acroPHILIA #6 - "the sixth game that went missing!"

Rhaena Sandship

Welcome, fellow Acrophilia fans!

This was supposed to be the sixth edition of our favorite guessing game. Unfortunately

[ legend of 'the sixth game that went missing' ]

happened. We are very sorry. If you want to blame somebody - Rhaena had the insolence to suggest that a game with seven rounds, themes connected to the Seven and seven different options for the preliminaries must be the seventh game. So there you are. We skip directly to game seven. :shocked:

So since there is no sixth game, what is this thread for? Well...

... firstly, we have to come up with a legend of 'the sixth game that went missing'. Any ideas what happens to unplayed games? :idea:

... secondly, here you can sign up for the next game. New players are welcome! Game rules are explained in post #3.
If you want to participate, please send me a PM titled "Acrophilia #7 - your board name" with the answers of following questions: Which are your favorite secondary/minor characters? and Do you own or have access to the ASOIAF e-books?

... thirdly, any suggestions for rule changes are welcome. And to give it a kick: I want to change the favorite clue voting to something like this. What do you think?

PLAYERS:

1. yomi

2. lil' ghost

3. Dolorous Gabe

4. Reek Havoc

5. redriver

6. Lady Blizzardborn

7. Castellan

8. Ser Not Appearing

9. Bendubz

10. Ser Fingerbones

11. Woofless

12. Fragile Bird

13. -

14. -

15. - (<- maximum players)

Good luck!

1. :idea: Maybe we played a six-round sixth game, but hated it due to the even number of rounds and decided to forget we ever played this horrible game?

I want to play the seventh game.

I love your new favourite voting system. Apart from that I didn't like the five extra points for perfect guessing in the fith game much, so in my opinion you shouldn't adopt them.

Nice to see I forgot to post the game rules and my suggestion for the scoring. Thanks for pointing it out, yomi!

Game rules (short version):

You may have noticed there are hundreds of characters in the ASOIAF universe, all of them with intriguing back story, personality and goals. In this game, each player creates a clue or hint, which points to one ASOIAF character. Then everybody tries to guess the characters of the other players. At the end, we vote for the best clues and everybody receives points (see the scoring system below).

To make the game more interesting, we have added following twists:

1) The first letter of each word in the character clues must correspond to one of the two randomly generated acronyms I will publish on the game thread.

2) All characters will have something in common - the so called 'theme'. It can be anything, from ‘all characters are blond’ to ‘they have dreamed of being trapped somewhere’, and is supposed to help you in the guessing.

3) As additional help, there are always some 'preliminaries'. They change from game to game, but in general you are given some additional information about the characters, the accuracy of your current guesses or the meaning of certain clue(s).

To see how the game works, check Acrophilia 5. Still have questions? Send me a PM or post here :)

Scoring system:

Author points: 1 point time your clue is guessed correctly
Guessing points: 3 points for each correctly guessed clue
Theme points: 4 points if you guessed the theme; 2 points if you were close to it
Favorite clue points: 4 points for the authors of the clues with most ‘best wording’, ‘most creative approach’ and ‘Funny or 'Aha!' moment’ votes; 1 point for each ‘additional vote’ vote your clue received

Did everybody dislike the 5 extra points I gave out for perfect guessing rounds? It was meant to balance the game further in favour of the guessing part of it. I know there is a certain art to creating a gettable clue but I still feel the weighting between guessing points and author points is a bit off as the rewards for making an extremely easy clue are too high.

I was whirling around another idea of weighting it more in favour of guessing and less in favour of making easy clues. It was that author points are cut off halfway through the number of players. So let's say there are 14 players: once 7 people have answered the clue correctly no more points are given for correct answers to your own clue. I admit when I thought of it I wished I had started Game 5 with that particular scoring rule.

You can count me in by the way, Rhaena :D

I was whirling around another idea of weighting it more in favour of guessing and less in favour of making easy clues. It was that author points are cut off halfway through the number of players. So let's say there are 14 players: once 7 people have answered the clue correctly no more points are given for correct answers to your own clue. I admit when I thought of it I wished I had started Game 5 with that particular scoring rule.

I like that idea.

I thought the 5 extra points are to encourage us to buy prelims:

- If I purchase a hint and still don't guess the clue correctly, I will be 1 point back.

- If I get it right, I will only receive 2 points for my correct guess.

