Stone Dragons.

Doctor Weirwood

Going around the forums I've seen many people discuss the possibility of someone (namely Melisandre and Euron) waking the stone dragons from Dragonstone, as hinted at in the house of the undying. However, I always interpreted the whole "living dragons wake from stone" thing to mean Dany's dragons awaking from the stone eggs at the end of AGOT, have I missed something that makes people see it the other way?

Going around the forums I've seen many people discuss the possibility of someone (namely Melisandre and Euron) waking the stone dragons from Dragonstone, as hinted at in the house of the undying. However, I always interpreted the whole "living dragons wake from stone" thing to mean Dany's dragons awaking from the stone eggs at the end of AGOT, have I missed something that makes people see it the other way?

Melisandre's mentioned waking a stone dragon to Stannis and Davos several times. Apparently sacrificing a king/prince will do it somehow. Given Loras was supposedly scouring Dragonstone for dragon eggs or dragons there may be something to it. Really the text we have so far has been very vague on it. Though I think Mel was likely to take any stone dragon/eggs with her when they left for the Wall. She seems crazy enough to order people to drag a huge statue onto a ship and get people to go along with it.

I actually think Melisandre may have been mistaken, and Dany was the one who woke dragons from stone. After all, at the start of AGOT we are told that the dragons in her eggs had been turned to stone long ago, yet she was still able to bring them to life.

It strickes me that one problem with this theory is the lack of kings blood (which Melisandre claims is important), but if either Khal Drogo or Dany entering the pit count then this is also solved.

I have always thought the same & still do. Though if it is a foreshadowing for a character or for more actual dragons I'd be happy either way

I actually think Melisandre may have been mistaken, and Dany was the one who woke dragons from stone. After all, at the start of AGOT we are told that the dragons in her eggs had been turned to stone long ago, yet she was still able to bring them to life.

It strickes me that one problem with this theory is the lack of kings blood (which Melisandre claims is important), but if either Khal Drogo or Dany entering the pit count then this is also solved.

Hmm.. Drogo + Viserys?

The House of the Undying doesn't mention stone dragons. That's all Mel.

There is a stone beast (breathing shadowfire) mentioned in the HotU and that's probably JonCon with his greyscale, bringing death to Westeros in the form of a highly contagious and fast-killing plague.

Could be Dany already woke dragons from stone. Could be that proof of Jon's dragon-ness is in Lyanna's tomb. Could be something to do with Shireen (greyscale scars plus Targ blood).

I doubt the dragonstone dragons are going to turn to live ones. Their just sculptures. More eggs could maybe hatch though.

To answer the OP's question:

GRRM introduced the stone dragon/stone beast mystery AFTER Dany's eggs had hatched. I would say it was a bit silly and wasteful of him to keep tantalizing us with clues to a mystery that has already been solved and is no longer a mystery. If this is not leading up to something ELSE, then it is a waste.

Whatever the stone dragon is, it is not Dany's dragons IMHO. And it if is ... that's kinda stupid.

Hmm.. Drogo + Viserys?

I thought of Viserys, but his blood wasn't really present so it shouldn't really count. Drogo would kind of make sense though.

To answer the OP's question:

GRRM introduced the stone dragon/stone beast mystery AFTER Dany's eggs had hatched. I would say it was a bit silly and wasteful of him to keep tantalizing us with clues to a mystery that has already been solved and is no longer a mystery. If this is not leading up to something ELSE, then it is a waste.

Whatever the stone dragon is, it is not Dany's dragons IMHO. And it if is ... that's kinda stupid.

That's a good point, but I took it as a red herring of sorts. If it was the other way around, everyone would figure it was Dany. By reversing the order, he has made the issue open to interpretation, rather than having a single clear favourite.

With regards to Dany and her "stone" eggs: Isn't it that Dany is the obvious contender with all these prophecies? The details seem to come true for her in very literal ways.

GRRM said:

"Prophecies are, you know, a double edge sword. You have to handle them very carefully; I mean, they can add depth and interest to a book, but you dont want to be too literal or too easy... In the Wars of the Roses, that you mentioned, there was one Lord who had been prophesied he would die beneath the walls of a certain castle and he was superstitious at that sort of walls, so he never came anyway near that castle. He stayed thousands of leagues away from that particular castle because of the prophecy. However, he was killed in the first battle of St. Paul de Vence and when they found him dead he was outside of an inn whose sign was the picture of that castle!"

So while Dany gets red comets, salty sea, smoky pyres and stone eggs, Jon gets Ser Patreks's bloody cloak, Marsh's tears, smoking wounds and.... I dunno. And there's probably contenders for Stannis, Tyrion, fAegon, Daario, Victarion... and all the secret Targs out there.

We need to think outside the box when thinking about "waking dragons from stone", as opposed to pointing at stone dragon eggs.

Not that I have any answers....

Archived