Why did Sansa stay in Kings Landing rather than leave with the Hound?

Exactly as the title asks, I'm wondering why you think Sansa stayed in Kings landing when the Hound was offering her an escape route. It always confused me because she seems to lose her fear of him in this chapter, and even remembers him fondly afterwards. So why stay with in Kings Landing with Jeoffrey instead?

He was DRUNK, held a knife to her throat, Stannis at this point was close to entering the gates and winning, in her mind it was safer to wait for Stannis then to go with a broken violent drunk.

+ He actually did not even offer her to go with him. At least not in words. Nor give her time to reply.

+ He actually did not even offer her to go with him. At least not in words. Nor give her time to reply.

True, Sansa may not be LF smart but she be smart enough to stay safe behind stone walls instead of going with a drunk.

Exactly as the title asks, I'm wondering why you think Sansa stayed in Kings landing when the Hound was offering her an escape route. It always confused me because she seems to lose her fear of him in this chapter, and even remembers him fondly afterwards. So why stay with in Kings Landing with Jeoffrey instead?

Well, let's see:

1) He was totally drunk and violently unstable;

2) He held a knife to her throat;

3) He barely even made his offer to take her away, then - before she could even process what he was saying or reply in any way - went berserk and held a knife to her throat and forced to her to sing, and then he cried and left. It's not like she even ever had a chance to say "yes" (she never got to say either "yes" or "no"), even if she wanted to, and even if it had looked like a remotely good idea.

I think that's enough to explain it.

Whether she would have gone with him if he hadn't completely messed it up and if he had acted in a more stable and rational manner and given her a chance to accept, as he did in the TV show, that's another question. She was much closer to him and trusted him more in the books than she did in the show, so she may have. But I'm not sure if it would have been such a great idea to go and put yourself completely in the hands of one guy who's unstable, has fire phobia, and is incredibly recognizable in the entirety of Westeros, and rely on him to take you halfway through the continent on his own (while you're also quite recognizable and a highly prized hostage), while also relying on him not to go into another PTSD episode or rage when she doesn't look him straight in the face or something. Then again, Sansa's main option - Dontos - also wasn't great, but she was ready to take that option just to get away from KL. So, she would have most probably said yes if he had approached her at some point in a normal manner and made a clear offer.

Because Cat said to Sansa: never ride away with a drunk and armed man you don't really know.

So, y'all are saying it's not how you successfully court a girl?

Basically this. Well the drunk part might help if she is drunk as well, but the knife isn't really helping.

I get what everyone is saying, and maybe I just wished she had (I don't get the SanSan hype, simply they had an interesting connection to read about). I thought the same as you did at first, but this is the scene where Sansa realises that Sandor would not hurt her, and actually does care about her. She does think of him more positively in the future, as seen by her thinking they'd kissed even though they hadn't. I guess what confused me was that she seemed to see past the whole knife thing, past his being drunk, past his rough personality. She sees the real Sandor Clegane who wants to help her, but still didn't go with him. Am I just being completely crazy in thinking that is a bit odd?

The Hound left without her. After the song and her cupping his cheek, he left. I think Sansa was right not to go with him. Jamie was still a prisoner of the Starks, and Tywin would try to keep the info of Sansa's escape from the Starks as it possibly could mean the death of Jaime. I could see Tywin sending out troops to recover Sansa and kill the Hound.

If the Starks learned Sansa was running with the Hound, they too would have sent men to find them. If they found them I think they too would try to kill the Hound and return Sansa to the Starks. Either scenario holds much danger for both Sansa and Sandor. Plus plenty of other bad shit could happen as well.

In short, because Sandor ended up being a complete asshole. His offer of protection was sincere, but he completely botch it. A real charming one that ol' Sandor is.

Plus, as others have pointed out, the logistics of Sandor's rescue would have been very difficult and Sansa, I think, instinctively knew it.

So, y'all are saying it's not how you successfully court a girl?

Yeah, I heard “The Sandor Clegane Guide On How To Pick Up Women” is like one of the shortest books ever written. However, “The Sandor Clegane Guide On How To Scare Women Off” is like a four volume set. Jorah Mormont is the only person that has more expertise in scaring girls off, than Sandor does.

Yeah, I heard “The Sandor Clegane Guide On How To Pick Up Women” is like one of the shortest books ever written. However, “The Sandor Clegane Guide On How To Scare Women Off” is like a four volume set. Jorah Mormont is the only person that has more expertise in scaring girls off, than Sandor.

H'eh! And yet, both have a girl thinking about each of them quite often.

You know I like Sandor. Still, I can't help but to make fun of him.

In one thread you say you envy his pick-lines, in another thread they're just not good enough for you. But to compare him to Jorah Mormont? Srsly, that's fucked up!

/snark

Archived