Why not to trust Quaithe

Josephkenbok08

Perfectly good reason for Dany not to trust Quaithe:

Page 309 in The World of Ice and Fire, first paragraph:

"most sinister of all the sorcerers of Asshai are the shadowbinders, whose LAQUERED MASKS hide their faces from the eyes of gods and men. They alone date to go upriver past the walls of Asshai, into the heart of darkness.

Because Quaithe wears a laquered mask... Good point on the pov reference Shadowbabies. There's just something about their darkness and lack of children I don't trust. Very Othersish

Um, I'm pretty sure that it was already said that shadowbinders were lacquered wood masks before tWoIaF was released. So I don't think Quaithe being a shadowbinder is something new.

MMD should have taught Dany all about it, not to mention the obvious that a lot of what Quaithe has talked about hasn't come true, only what Dany saw in the house of the undying.

It's a huge red flag for me and is the hottest fuel for the Dany renegade and mad queen theories

But Dany doesn't reaply trust Quaithe. She takes much of what she says with a grain of salt.

Except she looks for the signs constantly and treats it like gospel, not with a grain of salt. "To go forward you must go back" and all that has become her mantra

Not really. She immediatepy.thinks of Quentyn when "the Sun's son" comes up, but it doesnt change her treatment of him. Nor does the warning about the perfumed seneschal. She suspects Reznak, but again, she only thinks of that briefly. IMO she is the opposite to Aerys in that regard (and Cersei too, btw). They both were consumed by rumours/prophecy that worked against them (Aerys by Varys, Cersei by Maggie) and it drove them into paranoia and.madness. By contrast, Dany does not become paranoid or obsessed with the warnings of Quaithe. I would even think of arguing that she doesnt take the warnings seriously enough, though thats open to debate

Archived