is Brandon death plausible?

foreign675

It kind of puzzles me how Brandon could strangle himself to death.

One of the things that happens right after you hang yourself, is that 5s or so after blood is not reaching your head you faint and loose conscience.

But you're not yet dead. Depending to how much the blood can not circulate well - if at all - dying requires still several minutes. In that time, the body goes through convulsions which 'attempt' to

free the person from the rope by simply pushing.

However, Brandon was not really hanged and his body wasn't really suspended from the floor. To strangle himself, he had to push with his own feet. But as soon as he would faint, he would fall back into a position in which the rope is no longer under sufficient tension to make him actually die.

This kind of thing kind of puzzles me, I'm not an expert but to my experience such thing is kind of impossible.

thoughts?

If he fainted, he wouldn't fall back to a standing upright position off the weight of the cord. Fainting would leave him suspended and yes, hanging.

but the rope needs to be extremely short for him to be left hanging.. so short he can't 'stand' on his knees.. in such a case he wouldn't have any space to stretch for a sword at all

The way I figured it, is that the cord used could be pulled tight, but wouldn't release on its own. See it as a kind of cable tie, only without the actual blockade on the chord. So even if Brandon could only strangle himself until he passed out, the cord around his neck would not release, and thus remain too tight, eventually killing him.

Brandon was on his knees with his hands tied behind his back.

the rope was a noose around his neck and attached to the wall, so the rope was horizontal when taught.

the noose would have cut off the windpipe and he would have choked on his own blood/fluid with all that strain trying to get to Ricky.

you are aware the purpose of being hanged in the traditional sense is to break the neck, not to suffocate?

Bran suffocated, a million times worse i would think...

but the rope needs to be extremely short for him to be left hanging.. so short he can't 'stand' on his knees.. in such a case he wouldn't have any space to stretch for a sword at all

If he is unconscious, he can't stand at all. The sword was just out of his reach, not ten feet away, certainly close enough for him to believe he might just reach it. Ergo a short rope.

"When the fire was blazing, Brandon was brought in. His hands were chained behind his back, and around his neck was a wet leathern cord attached to a device the king had brought from Tyrosh. His legs were left free, though, and his longsword was set down just beyond his reach.

"The pyromancers roasted Lord Rickard slowly, banking and fanning that fire carefully to get a nice even heat. His cloak caught first, and then his surcoat, and soon he wore nothing but metal and ashes. Next he would start to cook, Aerys promised . . . unless his son could free him. Brandon tried, but the more he struggled, the tighter the cord constricted around his throat. In the end he strangled himself."

A tricksy device, not a wall, no evidence of a horizontal path to the rope. Plus tricksy wet leather cord that did not loosen when tightened.

Sorry OP, sort of a non-argument really. But what would be your point, curiously?

"When the fire was blazing, Brandon was brought in. His hands were chained behind his back, and around his neck was a wet leathern cord attached to a device the king had brought from Tyrosh. His legs were left free, though, and his longsword was set down just beyond his reach.

"The pyromancers roasted Lord Rickard slowly, banking and fanning that fire carefully to get a nice even heat. His cloak caught first, and then his surcoat, and soon he wore nothing but metal and ashes. Next he would start to cook, Aerys promised . . . unless his son could free him. Brandon tried, but the more he struggled, the tighter the cord constricted around his throat. In the end he strangled himself."

A tricksy device, not a wall, no evidence of a horizontal path to the rope. Plus tricksy wet leather cord that did not loosen when tightened.

Sorry OP, sort of a non-argument really. But what would be your point, curiously?

Uh? no point at all.. I was just trying to imagine him dying and couldn't figure out a proper film of it.

Probably if it was shorter than an arm, like half arm, then it could work like that. Or maybe the wet leather has some special property preventing the cord from releasing its pull.

Uh? no point at all.. I was just trying to imagine him dying and couldn't figure out a proper film of it.

Probably if it was shorter than an arm, like half arm, then it could work like that. Or maybe the wet leather has some special property preventing the cord from releasing its pull.

I see, no prob. Ever wear topsiders? Once they get wet, better pray you have a proper shoelace knot with loops. And oddly it's hard to get a tight shoelace knot without them being slightly wet. Leather stretches when wet, so a tight knot would only get tighter it you get pulling at it.

you are aware the purpose of being hanged in the traditional sense is to break the neck, not to suffocate?

Bran suffocated, a million times worse i would think...

It depends on the tradition you're talking about.. historically 'breaking the neck' wasn't spread everywhere at every given time. Moreover, it's not an easy achievement to get, especially with the wrong starting conditions.

Actually, it's not that bad. As I said, a person looses consciousness in around 5 seconds.

It is not necessarily suffocation that kills you, it depends on how you are left to hang. You can also die simple because brain cells do not receive oxygen at all due to blood vessels being blocked- although you can still fully breath.

I see, no prob. Ever wear topsiders? Once they get wet, better pray you have a proper shoelace knot with loops. And oddly it's hard to get a tight shoelace knot without them being slightly wet. Leather stretches when wet, so a tight knot would only get tighter it you get pulling at it.

So you're saying I shouldn't buy a pair?

The mechanism of death in strangulation is actually hypoxia from compression of the carotid arteries rather than suffocation via the trachea. It's entirely possible for him to die in that manner. The cord was wet (and attached to a pulley?), so that even if he released the tension, the noose would not slacken as much.

Archived