=> So while I might use a hint for a clue I don't understand at all, I don't have much motivation to buy hints for the rest of the clues. With the 5 point bonus though, I can request up to 5 hints and still have full point count at the end (3 points per clue).

But in this game the prelims are for free, as a blessing of the Seven ;) So I thought the 5 bonus points are not necessary. Or do you think I should keep them?

As for the author points: was there a clue with less than 7 right guesses? If we limit the authoring points to 7 (ha-ha, very appropriate number :D), everybody will get the same amount of points. It doesn't make sense. What we could do - eliminate the authoring points and add a 'clearest clue' to the favorite clue voting.

Problem: Most things we would call 'creative approach' or 'Aha! moment' or even 'Exceptional wording' tend to be very unclear. If only one clue gets points for being understandable, we might be in for very tough seven rounds.

The current system encourages people to be reasonable (to some extent) when creating their clues. And I warn you: you will be flooded by more than 60 secondary and 10 minor characters! :devil: And yes, ALL of them appear in the books and are well and alive... for at least one chapter.

The rules and system are entirely up to you. When I came up with my last set it was all about trying to keep a good balance between guessing points and author points. It all depends on what you want to give more rewards for.

The idea of cutting off author points at halfway through the number of players is just to cut down the reward for making a supremely easy clue. It will encourage players to make marginally trickier clues. Obviously I suggested 7 only because my example had 14 players. I would suggest cutting off at 6 points if there were 13 players (since there would be 12 players answering each clue). If 50% of the players seems too low to you, you could decide on a different proportion of the players. It's just a suggestion to weight the scoring more in favour of the guessing of the clues. I think I will implement it if I host again.

If you're cutting author bonus points for other people correctly guessing them, why not cap it at 5? A nice round (well, the bottom half of it is anyway) odd number.

Told myself I was going to take a break from Acrophilia. Clearly I am in denial about my addiction. Count me in for Game 7!

Love the new approach to fav clue voting. I don't agree that exceptional wording or creativity necessarily make for harder to guess clues. Sometimes I know the answer right away but am still impressed with how someone managed to create a clever clue for that character with the acronyms given. Clue trickiness depends partly on the author, but also partly on the mindset of the guesser. When I'm having a bad fibro flare (as an example), or didn't get enough sleep, I may get a lot of clues wrong without the clues being all that difficult.

Now...what happened to Game Six???

1. Ramsay flayed it, and it was too weak to go on.

2. You know how people like Ned say "the Others take this" or "the Others take that?" Well the Others took Game Six.

3. It caught influenza and still hasn't recovered.

4. Hiding. Game Six heard a rumor that GRRM is writing the games into the series, and it wants to live!

5. Game Six was found guilty of not being holy enough by the Faith of the Seven. Rather than face public execution, Game Six chose to take the black. It reports that Jon is not dead yet.

Okay, another suggestion: if there are 15 players, you get (#correct guesses - 7) points.

Examples:

If all 14 players got your clue -> you receive 7 points, that's the maximum

Only 10 players guessed correctly -> you still get 3 author points

7 or less correct guesses -> 0 points, no matter exactly how many players got it right

This way the cap is 7 points, and you have motivation to create a clear clue. Sounds fair?

2. You know how people like Ned say "the Others take this" or "the Others take that?" Well the Others took Game Six.

Maybe they will create an Other game from it? :ph34r:

Maybe we haven't heard from game 6 because SNA is playing it by himself on a secret island. He would choose a character and an acronym, then create a clue and of course guess it correctly. He doesn't need a complicated voting system for the favourite clue - it is, as always, his clue. The only problem is the theme. With only one clue it is very hard to get. Nevertheless, SNA has the best score of all players and is likely to win. :laugh:

After he does, he might even want to join us for game 7? ^_^

Yes indeed, welcome Bendubz. The more the merrier trickier (umm, until we reach the player limit of course).

EDIT:

Game Six visited the island from Lost and it was never seen again.

Game Six was sold into slavery by Jorah Mormont.

Game Six was a Faceless Man and changed it's appearance into Game Seven.

Game Six was exiled from the forum.

Game Six has happened in the future past, but only the working time machine (which I'm working on now) can prove that it really did happen.

The Sorrowful Men apologise profusely for killing Game Six.

I'm a little concerned that the Red Woman will burn the heretical Game Seven.

Archived