March 2015 reads

First of My Name

Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel was beautiful and haunting. I've read more than my share of post-apocalyptic books but this one stands out. I don't have the energy and the time to do it justice, but trust me, it's worth reading.

Cotillion by Georgette Heyer was a fun read, with no strings attached. I find her books to be the best comfort reading. I see a lot more of them in my future.

I hope to start The Tooth Fairy by Graham Joyce today.

Reading the first book in The Chronicles of the Black Company but it is bloody annoying. The writting is absolutely terrible and I have almost left it a few times already. The story isn't that bad, but the writting is making me leave it unfinished. 90% of the sentences have less than 5 words, you have like 10-20 names mentioned in each page. So frustrating!

Reading the first book in The Chronicles of the Black Company but it is bloody annoying. The writting is absolutely terrible and I have almost left it a few times already. The story isn't that bad, but the writting is making me leave it unfinished. 90% of the sentences have less than 5 words, you have like 10-20 names mentioned in each page. So frustrating!

Couldn't agree more. I dropped The Black Company halfway through. For some reason, that series is well regarded around these parts.

DR and SkynJay: Good points. Also, aw man I feel forgetful but sincere question: Which one's Wrath of Kings? [the one whose high ranking on Goodreads DR mentioned as proof of the downfall of human kind.] I've sifted through my internal list of these types of shitty epic fantasies that've come out the last few years and I can't place it, and a quick Goodreads search isn't helping. Fuck, I've been paying attention long enough I'm starting to mix these things up. Also also, holy shit Amazon tells me Tor is doing a mass market paperback edition of Bilsborough's The Wanderer's Tale in January next year. I'd almost forgotten about it; why would they remind me that it exists, and that it's partially their responsibility? Madness!

Finished GRRM and team's latest Wild Cards book, Lowball, which continues the story of the police and citizens of Jokertown while also bringing a few of the characters from the previous Committee trilogy back for substantial appearances. I reliably enjoy these and I definitely dug this one; I'd say that I liked the parts focused on this latest Jokertown trilogy's main cast slightly less than Fort Freak, but I really do mean "slightly," and the inclusion of the Committee characters gives this book an extra kick for me -- I'm always down for more of those people. Lowball feels at first like an incremental progression of the Fort Freak story and character arcs, but by the end it's really shaken things up, expanding the story beyond Jokertown and introducing some painful consequences that feel like they'll be felt well past this book. The book's a little weird about Russians -- it's meant to be 2012 in Lowball, but there are moments when it feels like the stereotypical 1980s. The expansion of the story and the ending come fairly abruptly -- as I understand it Wild Cards books are supposed to form loose trilogies and tell complete stories in and of themselves, and I don't think I'd call this one's probable connection to the next one in any way "loose." It's an engaging ending, but the amount it leaves open is ... a lot. Those are the only two criticisms I've got off-hand, though. Fun stuff. Excited for the next one!

I can't quite seem to bring myself to finish Hobb's Fool's Assassin at this moment, because if I finish it there will be no more until August. So I've started Juliet Marillier's Dreamer's Pool instead. Solid but not remarkable so far.

I've only read the first two Black Company books, but it's clear that Glen Cook is a great writer. The "five words per sentence" thing is a stylistic choice, since the story is being told by a mercenary of few words.

It might be, but it is absolutely terrible. It is annoying, hard to concentrate and very bad writting IMO.

Anyway, near 60% of the book, I am more interested now on it and the story started to make sense, but still I won't now if I will continue with the others.

I started this series mostly to be prepared for Malazan (when I eventually decide to write it), but it doesn't look that I'll finish it.

Oh, ah, thanks. Isn't that Way of Kings, "way" not "wrath"? I thought it was decent as well -- and it pulls itself together nicely in the ending, but nothing like how it's talked about, I agree. One character's plot arc takes absolutely forever to get to a place that felt very predictable to me, the plot engine takes way too long to spin up in general and there's a huge focus on how epic the world is at the expense of why we should care, Sanderson struggles with humour and the children are cloying. Got some very good points, though.

Yeah, The Black Company and Shadows Linger were great. Soon starting The White Rose. Probably an unpopular opinion around here, but in all honesty, TBC had just as much politicking, if not more, than ASOIAF. But without the excessive descriptions clothes, food, and Myrish Swamps.

Yeah, The Black Company and Shadows Linger were great. Soon starting The White Rose. Probably an unpopular opinion around here, but in all honesty, TBC had just as much politicking, if not more, than ASOIAF. But without the excessive descriptions clothes, food, and Myrish Swamps.

It has politics, but you don't see the politics happening in details like you see it on ASOIAF (or The First Law).

Finished the first book today. The second half of the book was quite enjoyable, so I guess it was a good decision to stick with it. Nowhere near as good as I was expecting though, and the five words sentences are still annoying.

Started reading The Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas. Am about halfway through and while its a very long book, I am enjoying it thoroughly. Have put all other books I was supposed to read in march (The Autumn Republic and The Skull Throne) on hold.

Archived