RIP Leonard Nimoy

Greywolf2375

Growing up as a geeky kid in the 60's was so much easier after Spock. It almost became cool to be a geek. That alone is enough for me to remember him with great fondness. I will miss him. Goodbye Mr. Spock.

After hearing of his death I had to post one of my favorites pictures on my Facebook page.

When I was a child in the late 70's many of the stars of Star Trek came to Joplin for a press conference. My father was a local news director so my family and I got to go with him. Being raised by a mom who loved Star Trek among other Sci Fi movies books etc, I was beyond excited. Most of the main characters were present except William Shatner and I got to meet every on of them. They were all beyond sweet to me, who at the time I was just an annoying freckle faced girl who probably got under their feet more than anything.

I loved to take pictures and was clicking away as my father interviewed them with his very large recorder. lol After all these years and one house fire, the only picture I have left is the one with my father interviewing Leonard Nimoy. I remember thinking he was very tall and I was almost intimated by him. Then he smiled at me and spoke to me briefly. I do not even recall what he said, but what ever it was, I felt at ease with him afterwards. He was a gracious man and took the time to speak to a child and let my father interview him, even though it was a tiny town that I am sure they wondered why the heck they were there.

The picture was precious to me because it was a memory of my father, but now it has an added memory of meeting a very talented man, that made such an impression to so many people.

RIP :(

Spock is one of my all-time favorite TV characters, thanks to Mr. Nimoy and the complexity, gravitas and charisma, and even the development (he came up with the Vulcan greeting, for instance) he gave the character who had been initially conceived as a one-note character. Amazing actor and all-around amazing human being (who brought to life an amazing half-human being on the screen).

I haven't watched Fringe, but it's been ony my list of what I intend to watch when I find the time.

I know part of him hated the charecter he was most known for but if you have to be known for something it might as well be that. I'm going to have to go watch that simpsons/xfliles spoof where he shows up and rasie a glass.

I have the impression he really liked Spock as a character and didn't hate being identified with him.

Great character but he showed in Fringe and with various voice-over work that he wasn't a one-trick pony. I'm also shocked that I never knew he directed Search for Spock and Undiscovered Country (the latter of which is one of my favourites of the Trek franchise).

I was just watching this last night always makes me laugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGF5ROpjRAU

Try getting that out of your head

I know part of him hated the charecter he was most known for but if you have to be known for something it might as well be that. I'm going to have to go watch that simpsons/xfliles spoof where he shows up and rasie a glass.

thanks for putting that song in my drunken head. i had never heard it..may it never leave me

...spock is dead...all hail Spock.... :bowdown:

Growing up as a geeky kid in the 60's was so much easier after Spock. It almost became cool to be a geek. That alone is enough for me to remember him with great fondness. I will miss him. Goodbye Mr. Spock.

i was 15 when star trek first aired and it changed my thought process...made me know there was a world outside bayou La Fourche...

[Around camp fire singing "Row Row Row your Boat"]

Kirk: Come on. Spock... Why didn't you jump in?

Spock: I was trying to comprehend the meaning of the words.

McCoy: It's a song, you green-blooded... Vulcan. You sing it. The words aren't important. What's important is that you have a good time singing it.

Spock: Oh, I am sorry Doctor. Were we having a good time?

McCoy: God I liked him better before he died.

Kirk: We are assembled here today to pay final respects to our honored dead. And yet it should be noted that in the midst of our sorrow, this death takes place in the shadow of new life, the sunrise of a new world; a world that our beloved comrade gave his life to protect and nourish. He did not feel this sacrifice a vain or empty one, and we will not debate his profound wisdom at these proceedings. Of my friend, I can only say this: of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most... human.

and of course my favorite spock moment...enjoy my friends... :smoking:

Archived