AcroPHILIA of The Seven - round four clues

Rhaena Sandship

Welcome to game 7 of AcroPHILIA!

We have gathered here from lands near and far to show our devotion to the Seven Who Are One, who created the hundreds of intriguing characters described in the holy books.

In honor of the Seven, this game will have seven rounds, each of them devoted of a different divine Aspect. Each round will have three stages: clue creation, clue guessing and voting for a favourite clue. To protect us from sin and disorder, the Seven have ordered us to follow these rules:

Clue creation
Each player will receive a vision of an ASOIAF character, who was alive at the beginning of the series. If your third eye is not working properly, I will send you a PM.

The players will then create a clue describing their character. The first letter of each word in their clue must correspond to one of the two randomly generated acronyms I will publish on this thread. You are encouraged to use clever references to your character’s personality, story, house sigil and appearance. However, if a clue contains names, nicknames or can equally well reference to another character, I will ask you to amend it.
Since my third eye is currently preoccupied with divine revelations, you will have to communicate your clue via PM.

Clue guessing

When all clues are in, I will publish them on the thread. The players will try to guess which character each clue refers to and then find a connection between these characters. This connection, or ‘theme’, can be anything – from ‘all characters are blond’ to ‘they have dreamed of being trapped somewhere’. Since each round will be in honor of one of the Seven, each theme will be connected to one Aspect. If you are struggling with some of the clues, you ask the Seven for guidance. Each of them has a different blessing, which they’ll gift to the true and devoted.

Favourite clue voting
At the end of the round, I will send you a form where you can find the correct answers and sometimes explanations of the ideas behind the clues. If you want an explanation of your clue to be included, please send it to me before the clue guessing deadline. All players can vote for their favourite clues in these categories: Best wording; Most creative approach; Funny or ‘Aha!’ moment’ and the Additional vote.

I will tally the points according to this scoring system:
Author points: 1 point time your clue is guessed correctly after the fourth right guess
Guessing points: 3 points for each correctly guessed clue
Theme points: 4 points if you guessed the theme of the round; 2 points if you were close to it
Favourite clue points: 4 points for the authors of the clues with most ‘Best wording’, ‘Funny or ‘Aha!’ moment’ and ‘Most creative approach’ votes; 1 point for each ‘Additional’ vote your clue received.

Prizes

Third place: a cloud in heaven

Second place: a bigger cloud in heaven

First place: you will get to decide what happened to game 6

Good luck everybody and may the Seven be with you!

Round 1

The Crone is very wise and old,

and sees our fates as they unfold.

She lifts her lamp of shining gold

to lead the acrophilia players.

The wise Crone has chosen these two acronyms to guide you when you write your clues:

MSEOKFA or PWASNDL

You will receive a PM with the name of your character for round one. The deadline for creating the clues is Sunday, the 1st of March. If you need an extension, please let me know before Saturday, 28. February. Also remember to send an explanation of your clue, if you wish to have one for the favourite clue voting.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

The Preliminaries

Small help that could save your sanity. Or better - seven small helps, coming from each of The Seven :) Whenever you need guidance, you can rely on these:

The Mother has prepared the Gift of Enlightenment - a second clue for a character who confuses you. If you are torn between two answers, the Father will use his Scales of Truth and tell you which of them is correct. With his Sword of Clarity the Warrior will win you the answer of a yes/no question. When you reach an answer following a Chain of Thought, the Smith will tell you if there is a weak link in it. The Crone will bless you with the Light of Wisdom and show you how many of your current answers are correct. The Honest Assessment of the Maid will tell you how many characters from the current round share a trait of your choice. If you are still struggling with a clue, the Stranger is your last Chance of Success. He will roll a die and with luck - give you the right answer.

But I warn you, beware of using these gifts too carelessly! There is only one of each for the whole game, so I pray you use them wisely.

Also, the silly names serve a purpose – there is at least one hint to the themes hidden among them. Now, for the long explanations:

1. Scales of Truth:

You are torn between two characters, who both fit certain clue? The

Father will measure their worth on his infallible scales and tell you the result. Correct answer > fits the theme > from the same family as the correct character > currently at the same location as the correct character > other connections.

