Wheel of Time?

Ned the Living

Funny, I thought of Fires of Heaven as the worst. I really hated it. But to each their own...

Wow, you are the very first person I've heard say that. You must be a big Perrin fan, because aside from his absence, Fires of Heaven is pretty great by WoT standards. It is incomparably better than books 8-10. If I were doing an ordering, it would be:

Great WoT: 3, 4, 5, 12

Good WoT: 1, 2, 6, 7, 11

OK WoT: 9, 13, 14

Terrible WoT: 8, 10

Funny, I thought of Fires of Heaven as the worst. I really hated it. But to each their own...

I loved it and its ending as absolutely fantastic. It also helps that Moiraine is my overall favorite character in literature and she was very important on the last part of the book. I never felt that was since I played Final Fantasy VII.

For me, it is the second best fantasy book I've ever read (after A Storm of Swords). Now please don't say to me that A Storm of Swords is the worst book in ASOIAF.

Fires of Heaven has the whole circus plotline.

I feel as if that speaks for itself.

Books 4, 2, and 3 were my favorites.

Book 1 is fairly decent but is hampered by some very pedestrian writing. I recently reread it and I was surprised by just how clunky some of the writing was.

Books 5, 6, and 9 get by on their endings, the rest of the books drag.

Books 7 and 8 are unfairly maligned, but I actually like them or parts of them

Book 10 is utter shit.

4, 6 top.

2, 3, 5 11, 12, 13 good.

1, 7, 14 solid (and if book one wouldn't have that awful flashback-in-a-flashback-in-a-flashback it would be in the second group)

8, 9, 10 the worst.

Truth to tell, ranking by PoV would probably be better.

Mat takes the cake. Early Perrin is good as well. Rand flipflops all over the scale.

Min, Nynaeve and Fortuna are good.

Elayne and early Egwene are solid.

Late Perrin and late Egwene are awful.

The latter books really profit from the minor PoVs though.

Damn, drawn in another WoT thread. These things are like maelstroms. OK, here goes:

4, 6 top.

2, 3, 5 11, 12, 13 good.

1, 7, 14 solid (and if book one wouldn't have that awful flashback-in-a-flashback-in-a-flashback it would be in the second group)

8, 9, 10 the worst.

Truth to tell, ranking by PoV would probably be better.

Mat takes the cake. Early Perrin is good as well. Rand flipflops all over the scale.

Min, Nynaeve and Fortuna are good.

Elayne and early Egwene are solid.

Late Perrin and late Egwene are awful.

The latter books really profit from the minor PoVs though.

Late Perrin as in everything post book 6, or just in books 8-11? I would argue that Perrin in Sanderson's books is really good. I loved his part in Towers of Midnight. Sanderson did a fairly good job with Egwene, as well.

My ranking.

Books 1-3, very soild

4-6, even better

7-9, going downhill faster then a runaway train

10-11, dear god what is this abomination on paper?!

12-14, a decent ending to a mixed bag of a series.

I don't understand why people lump 11 with 10. 11 closes a bunch of the sub-plots and features more action than 8-10 combined.

I don't think Jordan himself even liked book 10.

As far as I know, the only person who really likes 10 is the guy who runs (if he still does) Dragonmount.

I won't do another ranking this time. Maybe if I ever re-read them.

Late Perrin as in everything post book 6, or just in books 8-11? I would argue that Perrin in Sanderson's books is really good. I loved his part in Towers of Midnight. Sanderson did a fairly good job with Egwene, as well.

Perrin improves again in Sanderson's arc, as soon as all the damage done in book 7-11 is resolved. But that's pretty much the end of the series anyway. Egwene can't resolve the damage done to her in those books.

I loved it and its ending as absolutely fantastic. It also helps that Moiraine is my overall favorite character in literature and she was very important on the last part of the book. I never felt that was since I played Final Fantasy VII.

For me, it is the second best fantasy book I've ever read (after A Storm of Swords). Now please don't say to me that A Storm of Swords is the worst book in ASOIAF.

I just didn't like it. And I didn't think that the ending makes good of the timewasting before.

Moiraine is you favourite character in literature? Really? I mean, to each their own, but WTF?

And no, I don't think that Storm is the worst Ice and Fire book, but it isnt the best either. (Aside from that, there are far better fantasy books, imho...)

If I had to rate the WoT books as you all did:

Great: 3, 4, 9

Good: 1, 2, 6, 11, 12

Acceptable: 7, 8, 13

Oh my god, why did I read that: 5, 10, 14

One of Rand's defenders was stronger than any Forsaken bar Ishamael (who didn't fight) and probably Demandred. With the talisman she had, she was significantly stronger than Cyndane and so was able to contain her.

On the other fights, the defenders were linked. We also know that the Forsaken didn't knew that the attack was happening so they didn't had tactics and communication between them. Some of them weren't even that interested for the fight and were there only because of the fear of Ishamael. On the other side, all Rand's defenders were willing to give their life there, were already linked (and we saw that even weak channelers who are linked can cause a lot of damage), had talismans with them which increase their power and had a coordinated strategy. Their mission was to handle everything thrown at them regardless of consequences.

If Forsaken would have had some minutes to coordinate then obviously they would have won. But they had to act fast and when they arrived there, Rand's team was waiting for them and obviously were far more than the Forsaken.

It was a very good fight and a believable one.

I don't know. They're supposed to KNOW things that others don't know. It seems like they ought to be able to attack in unpredictable ways. I could have believed a close fight, but the Forsaken was just completely outmatched start to finish. I also expect some participation from the heavy-hitters in something like that. What was Elayne doing? Nothing. Some boring crap with The Kin.

Group 1 (awesome): Books 5, 12, 1 and 14

Group 2 (great): Books 4, 3, 2, 6

Group 3 (ok): Books 7, 8, 13, 0 (prequel) and 11

Group 4 (awful): Books 9 and 10

My opinion of course (and tried to sort them within the group too).

I struggled only on books 9 and 10. The others went fast with Fires of Heaven being easily my favorite.

Man, I didn't know book 5 was so beloved. My rankings would be (keeping in mind that I haven't finished CoT yet):

Best: 1-4

Good: 5, 6

Mediocre: 7, 8

Terrible: 9, 10

So, for me, it's a steady decline.

Yeah see I've had this conversation before, but it really comes down to what PoVs you prefer. I can't stand Matt, so that tends to make me dislike certain books a lot more.

I can't believe it. On my old board, everyone was a Mat lover, but I have never enjoyed him. I am a Perrin fan. Of course, I also like Egwene, and most people hate her.

Now doing this by POV:

Excellent: Moiraine, late Egwene, late Mat
Great: Rand, Perrin, Lan, Siuan Sanche, Thom
Acceptable: late Nynaeve, late Aviendha, Min, early Elayne
Bad: early Nynaeve, early Aviendha, early Mat
Awful: late Elayne the most stupid idiodic retarded bitch-queen ever

The worst: Elaida

My favorite part of the series was the attack on the White Tower. Egwene cemented a place on my favorite characters in fantasy that day.
The second favorite is when Rand prepares tea for Moiraine.
Third favorite is Rand vs Egwene meeting.
And then obviously the last battle.

I just didn't like it. And I didn't think that the ending makes good of the timewasting before.

Moiraine is you favourite character in literature? Really? I mean, to each their own, but WTF?

Literature might be too much, but she's definitely my favorite character on fantasy books (surpassing Kvothe from Kingkiller's Chronicles and Vaelin Al Sorna from Raven's Shadow.

Archived