dead who are not dead

Ser Taeser Celtigar

People who are supposedly 'dead' but could be alive.

EDIT: I have seen all these mentioned as alive on this forum in the past.

Starting with the 'original' fan favourite...Syrio Forel, his fight with Ser Meryn Trant was not observed to the finish and if George wanted this cleared up one way or the other, the tv series could have shown Ser Meryn decapitate Syrio or even have Syrio's head on a spike. Nobody in King's Landing had commented on the fate of a Braavosi who had held off Ser Meryn and half-a-dozen Lannister guards with a wooden sword whilst Arya Stark disappeared. Alive? Possibly, but unlikely.

Going back in time and to the Tower of Joy, Ser Arthur Dayne, supposedly killed by Eddard Stark, but Ned never actually remembers the act of killing him in any of his PoV chapters and all he said about it was that he (Ned) would have died if it hadn't been for Howland Reed. I don't credit Howland Reed with magic powers, but if he was armed like his daughter Meera, a spear and net, he could have had his feet caught up in the net, saving Ned. Supposedly dead and buried in a cairn made from the ToJ, eight cairns for the three Kingsguard and the five of Ned's men who died. Given Dayne's cairn, you automatically think he's dead. And maybe that's the whole reason of the cairns, misdirection. If alive, he was possibly Qhorin Halfhand, now definately dead.

And his sister, Ashara, supposedly committed suicide throwing herself into the sea, her body never recovered. I am always suspicious of a death without a body. Supposedly she is alive and calling herself Lemore in Essos.

Prince Rhaegar Targaryen might be alive, either as Mance Rayder or as the septon of the Quiet Isle (if I got that right, the one where the big gravedigger maybe Sandor Clegane, haven't got the book in front of me ATM). I can't quite see him as Mance, but the Septon? Maybe...

And the most unlikeliest? Eddard Stark himself. Supposedly because Arya and Sansa weren't close enough to his beheading to clearly see their own father, Sansa thinking the head on the spike didn't look like her father and when Tyrion sends Ned's body back, Cat thought Ned's head was too small...Somehow, I can't see what deal Ned could have made with Varys (his most likeliest savior, if there was one) that would put Ned out of the action for four books...

Sandor Clegane I mentioned in passing, Benjen Stark is officially missing, but presumed dead. Catelyn Stark is positively Lady Stoneheart and Beric Dondarrien resurrected seven times...

...and once the Others come south, Robb Stark will rise again as Robbwind Greystark or whatever, the direwolf headed dead king wight leading his army of murdered Stark troops avenging their deaths on the Freys...

Any others?

Sandor's alive and I'm sure we'll see him again. He's not even the only one presumed dead in-universe, there's also Bran, Rickon, Davos (esp. if you are Cersei or someone at the court), Stannis (if you're at the Wall and are familiar with the contents of the Pink Letter), real Arya (if you're a Bolton or a Lannister), Dany (if you're one of the people in Meereen who believe that). JonCon was considered dead in Westeros until recently, now they know they're wrong.

Benjen may be alive; I'm sure we'll find out what happened to him.

Ashara may perhaps be alive, but it's a longshot.

Syrio is even less likely to be alive.

Catelyn is undead.

Beric used to be undead, now he's dead-dead.

The rest mentioned: dead as a dodo.

Sandor and Ashara are alive. Ashara is not Lemore though. Jon Connington KNEW Ashara Dayne. If Lemore was Ashara, something in JonCon's chapters would hint toward that, and nothing does. But you do not write a suicide with no body ever found for no reason in a work of fiction. The suicide was a cover story for something. I lean toward Ashara being Quaithe.

Benjen is only presumed dead, so he could easily be alive.

Sandor's alive and I'm sure we'll see him again. He's not even the only one presumed dead in-universe, there's also Bran, Rickon, Davos (esp. if you are Cersei or someone at the court), Stannis (if you're at the Wall and are familiar with the contents of the Pink Letter), real Arya (if you're a Bolton or a Lannister), Dany (if you're one of the people in Meereen who believe that). JonCon was considered dead in Westeros until recently, now they know they're wrong.

Benjen may be alive; I'm sure we'll find out what happened to him.

Ashara may perhaps be alive, but it's a longshot.

Syrio is even less likely to be alive.

Catelyn is undead.

Beric used to be undead, now he's dead-dead.

The rest mentioned: dead as a dodo.

Interesting point about Beric, the wiki only lists him as "presumed dead." Either something is up with that, or someone has been having fun with their wiki editing.

Interesting point about Beric, the wiki only lists him as "presumed dead." Either something is up with that, or someone has been having fun with their wiki editing.

Which wiki? TWOIAF wiki says he died his 7th and final death in 300 AC. This is what Thoros said in the book, Beric gave his life to resurrect Cat. If he were alive, no doubt he'd be with the BwB.

Sandor is the only character who George made us think died that is actually alive imo. Stonesnake is a good mention because he is assumed dead but I doubt it. He was definitely out of reach of any wight the last time we saw him.

I find it interesting that no 1 mentioned Jon.

Jon isn't dead. Dying maybe, but not yet dead.

Sandor is definitely alive, I'd wager Stonesnake is alive. If he's alive, I would wager Benjen is alive as well. He might even be with Benjen, and a number of rangers who have managed to stay off the radar of the others somehow.

I think Ashara is definitely alive, and probably is like Reed in that she would be a walking talking spoiler of secrets.

It never really made sense to me that Ned could kill Dayne though, even with Reeds help. I think the White Bull is definitely dead, but Whent and Dayne were more loyal to Rhaegar than the crown. Interesting possibilities there.

Rhaegar is definitely dead though. One does not simply have their chestplate caved in by a warhammer and live to tell the tale.

Jon isn't dead. Dying maybe, but not yet dead.

Sandor is definitely alive, I'd wager Stonesnake is alive. If he's alive, I would wager Benjen is alive as well. He might even be with Benjen, and a number of rangers who have managed to stay off the radar of the others somehow.

I think Ashara is definitely alive, and probably is like Reed in that she would be a walking talking spoiler of secrets.

It never really made sense to me that Ned could kill Dayne though, even with Reeds help. I think the White Bull is definitely dead, but Whent and Dayne were more loyal to Rhaegar than the crown. Interesting possibilities there.

Rhaegar is definitely dead though. One does not simply have their chestplate caved in by a warhammer and live to tell the tale.

Not to mention having been cremated...

I am pretty sure I have read posts where people have claimed there is a SSM that Rheagar definitely died.

On others mentioned I got burned too many times during my first read where I was sure somebody had just died only to be proven wrong. Now, until we see a dead body from a POV, I wouldn't be surprised to see them still alive and kicking. Ned definitely dead.

While I wouldn't be surprised if Arther Dayne was still alive, I'm pretty sure he wasn't the Half-Hand. I imagine he would be recognized among the Watch. If he is still alive he is out of sight. Same with Ashara.

I agree with others that Sander is the Gravedigger. Will he return to the forefront of the series or not, I don't know.

Archived