Season 5 Casting, News and Speculation V 10 [Spoilers]

Arkash

Dany's last chapter indicates that it was not Drogon. His lair is in the Dothraki Sea and Dany spends a significant amount of time with him there. Every sunset he returns to this lair.

Why would GRRM mention it? To build suspense, to illustrate the setting, for worldbuilding, and foreshadowing Tyrion's eventual encounter with the dragons. But that does not mean it was Drogon he saw.

That Dany spends time with Drogon in the Dothraki Sea, and there is still a significant amount of time before she finds him (or he finds her rather), I cannot see why that rules him out for this description.

I would not have thought that his lair is actually that far from this location, for a dragon to fly.

On a side note, the whole of Dany's last chapter in ADWD is definitely one of my favourite moments from ASOIAF.

That Dany spends time with Drogon in the Dothraki Sea, and there is still a significant amount of time before she finds him (or he finds her rather), I cannot see why that rules him out for this description.

I would not have thought that his lair is actually that far from this location, for a dragon to fly.

On a side note, the whole of Dany's last chapter in ADWD is definitely one of my favourite moments from ASOIAF.

As I said in my original post, The Lands of Ice and Fire character journeys maps shows that Daenerys, by the end of ADwD, is hundreds of miles north-east of Meereen. The Sorrows is much, much further away from his lair than Meereen is.

I definitely agree. It's the chapter I keep being drawn back to re-read again and again, and it's slowly become my favourite chapter of the whole series; it's so poignant and powerful. I hope the show keeps it in some form.

Drogon kills Tyrion?!? NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

We were warned! Refer GRRM's recent comment about D&D being deadlier than he is.

If the next trailer features a Metallica track, watch the bodycount really rise. No one is safe now! KILL 'EM ALL! That's the show's tagline for this coming season.

HOLD ON! HOLD ON! HOLD ON!

Contracts had been extended, to cover season 6. So, those who've signed will be safe.... Unless there's a GOT style double-cross being served.

BTW - Leonard Nimoy - He lived, long.... and prospered.

Reply to PatrickStormborn:

Well, fair enough. My mind is open to the possibility still TBH, dragons are magic after all.

If the show included this chapter that would be amazing... really. Powerful & poignant indeed. I can't say I have my hopes up for that, but it exists in the book form so I'm happy.

:cheers:

I find it hard to believe that's the real s5 poster. It looks like bad fan art. The ship is fine, but I don't know of a modern poster that photoshops an imagine directly from last season's footage directly onto half of the poster.

It looks like it was something thrown together just to create social media buzz til the poster was ready.

Wait...did they really run out of money doing post production? People on WotW comments are saying they over spent already and that's why they couldn't afford to shoot Drogon and Tyrion in original positions for the poster?

That's nonsense. A show's ad budget is completely separate from promotional materials.

I cannot believe that's the real s5 poster. It looks worse than most fan art. I don't know of a modern poster that photoshops an imagine directly from last season's footage directly onto half of the poster.

It looks like it was something thrown together just to create social media buzz til the poster was ready.

Apparently they've over spent on CGI. They didn't release character portraits either. Last year those came 2 days before the poster.

I like the poster, especially the idea it conveys. Although, I understand where people are coming from- I first saw it on tumblr and thought it was fanart. To be honest, the posters have been rather simplistic since season 3. I still think the Season 3 and 4 DVD box covers look rather tacky and impersonal compared to Season 1 with Ned on the Throne- the best poster.

Apparently they've over spent on CGI. They didn't release character portraits either. Last year those came 2 days before the poster.

They have artists that do the posters. It has nothing to do with the CGI budget of the show. The two departments are separate.

Well people are saying they cheaped out.

Posters are cheap to make period. Remember back before Matthew McConaughey started doing good moves all those romcom posters of him leaning against his leading lady back-to-back? I reckon those cost around ten bucks to make. Seriously though, there's no need to worry so much and draw so many connections between unrelated things. If you keep that up you might start making up theories about secret Targaryens or something...

You need to pay graphic designers / artists for a good poster. It's not 'cheap'. Simple posters - i.e. fog = smaller / low-budget job. Maybe whoever did this one was paid in the region of $500, that would be quite a basic rate assuming that they did this in a couple of days, maximum. Realistically it probably was done in a day, but there's communication on the design / finalising it with little changes etc. Unless they're aspiring artists of course, in which case they probably only got $200 haha.

Archived