Is Theon better off?

Seaworth'sShipmate

Now that he is Reek? Theon Greyjoy pre-Reek was awful: Arrogant, show-offy, cruel and traitorous.

Ever since he came under Ramsay's care, Theon has become a better person, in that he is kinder to other people. He feels sorry about the people Ramsay makes suffer, and he honestly regrets betraying Robb and his family ( who generously and kindly cared for him all these years, better than how his own family would have and did.)

The biggest indication of his changed nature was his being brave enough to rescue Jeyne Poole.

So as painful and unpleasant as his "Reeking" was, could he in some ways be a better person or "better off" as a result?

Yeah :rollseyes:

Imagine if all the arrogant, show-offy people in these books were tortured. Of course it softened him, but it wasn't good for anybody, except Ramsay.

and his family ( who generously and kindly cared for him all these years, better than how his own family would have and did.)

What?

The biggest indication of his changed nature was his being brave enough to rescue Jeyne Poole.

Wasn't he brave enough to save Bran from the wildlings before?

Now that he is Reek? Theon Greyjoy pre-Reek was awful: Arrogant, show-offy, cruel and traitorous.

cruel? really?

Robb and his family ( who generously and kindly cared for him all these years, better than how his own family would have and did.)

What? the only people who cared about Theon was Robb ( because he was his friend) and Ned (because Theon was his hostage). The rest didn't give a f*** about him.

It's a lot easier to say someone else is better off for going through whatever horrible thing they went through. You/me/whoever, after all, didn't.

:)

Like Mel Brooks once said (emphasis mine), "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall off a cliff and die."

Love this, solid post, solid quote, solid name pun. This is the stuff that makes this forum great.

cruel? really?

Yeah, I mean beheading people and murdering children and burning their bodies. Generally considered cruel.

As for the OP I think you are trolling, but I'll humour you. Yeah he's become more empathetic and remorseful, but that doesn't make him a better person. Also him rescuing Jayne was more about him getting a bit of his old courage back. Whatever he was he was always brave.

Yes, take away a man's manhood to make him meek and more suitable to societal norms. What a load of crap.

Have none of you seen A Clockwork Orange?

This is the modern feminist narrative you are supporting. It is against freedom and basic human principles.

Yeah. Theon's been mutilated, maybe castrated, beaten and brainwashed. He's as better as anyone could be in his situation. Reformation isn't worth what Theon went through, You'd have to be either a naïve child or a selfish git, or maybe both, to believe reformation is worth what Theon went through. I'd rather he went on with his arrogance, living life to the fullest and smart off to the wrong person than go through what Ramsay went through...I really want to see Ramsay burned living in a night fire like that Florent in ASOS.

No-one has mentioned Moat Cailin.

Post Reek Theon convinces the garrison that if they surrender they won't be harmed. One of them is so overjoyed he promises to name a son after Theon. Then Ramsay flays them all. IMO this is one of the darkest scenes of the entire series.

Pre-Reek Theon was never a turncloak, despite what people say. Now he is. He betrayed 77 of his families sworn men onto Ramsays flaying knife. It is hard to hold Theon accountable, seeing how scared and traumatised he is, but this is the result of his Reeking. Clearly he has been made much worse morally.

All that torture has got ridden of his arrogance and he is a better person, more empathetic, more human, less arrogant. He "reformed" the hard way.

I think I disagree with all of you on this point.

If anything, Theon has become LESS empathetic and less human.

He has been tortured and mind-tricked, and what it has taught him? To fear and respect one and only one other person in the world.

He surely is displeased for other people (fake Arya, his fellow Ironborns, etc.) to meet his own same fate, but he is not empathetic with them. He even participates to Ramsay games to torture other people (fake Arya). When one is in such struggling position it is inevitable to think 'better them than me'. That's not empathetic, nor human.

His arrogance has been shown to be empty and void, but the self-veneration has been replaced with veneration of someone else. He has in no way improved at all.

Insecure and forever searching for love and acceptance would be closer to the mark. But yeah, Theon saved Bran from the Wildings. Clearly he's a monster.

You omitted the part in which he endangered Bran's life by releasing an arrow that could have missed his target or be too powerful and cause Bran to loose his life.

Robb, his best friend, saw through Theon intentions: he was only trying to be the 'hero of the day', with no actual care for Bran.

jk

Archived