Biggest show failures over Seasons 1-4

Lord of Winterhell

I hardly ever post but the biggest show failure for me has to be Tyrions "Orson Lannister" speech. Not only the worst scenes in GOT but one of the worst scenes i've ever watched. Made all the more jarring because it was in a show I genuinely love.Just excruciating.

After that The Mountain and Daario's recasting got right on my nerves. They got it right first time!!!!

I'm a Stannis fan so I live in vain they somehow sort him out at some point.

• Dany's Season 2 storyline: ok they didn't have that much to work with but all she seemed to do was act like a brat and whine for her dragons. And she told Doreah to find out more about Xaro (?) then when she found them in bed didn't even give her friend a chance to explain herself (she couldn have been putting on a good act) Ok I know it's not really that big of a deal

All the unneeded scenes with whores (that horrible Craster's keep scene from S4 springs to mind)

The Sept scene - while icky (it was in the book as well) all they needed to do was have Cersei verbally agree to what they were doing

The Mountain #2 and 3. The third one was ok apart from when he spoke - fair play he isn't an actor but the accent was so jarring especially compared to the Hound

Orson/Beetles/No Tysha/How Jaime and Tyrion left things. It's quite likely they won't see each other again and it was a little cheesy to have them depart on good terms.

Not making the most of good peripheral characters in the main cast's storylines like Barristan/NW characters bar Jon/Roose

The very end of the Purple Wedding was a bit of a shambles but not in the way it should have been! I can understand the difficulties in trying to keep actors in shot/not have extras obscuring the view and that Jack & Lena apparently filmed the last part seperately which explains the rather quick antimclimatic end in which Cersei was more angry at Tyrion than devastated that her first born child was dead.

LF is so creepy now - I wish they'd write him slightly more subtle and not go about telling everyone his grand schemes

Lack of R+L = J do any unsullied even care who Jon Snow's mum is?!

I wouldn't get passionately angry or anything at these little things on rewatches or anything. I still love the show and accept that everything can't be derived from the text :cool4:

I read the books after season 2 and remember shocked by how awesome the house of the undying scene was. In the show it was okay I liked the fact that Dany didn't touch the iron throne because "Snow" was on it. Also Dany's child had dark hair which hints to show viewers that not all of targaryens are silver blond. :wideeyed:

Major scenes changes/failures:

• Sansa kneeling to Tyrion (S3/8)
  • Only Cat - your sister change (S4/7)

These two being on the list are absurdity. Both are 100% irrelevant and insignificant.

The biggest mistake the show has ever made is the Tyrion - Shae storyline. By trying to make Shae more of a character and making her actually love Tyrion, they made the story completely cringeworthy for nearly 3 full seasons, culminating in the absurdity of season 4 where Shae essentially backstabs Tyrion for yelling at her and calling her a whore (which she is and which she called herself numerous times). I could go on and on about how bad they botched that 9and have in other places).

Second biggest mistake was combining the two battles at the wall into one in season 4 and putting them in episode 9 instead of having 2 separate battles earlier in the season as was done in the books. This choice had many bad repercussions - it dragged out Jon's storyline too much, it led to the rather foolish Craster's Keep storyline, it dragged out Stannis' storyline too much for the season's first half and has pushed storylines for Jon off too much such that he is now a bit behind the other characters.

Third biggest mistake was Robb and Catelyn not hearing about Bran and Rickon's 'deaths' until after the Talisa marriage/releasing of Jaime since that wiped out much of the motivation for both of those decisions. This was the most easily avoidable of the three.

Those aside they've done a fairly good job for any intentional changes (the Jaime - Cersei scene was an unintentional blunder). Yeah, there's the occasional blunder (Yara attacks the Dreadfort for example), but I'm quite happy with the job they've done and feel they've been justified on most of their changes.

These two being on the list are absurdity. Both are 100% irrelevant and insignificant.

I agree about "Only Cat" -- I'm dubious that the audience wouldn't have understood the original line, but as far as changes go, it's not significant.

Sansa not kneeling exemplifies their terrible handling of her storyline in season 3 (and in KL more generally, frankly).

-The handling of Stannis in general. Seasons 2 and 4 Stannis are... not good, but passable, if you set the bar low and forget, like, one scene each. Season 3 Stannis? No. God no. The scene where he decides to go the Wall especially is awful. IMO, the biggest single screw-up in the show was that scene; it removed so many great layers of characterization for all three characters involved in the scene in favor of "Stannis the Dark Lord".

-Melisandre. The second most butchered character after Stannis. No wonder GRRM said she his was most misunderstood character.

-Jaime. This is one is particularly disappointing for me, because they picked the perfect actor to play him. Yet, despite the talent they have available, they keep crapping on him. The show made him look significantly less capable in every single one of his fights (both as a swordsman and as a commander), cut out his Riverlands story, made him kill his own cousin, and, oh yeah, turned him into a rapist. I simply can't take Show Jaime seriously anymore unless I just pretend that, at the very least, the rape never happened.

-Most of the season 4 finale. Brienne meeting Arya and Sandor, the Tysha thing, Tyrion murdering his dad because he called a whore a whore (a whore that Tyrion just murdered), etc.

-The general whitewashing of Tyrion's character. It felt like the showrunners missed the point of him.

