When did your favorite character become your favorite character?

The_Noctua

To be fair, I have three favorite characters whom I like equally: Bran, Davos and Stannis.

Bran became my favorite character during the chapter in aDwD when he repeatedly thinks: "A thousand eyes, a hundred skins, wisdom deep as the roots of ancient trees." Something about that quote gives me goosebumps.

Davos became a favorite of mine when he admitted to Melisandre that he was nor good nor evil, but that 'his parts were mixed', and when he described why it was so. I feel like Davos is the most human character in the story. If all fathers could be like him, then the world would be a much better place.

Stannis became a favorite when Sam thought this : "Few of the birds that Maester Aemon had sent off had returned as yet. One reached Stannis, though. One found Dragonstone, and a king who still cared."

Good question this. I also have three favourites, though I could push it to five or ten.

Jon Snow-Basically from the very start of the books I was a fan of his. He has his "Its not fair that I'm a Bastard" moments in GOT, but they are few and far between. His character development is good & his story line by far my favourite.

Jaime Lannnister-From the moment he gets his first POV. Before then he seems like a arrogant Villain with little about him, but he is one of the greatest characters ever.

Davos-Anyone who didn't like Davos from the start is lying.

Plus The Hound is the Greatest!

Jon Snow, pretty quickly I identified with his character because of things I have gone through and felt in my life. Then Arya, since me and my little sister are closest of our siblings.

Finally Tyrion, I am a smart ass like him so it's like a mirror.

I also root for a couple of people:

• Jon Snow, obvious. he is the main male protagonist from the get-go. The bastard (not recognised as an official Stark) sent away to protect the kingdom, only to find out nothing is what it seems and to grow into a leader;
  • Tyrion Lannister, I quickly discovered that his wits mide him differ from his direct family. I like his sense of humour and most of all his practical approach;
  • Arya, you know, the female Jon Snow. On a journey to get home, not recognised as a Stark wherever she goes, to find out nothing is what it seems and to be trained to become a master assassin;

All 3 characters are survivors, trying to find their way in a corrupted world, trying to do what's best (according to their mind and thoughts) al be it that Arya isn't mature enough to understand the concequences of her decisions.

I can't decide between Davos, Jon and Sansa.

Davos: Almost from the very beginning I respected Davos, simply because he was the only one to talk back to Stannis. However, it was in ADOD chapter that I truly saw him as one of my favourites. The scene where he is in audience with the Manderlys and Freys, and yet calls the Freys liars to their faces. That made me love the guy all in itself.

Jon: Ever since ASOS I loved Jon as a character. I wasn't too keen on him for the first two books, but that started to change with his interaction with the wildlings (in which he begins to question if they are enemies),and after Ygritte's death I really felt for him, even if it does start the progress towards him trying to integrate wildlings into the realm. So I guess it was a book long transgression, but it seemed to really start with him meeting Ygritte.

Sansa: I did not like Sansa at all in AGOT, yet now she is one of my favourite fictional characters. The emotional growth throughout the books makes for incredible reading, and I actually can't pinpoint a single moment that turned the table. It was probably the opposite: the slow transformation that made me love her, as opposed to one stand out scene.

I saw the ads on youtube for season 4 and saw a hot blonde with dragons. That was the first time I saw anything GOT related because I had ignored the show basically on the grounds it was a fantasy show and medieval theme has never appealed to me. But I clicked for a few Daenerys scenes and loved them. Still decided to ignore the show and buy the books instead. Read all the Daenerys chapters at one go and were surprised by how good they were. Especially ADWD is amazing!

I read the other chapters later on but Dany is still THE reason I bother with the series. She's such a complex character and I strongly relate to her. Also, I'm far far more interested in Essos than in Westeros. Especially the Mereen chapters are excellent because they revolve around complicated, current issues such as inequality, immigration, terrorism, economy and sickness. In the middle of those issues you have a very idealistic, and in that sense very modern, post-materialistic Dany weighing on what is right and what is wrong. When I read about Mereen I feel like I'm reading about politics of today, just in a fantasy setting. With Westeros it's the politics of yesterday that are stressed: nationalism, and lately the influence of church. Dany's values are not rooted in religion or nationalism. She's the face of globalism, travelling from one corner of the world to another, learning their gods, languages and traditions.

