaulted.

Basically, good books where nobody gets raped or almost-raped or threatened with sexual violence. I figure general violence is kosher - that's kind of a staple of genre lit anyway - but just not that specific trigger. YA is perfectly fine.

The sexual violence occurs offstage in Dune.

There is one scene where a couple of Harkonnens are considering raping Jessica, but she outwits and kills them.

Did you even read the fucking OP?

They don't just consider it, they threaten with it. Specifically against what the OP wanted.

Listen, I love the book, and I think the whole fucking world should read it, but it doesn't fall into this childish criteria. Shouldn't be included.

""Sure do seem a shame to waste a good-looking woman like this," Scarface said. "You ever have any highborn types?" He turned to look at the pilot.

"Bene Gesserit ain't all highborn," the pilot said.

"But they all looks heighty."

He can see me plain enough, Jessica thought. She brought her bound legs up

onto the seat, curled into a sinuous ball, staring at Scarface.

"Real pretty, she is," Kinet said. He wet his lips with his tongue. "Sure do

seem a shame." He looked at Czigo.

"You thinking what I think you're thinking?" the pilot asked.

"Who'd be to know?" the guard asked. "Afterwards . . . " He shrugged. "I

just never had me no highborns. Might never get a chance like this one again."

​If that's not rapey rapey-ness I don't know what is. Nor does it occur 'off screen'.

Earthsea is a recommendation to be careful with because while the first three I think are fine, it's usually marketed and sold as a quartet these days and the fourth one sets off these triggers all over the place on purpose.

The child rape in the last book isn't depicted, but it is very important to the plot.

Hence "oblique references". And you might want to spoiler tag that as well.

You know I'm not going to do that.

It's not real 'oblique'. Hell, the whole thing that drives her to be cruel is the threat of it.

Doesn't seem appropriate.

Just trying to respect the OP's wishes, foolish as I think they are.

Those books are filled with the possibility, always under the surface, of rape.

ETA: The very topic of the OP requires some spoilers, as they are asking for plot specific recommendations.

Yeah there are some minor ruminations on the Baron Harkonnens PoV but there are no explicit rape/sexual violence scenes in Dune (the sex slave boy is related after the event by the Baron and is not very revealing). There is also the scene where the Baron orders Feyd-Rauatha to kill all of the whores in the slaves quarter - again nothing is seen on page.

If we're not included "off page" rape then Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence is A-Okay.

Did you even read the fucking OP?

They don't just consider it, they threaten with it. Specifically against what the OP wanted.

Listen, I love the book, and I think the whole fucking world should read it, but it doesn't fall into this childish criteria. Shouldn't be included.

""Sure do seem a shame to waste a good-looking woman like this," Scarface said. "You ever have any highborn types?" He turned to look at the pilot.

"Bene Gesserit ain't all highborn," the pilot said.

"But they all looks heighty."

He can see me plain enough, Jessica thought. She brought her bound legs up

onto the seat, curled into a sinuous ball, staring at Scarface.

"Real pretty, she is," Kinet said. He wet his lips with his tongue. "Sure do

seem a shame." He looked at Czigo.

"You thinking what I think you're thinking?" the pilot asked.

"Who'd be to know?" the guard asked. "Afterwards . . . " He shrugged. "I

just never had me no highborns. Might never get a chance like this one again."

​If that's not rapey rapey-ness I don't know what is. Nor does it occur 'off screen'.

It's a while since I've read Dune. You're correct that the threat is made more overt than I'd remembered. So, Dune shouldn't go on the list.

Personally, I'd stick to pre 'Grimdark' YA:

Watership down, The Wrinkle in Time, Alice in Wonderland, maybe some Eddings or Fiest. Shit like that.

Gonna be hard to find anything not dealing with 'harsh realities', even in the current batch of dystopian themed YA floating around.

MisterOJ having not read Prince of Thorns I suspect the joke is lost on me!

Long story short, it got a bit of a reputation as being a book with lots of rape in it. But, it all occurs off page. There isn't an actual "rape scene" in Prince of Thorns.

Yeah, New Sun definitely has a rape in it. Although, like most things going on in a Gene Wolfe story, you kind of have to read between the lines to pick up on it. Urth of the New Sun makes things explicitly clear.

Although I'd hate to dissuade anyone from reading it, New Sun does have some not-so-between-the-lines rape:

Severian relates how Master Gurloes sometimes was unable to rape the prisoners when it was the ordered punishment and has to take a sexual stimulant or use a metal dildo instead. Severian even calls him a coward for it.

There's definitely some other stuff that's implied or questionable too.

Long story short, it got a bit of a reputation as being a book with lots of rape in it. But, it all occurs off page. There isn't an actual "rape scene" in Prince of Thorns.

But you can't compete the trilogy as there is definitely a rape scene in the final book. Not sure there's much point if you can't complete the trilogy.

Archived