March 2015 reads

First of My Name

I'm Just about done a re-read of A Darkness in Sethanon by Raymond Fiest. Overall, re-reading the The Riftwar Saga was a positive experience despite the prevalence of many fantasy tropes such as an orphan boy becoming a powerful magician, quests to find magical objects and evil (and yet stupid) being who threatens the world. Silverthorn was the only novel that I didn't like upon the re-read.
Up next is a non-fiction, The Riddle in the Labyrinth by Margalit Fox.

Finished off Feet of Clay by Terry Pratchett. Another thoroughly enjoyable Discworld read for me. I've been reading around 4 of these a year for a while now (that was the 25th), with each one seeming fresh.

Intending to pick up The Empty Throne by Bernard Cornwell tonight. The 8th of his Saxon series, I am looking forward to this one.

I am almost halfway through Crowley's "Little, Big" (in German translation), just another 300+ pages to go. A very strange book, I am not quite sure what to make out of it...

I'm reading Father of Lies by Ann Turner, another YA witch trials book. Interesting so far - the concept is that one of the girls who had fits was actually suffering from bipolar disorder. It's nice to read a new perspective.

On the 5th of March, the Cornish Reading Challenge begins. I'll be starting with Demelza, second in the Poldark series by Winston Graham. If you want to join in with the challenge, there's a link in my sig.

Currently reading Children of Dune after reading the first two in February. Thinking after this I am going to take a break from Sci-Fi and do a bit of fantasy before completing the Dune series (Just the original Frank Herbert stuff).

Thinking for fantasy that I might read some Abercrombie - bought Half a King yesterday and already own some First Law.

Finished up King of Thorns this weekend and started up Emperor of Thorns. I thought the first one was better and didn't like the dues ex machina at the end. Still enjoyable, but just not up to the same level as Prince of Thorns. Emperor has started out similarly to King, so my expectations aren't that high. In the meantime I'm continuing my progression through my Java coding book on the bus, hopefully will finish it this week; and have a TON of books in the mail. Should be able to continue the Dagger and the Coin series and the Long Price Quartet in the next few weeks. Really like Abraham's writing style.

One third through Constellation Games by newcomer Leonard Richardson. First-contact science fiction focussed on retro video game alien anthropology. Very funny, but may be mostly harmless (too early to say).

4th read of The Judging Eye by RS Bakker. Spectacular, mind-blowing epic fantasy.

2nd read of Soumission Houellebecq. Literary contemporary fiction, vicious. Very, very good.

Finished Abercrombie's Red Country. Very good and consistent with the rest of his work. While the grimdark is a bit fatiguing, I still get that delicious shiver when the Bloody Nine starts laughing.

For a comedic break I read a couple of the short stories in d6 (Caverns and Creatures). These were not as funny as the full length novels.

I just started Red Rising by Pierce Brown. I don't remember the source of this recommendation. I'm not impressed after the first few chapters. It feels like some pretty transparent self-pity fantasy of a cruel, oppressive regime like Hunger Games that's just there for an easy hate. I'll see if it gets better.

Will be starting The Way of Kings on the following days. I don't really know what to expect given thats my first Brandon Sanderson book

Expect a light, fun read. I like the story and characters, even if they were a bit one dimensional and the dialogue was sometimes cringeworthy.

Archived