Marvel Cinematic Universe General Discussion 3: Not Dead After All

felice

Isn't it odd to have information like this come out this late in the game?

Particularly in regard to contacts and such? I'm calling fake out.

Well he was conspicuously absent from that cast list they released a while back. I just didn't notice because I was distracted by who was on it.

I think it's all completely about his contract negotiation, which he says is happening currently. Both he and Marvel are probably happy to have him sign up for another 6+ movies after his current contract is finished. Be he probably wants to receive $X and they want to pay him $Y.

If he appears in Civil War, then his bargaining power increases substantially if he has an important role to play in Infinity War. By not having him in that movie, they can tell him "accept what we offer or say goodbye. We can do fine without you going forward".

And Sam talking about his willingess to sign up for more is probably a play to shore up support and get the fans onside to pressure Marvel to keem him.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been reading some encouraging things about Ant-Man these past few days. Apparently it's more connected to the larger MCU than most of us expected. For one thing:

Members of the Ten Rings make an appearance. I'm glad they're not dropping that plot thread. Maybe one day we'll get to meet the real Manderin.

I've been reading some encouraging things about Ant-Man these past few days. Apparently it's more connected to the larger MCU than most of us expected. For one thing:

Members of the Ten Rings make an appearance. I'm glad they're not dropping that plot thread. Maybe one day we'll get to meet the real Manderin.

I'm really hopeful for this film, more than I was for AoU.

That's great. IM3 really pissed me off (the Mandarin was only part of my complaints,) and whilst All Hail the King went someway to repairing that damage I'm still not totally over it. So now in terms of evil groups we have the true Ten rings, HYDRA, Leviathan, and the Hand. If they can get AIM back up and running that'd be great. AIM seem more suited to be involved in Ant-Man to be honest, what with the tech element.

edit too much 'honesty'

I think it's all completely about his contract negotiation, which he says is happening currently. Both he and Marvel are probably happy to have him sign up for another 6+ movies after his current contract is finished. Be he probably wants to receive $X and they want to pay him $Y.

If he appears in Civil War, then his bargaining power increases substantially if he has an important role to play in Infinity War. By not having him in that movie, they can tell him "accept what we offer or say goodbye. We can do fine without you going forward".

And Sam talking about his willingess to sign up for more is probably a play to shore up support and get the fans onside to pressure Marvel to keem him.

If they actually said "going forward" to him I would hope he would walk out on them as a matter of grammatical principle, on the grounds of redundant phrasing.

Interview With Feige about Ant-Man, he surprisingly says a lot about it. Perhaps slightly more than I wanted to know going into it.

http://screenrant.com/ant-man-kevin-feige-wasp-marvel-phase-3-interview/

And another few Feige things. Dodging questions about Black and Female directors, and a response to some of the DC/Marvel bitching.

http://screenrant.com/kevin-feige-captain-marvel-black-panther-dc/

Apparently Marvel might be going back to Branagh for Thor 3. I think I'd quite like it, as he did very well with the character stuff in Thor, particularly Loki and Odin's relationships. Although of course no more Odin. :crying: 'He's dead. I've done two, that's enough.'

http://screenrant.com/thor-3-director-kenneth-branagh/

Triple post. Naughty BlackBear! I've just fallen down the ScreenRant rabbit hole.

And another few Feige things. Dodging questions about Black and Female directors, and a response to some of the DC/Marvel bitching.

http://screenrant.com/kevin-feige-captain-marvel-black-panther-dc/

There seems to be something off about angling for a female director for Captain Marvel and a black director for Black Panther. Sort of tokenism. "Sure, we'll let these under-represented directorial demographics direct a movie, but only when it's about their people." Actually it's not Feige saying that it's entertainment media asking if Female-led movie = female director and black-led movie=black director.

Why not let Kathryn Bigelow loose on any film project, if she's interested. It's not like she's lacking in directorial talent. Same with several black directors.

Why not let Kathryn Bigelow loose on any film project, if she's interested. It's not like she's lacking in directorial talent. Same with several black directors.

The short answer is probably "she costs too much". Marvel don't go for big directors and Bigelow is in that category.

I agree it's missing the point to co-ordinate the talent in such a way but like you point out, it's the myopic view of the media driving it. Female director = female lead film whereas it would be better (or at least shouldn't make a difference) if they were directing Dr Strange or Black Panther. It may not have been a great film but the Hulk didn't have to be Taiwanese in order for Ang Lee to direct it.

The short answer is probably "she costs too much". Marvel don't go for big directors and Bigelow is in that category.

I agree it's missing the point to co-ordinate the talent in such a way but like you point out, it's the myopic view of the media driving it. Female director = female lead film whereas it would be better (or at least shouldn't make a difference) if they were directing Dr Strange or Black Panther. It may not have been a great film but the Hulk didn't have to be Taiwanese in order for Ang Lee to direct it.

I actually liked the Ang Lee Hulk, it wasn't brilliant but it was good.

Yes, perhaps not being willing hire major established directing talent could be problematic for finding female and black directors. It seems there is still a smaller talent pool of up and coming directors fitting those descriptions, which makes them less visible as a directorial demographic and also somewhat more risky. The sheer force of numbers means the most talented white, male, relative unknown director is likely to be a better raw talent than the most talented female or black, relative unknown director. And it's always the old excuse, we're just hiring the best person for the job and it happens to be a white male. If you have 20 white male prospects, 5 female prospects and 5 black prospects chances are out of those 30 people the most talents one will be among the 20 white males.

Will be great if they do get a black woman to direct something, and if it has to be Black Panther, because she's black and he's black, well at least there's some progress.

I actually liked the Ang Lee Hulk, it wasn't brilliant but it was good.

Yes, perhaps not being willing hire major established directing talent could be problematic for finding female and black directors. It seems there is still a smaller talent pool of up and coming directors fitting those descriptions, which makes them less visible as a directorial demographic and also somewhat more risky. The sheer force of numbers means the most talented white, male, relative unknown director is likely to be a better raw talent than the most talented female or black, relative unknown director. And it's always the old excuse, we're just hiring the best person for the job and it happens to be a white male. If you have 20 white male prospects, 5 female prospects and 5 black prospects chances are out of those 30 people the most talents one will be among the 20 white males.

Will be great if they do get a black woman to direct something, and if it has to be Black Panther, because she's black and he's black, well at least there's some progress.

I suspect in order to get your first Indie film out (that gets you noticed by Marvel Studios) you need to have a bit of money and that still tends to mean you'll get more white men making them (although there should be as many white women too) in this part of the world.

If they went out of their way to get a specific director there are plenty to choose from but I'd still certainly hope they'd pick the best director for the given job. That maybe will give white men better odds but shouldn't render it impossible. Hopefully there are some black directors out there who've dreamed of making a black panther film and therefore said passion should shine through.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to remember how things shook out in the Blade Trilogy. Was it so over the top that it could not be retrofitted into the MCU?

It added Jessica Biel, so yes.

Also, Ryan Reynolds terribly and awfully and shittily portrayed Hannibal King, and there's no way Marvel would let that fly with him also being Deadpool for FOX.

Better to just start all over with the blade franchise.

Blade did go pretty worldwide in three I believe, vampires getting hunted by a super monster thing. If they do go with Blade I'd like a fresh start.

The main issue with Blade was Snipes' behaviour on set. He was stoned all the time, would only answer to 'Blade,' wouldn't come out of his trailer half the time, and started at one point only communicating via post-it note.

Archived