What happens to things that don't bend?

tseka

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gOfEgdGc_Hk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Robert was the true steel. Stannis is pure iron, black and hard and strong, yes, but brittle, the way iron gets. He'll break before he bends. And Renly, that one, he's copper, bright and shiny, pretty to look at but not worth all that much at the end of the day

-Donal Noye

Foreshadowing?

Noye, brave and beloved as he was, was very wrong about the Baratheon brothers, or at least, his opinion is based on what they were years ago.

Robert was the one who changed the most: he's the steel who got rusted. He did not only change physically, Ned couldn't believe Robert was so blind and indifferent to the real problems of the realm and his own family.

Stannis, otoh, is stubborn and obstinate but he makes concessions when it's needed: he bends. Robert would rather stomp his foot on the ground and leave because he hated confrontation.

Robert was also corrupted and allowed corruption to happen in KL. Stannis wanted LF and Slynt sacked for it. He's the one who would die before accepting a bribe or "bend" to corruption.

Foreshadowing? I don't think so. Dying of a refusal to bend is so broad it covers almost any possible death Stannis could have. Refusing to bend and flee the Others, refusing to bend and turn back from Winterfell, refusing to bend and surrender to Dany, refusing to bend and damaging his back in an unsafe lifting position, etc.

I think it more likely that Noye was just one of the many people GRRM had building an image of Stannis prior to his appearance. Ned wondered what could frighten him, and called him cold, proud and honourable, Littlefinger called him vengeful and unforgiving, Renly joked about him being a prude, Varys described him as an 'iron gauntlet' and considered him merciless, terrifying and just, Tywin considered him more dangerous than all his other enemies combined, and of course Noye thought him hard, strong and unbending. This image is confirmed and dispelled after having seen the man.

Foreshadowing? I don't think so. Dying of a refusal to bend is so broad it covers almost any possible death Stannis could have. Refusing to bend and flee the Others, refusing to bend and turn back from Winterfell, refusing to bend and surrender to Dany, refusing to bend and damaging his back in an unsafe lifting position, etc.

I hope not that this happens, but the imagination of such a death is too funny. :bowdown: :rofl:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gOfEgdGc_Hk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Robert was the true steel. Stannis is pure iron, black and hard and strong, yes, but brittle, the way iron gets. He'll break before he bends. And Renly, that one, he's copper, bright and shiny, pretty to look at but not worth all that much at the end of the day

-Donal Noye

Foreshadowing?

I watched the clip from the tv show. Was that the 2014 season? I'm not sure where the quote about the Baratheon brothers comes to play or on what page that description is in the books. Since I am not a steel worker I would have to say as to the title of the OP, "What happens to things that don't bend?" They break.

Steel can be reshaped but can be snapped, broken. Iron is sturdy & can sway. Copper is easily bent. As to the tv clip, I think that she is saying, okay you don't want to go along with me, I will show you what happens to those who do not fall in line.

Archived