Example: Here is one of my clues from the last game: “Marriage, appearance, unloving father… Awful!” and the answers given: Tyrion Lannister (correct), Ramsay Snow, Samwell Tarly, Lysa Tully.

All of them have unhappy marriages, awful appearance and bad relationships with their fathers. If you want help deciding between them, PM me and tell me you want to use the Scales of Truth for clue #1 and the characters Tyrion Lannister and Ramsay Snow. I will answer you that Tyrion Lannister weights more. (We have Correct answer > anybody else)

Instead, if you choose Ramsay and Samwell, the answer will be: Samwell weighs more. (Both Ramsay and Sam are wrong answers, they didn't fit the theme, they are not Lannisters, and none of them is in Meereen. But Sam was also disinherited and exiled (ok, not because of regicide, but still) and he was at the Wall, then in Essos. So he is closer to the correct answer than Ramsay, while still wrong.)

2. Gift of Enlightenment:

You have searched the wiki, re-read the books, asked your friends, blackmailed the host and you still have no idea which character is a clue referring to? The

Mother will smile upon your efforts and bless you with a second clue for this character.

Example: Last game there was a clue “Waits nonchalantly in pleasant grass. Complaisant? Nope.” and many players weren't sure who it referred to. The second clue: "Underestimated schemer "plays to win." made it clear - Doran Martell.

3. Sword of Clarity:

You have narrowed down the possibilities and now you almost have the answers. Almost. But a vital piece of information is missing. The

Warrior will come to your aid – with his great sword he will wrestle out the answer of one yes/no question for you.

Example: You can basically ask any yes/no question – “Is the answer of clue #7 Cersei Lannister?” or “Are there three Starks in this round?” or “Is the theme ‘characters with missing limbs’?” and I will tell you the answer.

4. Light of Wisdom:

You have some answers, but you are not sure if they are correct? The

Crone is wise and much is revealed in the light of her lantern… like the accuracy of up to 10 of your clue guesses from the current round. Unfortunately the light is a bit dim and you won’t see which ones are right or wrong, just how many.

Example: You can submit a list

like: #4 Margaery Tyrell.

or like: #4 Margaery Tyrell, #7 Cersei Lannister, #8 Varys.

or like: #1 Petyr Baelish, #2 Maester Pycelle, #3 Aurane Waters, #4 Margaery Tyrell, #5 Paxter Redwyne, #6 Tyrion Lannister, #7 Cersei Lannister, #8 Varys, #10 Ned Stark. #11 Janos Slynt.

In the first case, I will tell you you have 0 correct answers, in the second – 2 correct, in the third – 9 correct.

It is up to you to decide how many guesses to submit – if they are few, you have better chance guessing which the wrong one is. If they are many, you’ll have a better idea how well you are doing and if you can use the current answers to guess the theme.

5. Chain of Thought:

There is a tricky clue and you are not sure if you interpret it right? You follow certain chain of thought, but you suspect one of its links is weak? The

Smith will help you out. He will test your chain and tell you which link(s) break. He might even make a suggestion how to mend or replace these links or how to continue the chain until it’s complete.

Example: Let’s say you have following clue: “Warden where one girl’s hairy direwolf perished”. You immediately make the connection that the direwolf is Lady, but who is the ‘warden’?

If you PM me something like: "Chain of thought for clue #4: The only girls’ direwolfs are Nymeria and Lady. Only Lady is dead, so the clue refers to her. She died near the Trident in the Riverlands. The Warden of the East can call the banners in the Vale and the Riverlands, so that’s who we need. At the time, it was Jaime Lannister. Or was it still Robert Arryn?"

The answer will be: “She died near the Trident” is where your chain goes in the wrong direction, you should be more specific about Lady’s dying place. Also “warden” is defined as “a person responsible for the supervision of a particular place or activity or for enforcing the regulations associated with it ” and not limited to the four Wardens of North, East, West and South."

This might help you find out that Lady died at castle Darry, and the lord of the castle was Raymun Darry – who was the correct answer.

6. Honest Assessment:

You are struggling with the theme or there are couple of clues you’re not sure you got right? Give a character trait that is non-ambiguous (male or female, highborn or commoner; not good or evil). The

Maiden will tell you how many characters from the current round have this trait.

Example: Let’s say you suspect the theme is “characters who commanded a host during the War of five kings”.

