King and his queen: a match made... where?

Every now and then, not very often, but still, the topic of the marriage between Stannis and Selyse will pop up. And, inevitably, people will write things like "Robert did it because [reasons]". Here's my question, though: do we know Robert had anything to do with arranging the match? What actually do we know about its origins?

I can imagine numerous scenarios how the power couple was created (Robert has an idea, Jon Arryn had an idea, Stannis had an idea, or conversely, it were the Florents who made the first step and approached Robert/Jon/Stannis; the two kids falling madly mutually in love at the first sight I'd consider one of the less likely scenarios). But what do we know?

We don't really know anything about how Stannis and Selyse ended up married but we can speculate. Since Maester Cressen nor Davos ever mention a younger Stannis in love with Selyse, we can almost rule out a love marriage. This marriage was a political one.

Robert might have had a part in arranging the marriage since he as head of House Baratheon would have had the responsibility maintaining and creating the house's alliances, so the Florent marriage might have been his idea. Maybe Jon Arryn suggested it or Stannis arranged it himself. Unless it is revealed to us, we won't find out for sure IMO.

We know nothing except Robert literally went out of his way to insult Stannis during the event. Normally I give the big man a bit of leeway and put it down to Stannis' overreacting but no excuses for this one. We don't even know if Robert arranged it, since I assume that now Stannis is a lord in his own right he has the right to do that himself, but then marriage to a Florent doesn't strike me as a particularly ambitious move, so that throws doubt on that. It just seems like a good excuse for GRRM to use a whole family for comic relief.

Archived