A Luke Skywalker situation

Spun City

So I was reading that the actor Alfie Allen had asked GRRM on who Jon's real parents are and he is quoted as saying "...and he told me. I can't say who, but I can tell you that it involves a bit of a Luke Skywalker situation." Though this is statement is just hearsay, I find it very intriguing if true. So who is the Darth Vader of GOT? Well there is one main character that we don't know too much about his past as he has never had a POV chapter, has definitely turned to the dark side(black magic),yields a shiny(light saberish?)sword, and has demonstrated at least some favor towards Jon. Could Stannis be Jon's father? Could R +L =J be replaced with S+L =J? Perhaps Stannis in his past wasn't as rigid and hard up but had some moments of vulnerability and passion in his affair with Lyanna Stark. Perhaps Lyanna went off with Rhaegar to save Stannis from getting caught by his brother Robert. Melisandre sees Stannis as the Azor Ahai...perhaps she isn't so far off with it really being the offspring of Stannis. Anyways, I can't think of a more Luke Skywalker moment than when Jon would realize Stannis is his father.

I think that this qualifies as a bit of a Luke Skywalker situation.

Luke - mother dies in childbirth

Jon - mother dies in childbirth

Luke - raised by his uncle

Jon - raised by his uncle whom he believes to be his father

Luke - is presented with a cool light saber

Jon - is given/rewarded with a cool Valyrian Steel sword

Perhaps Lyanna went off with Rhaegar to save Stannis from getting caught by his brother Robert.

This doesn't make much sense. How would Lyanna running off with Rhaegar save Stannis from being caught by Robert? Also we know that Robert and Stannis were together at Storm's End at the outset of the rebellion since Robert is the one who commands Stannis to hold Storm's End. So Stannis was not hiding from Robert.

Anyways, I can't think of a more Luke Skywalker moment than when Jon would realize Stannis is his father.

When Jon realises that Rhaegar is his father and Lyanna his mother? That would be a pretty big shock to him, don't you think?

So who is the Darth Vader of GOT?

I don't think there is an exact parallel to DV in this series. Going with RLJ, the only thing I can think of is that Rhaegar could fit the role in part since his abduction/elopement with Lyanna is a factor that lead to rebellion and eventually the downfall of House Targaryen. If Lyanna went willingly then she shares some of the blame as well. Of course Brandon's hotheadedness and Aerys' insane response to the situation is to blame as well.

Well this can mean a host of things,but in a nutshell.

1. Luke twin sister lost their mother while she gave birth to them.

2. Luke was raised with his uncle and aunt

3. Went off to become part of a noble order (Jedi)

4.But wait, father turned out to be alive and shady as hell

5.Father achieves redemption by saving son from fate.

Hey Consigliere thanks for your thoughts. I'm new to the forum obviously, but to answer some of your questions:

1)If Robert and Stannis were together when Robert was around Lyanna, then perhaps this affair could have happened. Some type of love triangle..when Robert is about to find out the truth, Lyanna goes off with Rhaegar to take the heat off of Stannis.

2)Jon finding out Rhaegar is his father would definitely be a shock, agreed. But more towards the Luke Sywalker analogy I think would be Stannis because Jon has watched Stannis burn people alive, and would be overall all be more disgusted and appalled as Luke was when finding the truth. Jon never new Rhaegar, and as a person I think he had a pretty good reputation as a person..good on the battle field but refined in real life.

Anyways, I admit RJL makes perfect sense, just thinking out of the box a little bit... I think it would be cool if there was another side to Stannis than the one dimension that has been shown.

Hey Consigliere thanks for your thoughts. I'm new to the forum obviously, but to answer some of your questions:

1)If Robert and Stannis were together when Robert was around Lyanna, then perhaps this affair could have happened. Some type of love triangle..when Robert is about to find out the truth, Lyanna goes off with Rhaegar to take the heat off of Stannis.

2)Jon finding out Rhaegar is his father would definitely be a shock, agreed. But more towards the Luke Sywalker analogy I think would be Stannis because Jon has watched Stannis burn people alive, and would be overall all be more disgusted and appalled as Luke was when finding the truth. Jon never new Rhaegar, and as a person I think he had a pretty good reputation as a person..good on the battle field but refined in real life.

Anyways, I admit RJL makes perfect sense, just thinking out of the box a little bit... I think it would be cool if there was another side to Stannis than the one dimension that has been shown.

1. The problem here is that according to what has been revealed thus far in the text, Lyanna and Robert were in the same place only at the ToH in 281AC. It is unknown whether Stannis was present as well. Even if he was, it is impossible for Jon's conception to have taken place at the tourney based on the timeline established in the books as well as what Martin has said in relation to Jon's window of birth.

2. I don't think that Jon not knowing Rhaegar would be any sort of emotional obstacle. There are people at the Wall who could fill him in on events leading up to, and during, the rebellion. It is not inconceivable, for reasons mentioned in my previous post, that Jon could end up viewing Rhaegar as the 'bad guy' and thus harbour some resentment.

I think that the Luke Skywalker statement is sometimes taken too far. I don't believe for a second that Martin is just ripping off this plot point from Star Wars and thus there does not need to be an exact parallel i.e. there must be a DV role therefore Jon's father is still alive, Jon must have a twin sister etc. There are some similarities as I already pointed out and that is as far as it goes, imo.

He means he'll be captured by a hairy giant and hung upside down in an ice cave.

I thought it meant he would go into the swamps of the Neck and be tutored by Howland Reed, who it turns out is shrunken and wrinkled centuries before his time

Well Mance left the NW after becoming disenchanted with the order (hypocrisy was the tipping point for both Raider and Skywalker) and raised one of the largest fighting forces in the land to oppose them.

Mance likes a certain song where a certain lord's daughter is seduced and impregnated.

Raider rhymes with Vader.

That's enough evidence for me, sold.

Archived