The best short stories ever written.

polishgenius

but in case is not thesame book you mentioned, "historias de cronopios y de famas".

In English it's called simply Cronopios and Famas, and it is an absolutely bizarre book. A little outside the scope of this topic, but everyone should really read everything by Cortazar.

Can someone recommend a good anthology of "classic" genre (mostly SciFi I guess) short stories? I have several anthologies of the English language non-genre classics as well as (I think) the whole Poe, Flannery O'connor and also some older genre stuff (M.R. James, A. Blackwood, Lovecraft, Doyle...) but, except for Asimov's "Robot" stories only a little shortish SciFi (I knew "The 9 billion names of God", though, and another one of Clarke's(?) with a continent sized alien "god" devastating earth).

I sometimes think that the best literary pieces of the Sci-Fi and horror genre may be short stories.

Most of my favs have been mentioned (Nightfall and I Have No Mouth... were the first that came to mind) but I also really love Zelazny's A Rose for Ecclesiastes.

Ellison wrote a lot of great short stories beyond I Have No Mouth. Just read bunches of them.

Delany wrote some great short stories, but no particular title is coming to mind right now. He had a collection of them called Driftglass that was great generally.

Also Octavia Butler's Bloodchild (the original short I think was better than the lengthened version).

There's always Hemingway's six word story:

For sale: baby shoes, never worn.

that's baldrick's novel: "Once upon a time, there was a lovely little sausage called Baldrick and it lived happily ever after." best novel ever or best work of art ever?

ETA:

jo--

you might try the series of hugo winner short form anthologies that asimov edited.

Short stories, right? Not novellas or novelettes? I'm a little confused by some of the responses.

Harrison Bergeron by Vonnegut. A Sound of Thunder by Bradbury. Speaking of Courage by Tim O'Brien. The Most Dangerous Game. To Build A Fire. A Very Old Man With Enormous Wings.

Speaking of Courage might be the single greatest thing I've ever read in my life. Seriously.

OMG where have you been hiding :o

:grouphug:

was this for me? :kiss: I hope so! took me a minute to figure out who you were (new name, new avatar!) but its nice to see you! I've just been offline more often than not lately, its been a busy winter. But I do love me some short stories so I thought I'd come out of the shadows to pimp Zelazny and my other favs. :hat: :grouphug:

was this for me? :kiss: I hope so! took me a minute to figure out who you were (new name, new avatar!) but its nice to see you! I've just been offline more often than not lately, its been a busy winter. But I do love me some short stories so I thought I'd come out of the shadows to pimp Zelazny and my other favs. :hat: :grouphug:

Lol yes I see and of course it was for you!! :wub: I miss you around!

I hope that's a good busy!

Most of my favs have been mentioned (Nightfall and I Have No Mouth... were the first that came to mind) but I also really love Zelazny's A Rose for Ecclesiastes.

Ellison wrote a lot of great short stories beyond I Have No Mouth. Just read bunches of them.

Delany wrote some great short stories, but no particular title is coming to mind right now. He had a collection of them called Driftglass that was great generally.

Also Octavia Butler's Bloodchild (the original short I think was better than the lengthened version).

Time Considered As A Helix Of Semiprecious Stones by Delaney

The Doors Of His Face The Lamps Of His Mouth by Zelazny

The World As Will And Wallpaper by R.A. Lafferty

All You Zombies by Heinlein

Archived