Marvel Cinematic Universe General Discussion 3: Not Dead After All

felice

Squirrel Girl would be incredibly wacky, but if they can pull off Ant-man and Guardians they can pull off her. I reckon that would be the first complete comedy though - as it seems Ant-man is more of a heist.

So, I just noticed that IMDB has moved the premiere date for Avengers 2 back one week to 23rd of March April in my country. I'm way more excited about this than I should be, although I'm still considering moving to Italy to catch it a whole day earlier.

(I'm still baffled as to how the movie gets made in USA but doesn't open there until a whole week later. That's even after it opens in Kazakhstan and Iraq, for crying out loud.)

So, I just noticed that IMDB has moved the premiere date for Avengers 2 back one week to 23rd of March in my country. I'm way more excited about this than I should be, although I'm still considering moving to Italy to catch it a whole day earlier.

(I'm still baffled as to how the movie gets made in USA but doesn't open there until a whole week later. That's even after it opens in Kazakhstan and Iraq, for crying out loud.)

Am I missing something here, or do you mean 23rd of April? It doesn't open in the USA until 1st of May.

"It's funny because squirrels climb trees." ---Batista

I'm still recovering from the haymaker that was Harold the Duck.

I lost my shit when I saw him after the end credits. I was ready to be pissed at Gunn for not using the infamous after-credits scene to introduce something for a future film, but I just couldn't after I saw Harold

I lost my shit when I saw him after the end credits. I was ready to be pissed at Gunn for not using the infamous after-credits scene to introduce something for a future film, but I just couldn't after I saw Harold

Sorry if you guys are deliberately calling him 'Harold' 'for some reason, but it's ''Howard'.

Didn't mean any offense. But how am I supposed to take the galaxy seriously after Howard? That totally busted up the illusion. How can you "suspend your disbelief" in the face of that? Um, the Collector has lived so long as an immortal type guy that his time stretches all the way back to the movies of the 80's.

Didn't mean any offense. But how am I supposed to take the galaxy seriously after Howard? That totally busted up the illusion. How can you "suspend your disbelief" in the face of that? Um, the Collector has lived so long as an immortal type guy that his time stretches all the way back to the movies of the 80's.

You draw the line at blaster-toting raccoons and talking trees?

well yeah. I remember enjoying the Duck movie a lot but also feeling ashamed even as a child. Howard had real adult problems but come on. The galaxy's realism took a bit of a blow there. I've encountered real life raccoons who were looking to upgrade themselves with whatever tech they could find in the garbage or underneath the lawn they dug up. So devious, their eyes reflecting in the light of the flashlight as they stared back and didn't back away until I busted out the hose on them. Uplifted raccoons are definitely the future.

well yeah. I remember enjoying the Duck movie a lot but also feeling ashamed even as a child. Howard had real adult problems but come on. The galaxy's realism took a bit of a blow there. I've encountered real life raccoons who were looking to upgrade themselves with whatever tech they could find in the garbage or underneath the lawn they dug up. So devious, their eyes reflecting in the light of the flashlight as they stared back and didn't back away until I busted out the hose on them. Uplifted raccoons are definitely the future.

And Marvel's Ent/Hodor hybrid?

It continues to baffle me why Japan is always the last to get these movies, far after everyone else. It's almost like they're throwing an invitation to anyone who wants to download the film.

Could be some weird way of bolstering their own movies? I think they have quite popular anime movies etc and maybe don't want to suffocate them?

Subtitles/dubbing shouldn't be an issue unless Disney doesn't let them have the film until the release date to prevent leaks of plot/DVD screeners?

As long as the release isn't so far down the road the blu ray is out then I think a lot of geeks these days don't settle for cam quality footage.

Could be some weird way of bolstering their own movies? I think they have quite popular anime movies etc and maybe don't want to suffocate them?

Subtitles/dubbing shouldn't be an issue unless Disney doesn't let them have the film until the release date to prevent leaks of plot/DVD screeners?

As long as the release isn't so far down the road the blu ray is out then I think a lot of geeks these days don't settle for cam quality footage.

Why would Disney give anyone the film for subtitling / dubbing? Wouldn't Disney at least be in charge of arranging these things for the major non-English market languages? I would have thought Disney would have it's own Japanese language unit for translation, as well as possibly casting Japanese actors for any movies that will be dubbed. IIRC Japan is still the second biggest movie market in the world behind the USA, so if you're going to give any foreign language movie market special attention it'll be Japan.

Why would Disney give anyone the film for subtitling / dubbing? Wouldn't Disney at least be in charge of arranging these things for the major non-English market languages? I would have thought Disney would have it's own Japanese language unit for translation, as well as possibly casting Japanese actors for any movies that will be dubbed. IIRC Japan is still the second biggest movie market in the world behind the USA, so if you're going to give any foreign language movie market special attention it'll be Japan.

That makes sense they'd have their own division - I'm sure there is a Disney Japan out there. I have absolutely no idea how dubbing works internationally is it handled in studio or is it handled by a professional dubbing company? I know that in France for example they keep the same voice actor for a particular english speaking actor (sometimes said french actor handles several actors) so thought it was more a dubbing company being contracted out.

Your second point probably backs up my initial point though - if the Japanese film market is that strong then their homegrown movies are very significant (even if they don't translate well internationally). It would make a lot of sense to try and protect your own market and maybe this is a way of doing it? As far as I know there could be a Japanese film slotted for the Avengers release date that will be even bigger than Avengers for them? It could weirdly be better for Disney to come out when the heat from that film has died down? All just speculation.

The good news for me is that the UK gets Avengers on April 23rd :)

Archived