Fill me in, please....

Michael Seswatha Jordan

I read this article with anticipation of seeing Stanek or Bakker mentioned. To no avail, I don't have really anything to add. You guys obviously do. So if you remember any of these and can add any juicey details, please do. I will grab some popcorn.....http://listverse.com/2015/02/15/10-writers-who-took-themselves-way-too-seriously/

Yeah very few SFF authors are popular enough to even make a blip on the radar on sites like those. Let alone Stanek. He's only really known in certain circles.Westeros is a tiny, tiny, tiny subset of readers.

Yea I know, and I always forget that. To me, this place is the center of the universe, right?

Ha no that came of wrong. I wasn't trying to pick on you or anything. Some people here think that this place is the be all end all of the SFF community. Which is pretty easy to disprove if you look at Sanderson's popularity alone. :P

No, I didn't think you was. I truly do forget this is just a small % of actual readers.

I just saw the topic title and all that came to mind was "That's what she said..."

But yes, I do sometimes forget that these forums are not a representative sampling of the wider SFF community.

Let's be fair- while obviously a tiny fish compared to most of the names on that list, the David Langford incident is probably more notable than the three self-published breakdowns on that list- it just occurred far longer ago before social media really took hold, so didn't get spaffed all over the internet.

Also, Stanek has never really had a meltdown so much as he exists in a permanent state of it- there's no one particular explosion of crazy to catch people's attention.

I'm quite surprised that Kathleen Hale lady isn't on there.

Yeah I was expecting Hale, the daughter of Ann Landers whose name I forget, and that guy who HIT A BLOGGER OVER THE HEAD WITH A FREAKIN WINE BOTTLE to be on there. The list seems to be misnamed, its less about authors taking themselves seriously then it is about social media meltdowns. I don't think we've had too mnay of those in SFF?

Ha no that came of wrong. I wasn't trying to pick on you or anything. Some people here think that this place is the be all end all of the SFF community. Which is pretty easy to disprove if you look at Sanderson's popularity alone. :P

To be fair, this place does carry some weight in the SFF world. A lot of bloggers, editors, and writers frequent this little corner of the inter webs to get a 'feel' for what is going on in the world.

Don't think it's not. You might have heard of a book or two that spun out of these fertile lands as well.

Archived