Dolorous Ed: "Once they figure a way to work a dead horse, we'll be next. Likely I'll be the first too. 'Edd,' they'll say, 'dying's no excuse for laying down no more, so get on up and take this spear, you've got first watch tonight.' Well, I shouldn't be so gloomy. Might be I'll die before they work it out."

Daenerys, IMO she's the most developed character with the most unique story. I've loved her since book 1

Edit- Little late with this but bran as well, ever since bloodraven's "you will fly". So when I re-read the books I paid more attention to him and his story and loved it.

Davos - When Cersei told us that Davos was dead I realised I had so much love for the man and it was probably the hardest death for me.

Theon - I think it's a progressional thing for him. I hated him in the first two books but as he reappeared as Reek I couldn't help but feel sympathy and I love who everyone talks so freely around him thinking he's nothing but I suspect he'll tie a lot of things together and have some influence with his knowledge.

Jamie - As someone said above, it was the first moment that we could see into his head that I found some sort of respect and understanding for him.

During AGOT the character i was fully behind was Ned because he was THE goog guy in the story... then following ned along you get a glimpse of the Robert of old, his best friend and mighty warrior-king but nevertheless i was focused on Ned and his son Jon Snow... then the deathbed scene arrived...

He winced. "Gods have mercy."

"They will, my friend," Ned said. "They will."

Man, i thought this guy was like a hero of old, tolkienesk stuff... as the other books came out i´ve read and reread those and told to myself, young bob is the guy i would like to be (minus his biggest flaws, that i admit he has), and his transformation to his fat-self is so realistic and such a potencial waste, but it just felt even more sense to me... Ned was the guy i would like as a father, Jon the boy i would like as a son... and young Robert the guy i would like to BE (all of those in medieval times of course) :)

Well, I also have three I guess:

Bran: From the get-go I felt strangely connected to him. I managed to get myself unspoiled whilst reading the books, except where Bran was concerned, whenever he seemed to have died I searched the internet to make certain he was okay.

Theon: Originally he had this ominous air about him, always smiling (I liked that bit, it appeals to me in some way), then we got in his head, and the struggle in his head of finding his own identity, later on even amplified when he became Reek, made me connect to him.

Doran Martell: His secrecy and subtlety makes him bad-ass. Everybody sees him as a loser, but he doesn't care, and just keeps on going his own way, secretly making pacts, carefully planning, whilst no one considers him to be potentially dangerous.

Then of course there is a list of other characters who I like(d) more than average: Sandor, Bronn, Quentyn, Meera Reed, Arya, Jaime since his hand was cut of, and of course Jhogo: I also absolutely love him!

I saw the ads on youtube for season 4 and saw a hot blonde with dragons. That was the first time I saw anything GOT related because I had ignored the show basically on the grounds it was a fantasy show and medieval theme has never appealed to me. But I clicked for a few Daenerys scenes and loved them. Still decided to ignore the show and buy the books instead. Read all the Daenerys chapters at one go and were surprised by how good they were. Especially ADWD is amazing!

I read the other chapters later on but Dany is still THE reason I bother with the series. She's such a complex character and I strongly relate to her. Also, I'm far far more interested in Essos than in Westeros. Especially the Mereen chapters are excellent because they revolve around complicated, current issues such as inequality, immigration, terrorism, economy and sickness. In the middle of those issues you have a very idealistic, and in that sense very modern, post-materialistic Dany weighing on what is right and what is wrong. When I read about Mereen I feel like I'm reading about politics of today, just in a fantasy setting. With Westeros it's the politics of yesterday that are stressed: nationalism, and lately the influence of church. Dany's values are not rooted in religion or nationalism. She's the face of globalism, travelling from one corner of the world to another, learning their gods, languages and traditions.

Excellent post!

I have to say though that you are one of the few people who enjoyed the Meereen arc. I have had my issues with it but after participating in the Dany re-read I really came to appreciate this part of her arc.

As for the OP - I liked Dany form the beginning. I really related to the shy girl becoming more assertive because of difficult life experiences.

Archived