The best short stories ever written.

polishgenius

Can someone recommend a good anthology of "classic" genre (mostly SciFi I guess) short stories? I have several anthologies of the English language non-genre classics as well as (I think) the whole Poe, Flannery O'connor and also some older genre stuff (M.R. James, A. Blackwood, Lovecraft, Doyle...) but, except for Asimov's "Robot" stories only a little shortish SciFi (I knew "The 9 billion names of God", though, and another one of Clarke's(?) with a continent sized alien "god" devastating earth).

I sometimes think that the best literary pieces of the Sci-Fi and horror genre may be short stories.

As has been mentioned many times in this thread already, Ted Chiangs The Story of Your Life and Others.

It is probably the best short story collection you can find. I can't think of any better anyway.

It has three of my favourite short stories ever:

Understand

Division By Zero

The Story of Your Life

Gene Wolfe has many collections out and have written some fantastic short stories. Try The Best of Gene Wolfe.

Stephen King is also a very good short story writer. Skeleton Crew and Night Shift are classics.

Franz Kafka is also a classic short story writer. Don't know the name of any collection though.

Lol yes I see and of course it was for you!! :wub: I miss you around!

I hope that's a good busy!

:love: Its nice to be missed!

Its been a mixed kinda busy, but that's life. hope you're well too!

Minority Report > Blade Runner.

:agree: so much truth!

and to get this back on topic, what about The Lottery, but Shirley Jackson? I don't think its been mentioned yet, and its classic. Not sci-fi, but still under the speculative fiction umbrella I think.

• 1 month later...

Here are some of my favourites:

Revelation by Flannery O'Connor

The Hell Screen by Ryunosuke Akutagawa

The Premature Burial by Edgar Allan Poe

There Will Come Soft Rains by Ray Bradbury

A Piece of String by Guy de Maupassant

Fondly Fahrenheit by Alfred Bester

A Gentle Creature by Fyodor Dostoevsky

The Lottery by Shirley Jackson

Queenie by Alice Munro

Anna on the Neck by Anton Chekhov

Flowering Judas by Katherine Anne Porter

A Toy For Juliette by Robert Bloch

I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream by Harlan Ellison

Two of Hearts by Stacey Q

I forgot to add to my list "I have no mouth and I must scream" by Harlan Ellison... Tobias Wolff's "Bullet in the Brain" and still more...

I have no mouth is one of the most disturbing stories I have ever read.

Octavia Butler's "Speech Sounds" is a horror show too. I loved it.

"All Summer in a Day" by Bradbury

And the yellow wallpaper. That story still gives me nightmares.

I have no mouth is one of the most disturbing stories I have ever read.

Octavia Butler's "Speech Sounds" is a horror show too. I loved it.

"All Summer in a Day" by Bradbury

And the yellow wallpaper. That story still gives me nightmares.

I think I read that about 40 years ago. Still can't shake the images.

Story of Your Life is the best science fiction story.

^this. All Chiang is brilliant(my favorite is one set as a series of interviews though. Not sure about the name)

I also loved, loved, loved Parker's A Small Price to Pay for is Birdsong, but I'm not sure if it should be mentioned hrte

I think short-stories is kind of the "core" of Science Fiction as a genre. (while doorstopper trilogies is the "core" of fantasy as a genre :p) Lots of good mentions here.

Maupassant's Boule de Suif is also good.

Some really great suggestions here. Will just add two more of my favourites that I've not seen mentioned yet:

The Cold Equations - Tom Godwin (classic SF but really stands up well today)

Daddy's World - Walter Jon Williams

I love love love the way that story starts and ends with exactly the same words, but by the end of the tale they take on a really different meaning

first wife, a professional literary writer, had as her favorite short for a while 'birdland' by one michael knight [sic], which was published in the new yorker back in the late 90s. I thought it was a fairly shruggable text, but then again am not a professional literary writer but rather just an internet prick.

Andrei Makine's "A Life's Music'' or "Music of a Life" (depending on translation, though I prefer the former) instantly springs to mind. I don't hesitate in calling it a short story as it's barely over 100 pages and can be read easily in a day, an afternoon even. The first time I read it, I put it down for a moment and let it sink in and then I picked it back up and read it a second time. Beautifully written short story about a once up and coming Russian classical pianist who on the eve of his first big performance has to flee home, he escapes to his aunt's house, only for that to be invaded by Germans and later has to search through Russian soldier's corpses to find someone he resembles in appearance; after finding that person he takes on his identity and survives. Don't want to give the whole thing away but suffice to say it's beautiful.

first wife, a professional literary writer, had as her favorite short for a while 'birdland' by one michael knight [sic], which was published in the new yorker back in the late 90s. I thought it was a fairly shruggable text, but then again am not a professional literary writer but rather just an internet prick.

As long as you are not a short prick.

Archived