You could use a yes/no question, but this preliminary will give you more information. If you PM me: "I want an honest assessment – were the characters battle commanders?" I will tell you that only seven of them were.

Now you not only know your theme guess is incorrect, you can also say five of your guesses are wrong and you have to change them.

7. Chance of Success:

There is a clue you don’t understand at all? It is so confusing you have no idea who it might refer to? Before you give up, there is a last chance you get the answer – a blessing from the

Stranger. He will roll a die and if you get 1, 3 or 5, he will tell you the right answer. If it is 2, 4 or 6, you won’t receive any points for this clue.

Example: You really don’t get clue #10 and ask for a Chance of Success. I’ll go to www.random.org, roll an imaginary die and if I get an odd number – I will tell you the answer of the clue. If it is an even number, you have no luck: even if you later realize the clue is for the Elder Brother from the Quiet Isle, you will not receive the 3 guessing points.

If you have questions, suggestions, recommendations, jokes or thoughts about life, universe and everything - please comment below.

Some fascinating ideas, Rhaena. This is why it's good not to have one specific rule set. Keeps us gamers on our toes.

Looking forward to it!

EDIT: If I understand the author points system correctly, we start collecting points after the fourth correct answer to our clue, therefore the maximum number of points we will receive for other players getting our clue correct in a round will be 4 less than the number of clues we are individually answering (not including our own clue, obviously)? So, if nobody else signs up and we are 12 players then the maximum will be 7 points?

If this is correct I like it because if you want points you still need to make the clue clear enough to be gettable, but you don't get a gigantic advantage for making the clue very easy.

I hope I can get them all right without help because I don't know if I have it in me to work out the hint system. I am clearly too old and confused to be converted to any religion unless it was extremely simple.

If I understand the author points system correctly, we start collecting points after the fourth correct answer to our clue, therefore the maximum number of points we will receive for other players getting our clue correct in a round will be 4 less than the number of clues we are individually answering (not including our own clue, obviously)? So, if nobody else signs up and we are 12 players then the maximum will be 7 points?

If this is correct I like it because if you want points you still need to make the clue clear enough to be gettable, but you don't get a gigantic advantage for making the clue very easy.

Expect changes here. A shadow signed up couple of hours ago, so you'll start getting points after the fifth answer if nobody else signs up (I'm going to wait until tomorrow). After couple of rounds we might decide it's better without the change. No idea. I am trying to level the favourite clue points, the author points and the difficulty of the characters.

My problem is, we have very easy characters -> many author points, even with a bad clue; some very hard characters -> automatically harder to get author points. So it make sense to have a maximum of seven points, but then people might just decide for a obscure clue with the logic it doesn't make a difference in their score, but they like the clue more.

Castellan: the Mother gives you a second clue (like last game); the Crone has the usual preliminary list (like the first three games); the Warrior has the yes/no question (like game four).

New ones are the Father, who tells you the which character fits the clue better from the two options you give him; the Maiden who tells you how many characters have certain quality; the Smith tells you if your logic is right when you interpret a tricky clue; the Stranger has is a chance game - if you win, you get the right answer, if you don't - you get nothing.

I did it on the 28th January, 1864 :ninja:

No, you didn't - I checked again, there are no messages from you before 26.02.2014. But I edited the deadline - it is 28th February, of course.

And anyway, you don't need an extension - you are one of the 9 players who have already sent their clue. The other 4 - if you hurry up, I might be able to post the clues this evening :)

Wait - has the deadline changed?

No, the deadline is tomorrow. A shadow noticed I wrote something like "If you need an extension - please let me know before 28. January " and decided to joke about your poor host's preoccupied mind. :crying:

And it was very preoccupied, because The Seven were giving me an interview. All wonderful players who have already submitted their clues are welcome to read it

here. Click on it for a bigger view.

I hope you enjoy it :)

No, the deadline is tomorrow. A shadow noticed I wrote something like "If you need an extension - please let me know before 28. January " and decided to joke about your poor host's preoccupied mind. :crying:

And it was very preoccupied, because The Seven were giving me an interview. All wonderful players who have already submitted their clues are welcome to read it

here. Click on it for a bigger view.

I hope you enjoy it :)

Nice interview Rhaena. :) Can't wait for this to all get underway.

Archived