Crasters 99 Sons.

stonecold stoneborn

Hi all, I've been following this forum for a while now and this is my first post so please be kind.

I have recently been re-watching the show gearing up for the next season when in a scene with craster and the nights watch in season 2 i'm certain he mentioned he had had 99 sons not sure if this is also mentioned in the books as I have only read them through the once, in season 4 we see one of crasters sons being transformed into an other, so does any of you think Gillys son (being the 100th if true) could be of any significance to the rise of the others.

Apologies if this has already been discussed.

Welcome to the forums.

No, it's not mentioned in the books, though he probably got about as many sons as he had daughters.

And no, he isn't related to the rise of Others, at all. Just a superstitious murderer with equally superstitious victims/helpers. None of his sons got transformed into anything but a corpse.

The Others existed before the were humans in Westeros. They don't rely on humans for reproduction. The Others still existed before Craster was born.

Welcome to the forums.

No, it's not mentioned in the books, though he probably got about as many sons as he had daughters.

And no, he isn't related to the rise of Others, at all. Just a superstitious murderer with equally superstitious victims/helpers. None of his sons got transformed into anything but a corpse.

The Others existed before the were humans in Westeros. They don't rely on humans for reproduction. The Others still existed before Craster was born.

How do you know the Others existed before there were humans in Westeros? I thought the Others first appeared during the long night and at that time the first men already lived in Westeros. Was is mentioned somewhere?

We don't know this. In fact one of Craster's wifes says to Sam that Craster's sons were coming after he died. An odd thing to add in the book if it is false since it is not talked about again.

And she's an uneducated, abused woman who had to live with her sons and nephews being murdered by her father/husband for 30-40 years, while she, her daughters, sisters and nieces are raped by him. The crazy and the denial are strong.

We don't know this. In fact one of Craster's wifes says to Sam that Craster's sons were coming after he died. An odd thing to add in the book if it is false since it is not talked about again.

She said the boy's brothers. She didn't say in what form. She could be thinking ghosts come for the baby.

FreeParking, the show aside, all of the magic we have seen in the series thus far has derived from sacrifice, so it is my theory that the Other sacrifice the babies for the power to resurrect the dead.

That's possible. But if so they should try sacrificing grown ups so that they can get fully functional wights like the R'hllorists do.

FreeParking, the show aside, all of the magic we have seen in the series thus far has derived from sacrifice, so it is my theory that the Other sacrifice the babies for the power to resurrect the dead.

Doesn't seem like anything was sacrificed when Mel gave birth to two shadow babies. Stannis is still very much alive. And what about her burning the eagle?

Doesn't seem like anything was sacrificed when Mel gave birth to two shadow babies. Stannis is still very much alive. And what about her burning the eagle?

Unless what she sacrifices in using that magic is her looks. And that's why she's glamoured. I prefer the idea that she's really old, and possibly undead, but you never know.

Archived