-Okay, while this one is relatively minor, the army sizes. The shows' army numbers really don't make any sense, when you stop to think about them, which causes holes in the plot and makes certain characters' actions look unbelievable. I don't why this is an issue; it could be fixed by some simple dialogue changes.

Mishandled characters

Jorah Mormont. Though an audience favorite, he has been whitewashed aswell. His passionate advances on the ship have been completely ommited; transforming him into a gentle mannered, beaten friendzoned guy. They took the guy's balls off and they made him compete with Barristan in the wise grandfather role instead. Right now he resembles more a knight in shinny armor, than the obsessive Daenerys fanatic he is in the books. Since this changes make all spectators pity him; we're all hoping he will finally get an intimate moment with Danny onscreen; thus hating her for sending him away and disregarding her feelings for Daario

Tormund Giantsbane I feel he lacks the bold humor he has in the books. He was a very likeable character, in the show he's a kinda dull, exposition fellow.

As for why Shae is so disliked in the show; I dare to say that is because she has been too whitewashed aswell. In the books she's a young, ambitious and kinda basic mistress. Tyrion is more like her captor than her lover; he's jealous and possesive. She pleases him just as mean to obtain luxuries and fullfill her glory dreams, and she betrays him with the same motivations in mind. In sum, she's a very consistent character. But in the show they expanded her into this intelligent, independent and strong woman. A golden-hearted whore, she didn't cared about money and glory and just wanted to run away with Tyrion. They made her Sansa's guardian angel; and in the blink of an eye she betrayed everything she stood for just out of resentment...which one can swallow just to a certain degree. Seems too over the top that she condems the man she loves to death AND sleeps with his father just because she's butthurt

Missing Scenes: Some confirmation/hint that it was Joffrey who sent the assasin after Brand. It was relevant to the story and probably a better way to portay him as a psycho than using Rose

Filming a rape scene and then defending it as consensual, actively abetting rape culture, giving dangerous reinforcement to probably millions who don't know what rape is and see nothing wrong with what Jaime did.

Filming a rape scene and then defending it as consensual, actively abetting rape culture, giving dangerous reinforcement to probably millions who don't know what rape is and see nothing wrong with what Jaime did.

Yeah, that's not at all what happened. It WAS written as a consensual sex scene, it was just so terribly directed that it seemed like a rape scene. Accusing the show of anything else is at best completely ludicrous and at worst horribly deluded.

Wow just wow

Its one thing to get angry over that scene but its another to claim that show was telling millions of people that rape is ok

it was a badly directed scene not some endorsement of rape culture

( the show has actually brutally killed off a lot of rapist characters )

you sound just as ridiculous as Alex Graves did

Yeah, that's not at all what happened. It WAS written as a consensual sex scene, it was just so terribly directed that it seemed like a rape scene. Accusing the show of anything else is at best completely ludicrous and at worst horribly deluded.

They might have intended to portray it a consensual, but that is not how it came off at all. The fact that the director wouldn't shut up after he screwed up didn't help either.

I agree that is the biggest failure of the show for me too.

Wow just wow

Its one thing to get angry over that scene but its another to claim that show was telling millions of people that rape is ok

it was a badly directed scene and not some endorsement of rape culture

you sound just as ridiculous as Alex Graves did

That's impossible.

it was a badly directed scene not some endorsement of rape culture

I think it was both. I don't know how important are the intentions when you film a terrible scene like that one. I think they really made a huge mistake. The fact that everyone involved in that scene tried to support it after it happened made things worse.

I'm a hardcore D&D partisan, but the season 2 scene where Jaime murders his cousin still bugs me.

Also I have to agree with those who criticized the direction of the Mountain and Viper duel. It was at best the third best fight scene of that season when it should have been the crown jewel of the entire series (up to that point).

I think it was both. I don't know how important are the intentions when you film a terrible scene like that one. I think they really made a huge mistake. The fact that everyone involved in that scene tried to support it after it happened made things worse.

Than we will have I agree to disagree

Im sorry but badly directing or editing a scene does not mean that you endorse rape

and we have no idea how this scene looked or felt like when these guys were actually on set filming it

to the cast and crew it was a scene they probably did multiple takes on and had no idea how it would look until it ended up on the screen

To all of them the scene they were filming looked very different than what we saw in the episode

and Lena heady herself didn't think see was filming a rape scene

To me that just shows us how big of a role editing can play in making something look and feel very different than what they were making when they were on the set filming it.

But it is always that way. All the people involved in the creative process say it was this and that. Then the internet says NO, NO, NO. NO it is thas and thit. Of course is internet is right. No doubt about that.

Than we will have I agree to disagree

Im sorry but badly directing or editing a scene does not mean that you endorse rape

We have no idea how this scene looked or felt like when these guys were actually on set filming it

to the cast and crew it was a scene they probably did multiple takes on and had no idea how it would look like until it ended up on the screen

To all of them the scene they were filming probably looked very different than what we saw in the episode

and Lena heady herself didn't think see was filming a rape scene

To me this just shows how big of a role editing can play in making something look and feel very different than what they were making when they were on the set filming it.

Yeah we'll agree to disagree. The fact that they all defended the scene even after it aired tells me that they had absolutely no idea what they were talking about. Not to mention the director's comment. That crossed the line into endorsing.

Archived