Watch, Watched, Watching: The Tribe Has Spoken!

Nox Irradiata

Just saw Gone Girl. I definitely have mixed feelings about it. It was a great film in all respects but...

the ending was so goddamn unsatisfying. I've never hated a movie character more than Rosamund Pike in this.

Ultimately, this is my 5th Fincher film (I've seen Se7en, Fight Club, Zodiac and CCoBB), and this slides in at #2 behind Zodiac. Definitely lived up to the hype.

Watched the first four eps of Luther yesterday while living under a blankie on my sofa. Quite liked it but I must say that continual unprofessional behaviour really gets on my tits. It's not quite on the Carrie from Homeland scale yet but I'm still giving it massive side-eye.

Finished the first episode of House of Cards this season. People seem to be ruthless with spoilers on television and the internet so I'll be poking my head around all internet corners for the next couple days till I finish.

I don't where to put this little bit of stupid TV trivia, so I'm just putting it here.

I learned something today that takes care of a tiny little burr that's been irritating my brain for the last decade. In the very first or second episode of 2 1/2 Men*, Angus asks Charlie what he does and Charlie says he writes jingles. Angus asks if he did anything he'd recognize and Charlie starts playing the actual theme from the 80's Teenage Mutant Ninja Cartoon. Angus just shrugs and says "must've been before my time".

Anyway what bothered me...kind of...was that I always thought, "Fine but what about the actual guy that wrote the TMNT, wouldn't he be upset about the show taking credit for it?"

So what I learned was, Chuck Lorre (executive producer of 2 1/2 Men) wrote the TMNT theme.

*All legal disclaimers saying herein forthwith I acknowledge 2 1/2 Men being a crappy show and was a blight on the television landscape for a decade...

I saw The Salvation the other day. It's a new western, of all things, with Eva Green and Mads Mikkelsen. I would never think that a movie with these two can be so boring but I was wrong. A typical revenge movie where you know exactly what's going to happen the moment all the players are introduced and done with no style or anything. I would not recommend.

Eva Green's characters tongue was cut out so she can't even talk...weak.

I saw The Salvation the other day. It's a new western, of all things, with Eva Green and Mads Mikkelsen. I would never think that a movie with these two can be so boring but I was wrong. A typical revenge movie where you know exactly what's going to happen the moment all the players are introduced and done with no style or anything. I would not recommend.

Eva Green's characters tongue was cut out so she can't even talk...weak.

There was a reason why it was number 30 on the list of 33 movies I saw in 2014 :P

EDIT: one thing you have to give the movie, Eric Cantona has an awesome villain beard :p

After watching Firefly for the first time I decided to watch Serenity. Thought it was good, although I much prefer it in show format. Fast paced is less good when you miss out on all the stuff we got in the show. Including the light humour.

I liked Chiwetel Eijofor in it. His character wasn't super in-depth, but he wasn't boring either.

I love Serenity but of course it could never be as good as Firefly, it's like a whole seasons worth of content in one movie. + It's a tad jarring to see what River was eventually supposed to become. But I love it nonetheless.

Glad you enjoyed Firefly! it's soooooo good. I can't believe I only watched it for the first time last year it's definitely become one of my favourite shows.

Granite State episode of Breaking Bad. Still like it more as an ending for the Walter White character than Felina. The last scene might be my favorite final scene of any of the episodes even over Crawl Space and Half Measures. And Robert Forster is the man

Just binged the first season of 'Danger 5' on Netflix. I'd never heard of it until this afternoon, when I read this awesome Grantland write-up. Its just as absurd as it sounds and I thought it was great. The second season just aired on Australian TV recently, but I can't wait until whenever it shows up on Netflix too.

Just saw Gone Girl. I definitely have mixed feelings about it. It was a great film in all respects but...

the ending was so goddamn unsatisfying. I've never hated a movie character more than Rosamund Pike in this.

Ultimately, this is my 5th Fincher film (I've seen Se7en, Fight Club, Zodiac and CCoBB), and this slides in at #2 behind Zodiac. Definitely lived up to the hype.

The ending is fantastic.

I mean, it's horrible but it's absolutely perfect for the story.

I thought Last Man On Earth was pretty good.

Spoiler

Alexandra Daddario :drool: .... Damn, I hope he imagines her again. Looks like from imdb a few more beautiful women will be in it -- I'm going to assume they'll all be his imagination too.

Spoiler
January Jones!
Kristen Schaal was perfect casting.

Watched Foxcatcher. I was not very impressed by it. Good acting generally but the film itself just left me feeling very... cold. It also seemed to drag way too much at points.

I watched Citizenfour (recorded it when it was on TV last week). I thought it was an interesting documentary, although it felt a bit unsure about whether to focus on the implications of Edward Snowden's revelations or on Snowden himself. It did spend a fair amount of time talking about NSA/GCHQ surveillance but I'm not sure there was much in the way of new information there beyond what had already been widely reported. I think the film was more interesting when focusing on the actual act of revealing the information, it's oddly fascinating seeing footage of Snowden and the journalists setting in a nondescript hotel room preparing what's probably one of the biggest journalistic scoops of recent years.

Archived