Light bringer theory... Sorta

myufa

I came up with an idea for what the some parts lightbringer description mean. Magic has been described as a sword without a hilt. Building on that, what if lightbringer means magic. Not saying it's the only thing it could mean, but the reason I like this idea is because, let's say Dany is AAR. How does she forge her lightbringer(magic)?

He laboured for thirty days and thirty nights until it was done. However, when he went to temper it in water, the sword broke.

I think tempering the sword in water references Dany killing her mother in birth(birth water...).

The third time, with a heavy heart, for he knew beforehand what he must do to finish the blade, he worked for a hundred days and nights until it was finished. This time, he called for his wife, Nissa Nissa, and asked her to bare her breast. He drove his sword into her living heart, her soul combining with the steel of the sword, creating Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes.

This part I believe references Dany suffocating Drogo, because that parallels AA killing his beloved.

The part I have no clue about is this:

He was not one to give up easily, so he started over. The second time he took fifty days and fifty nights to make the sword, even better than the first. To temper it this time, he captured a lion and drove the sword into its heart, but once more the steel shattered.

I don't know how Dany would done anything similar to catching a lion and killing it.

Criticisms? Contributions?

I don't think Lightbringer refers to magic in general. If that were the case Mel and the FM could AAR.

If Dany is AAR, she's doing things out of order. The water is first, then the lion's heart, then the heart of the true love.

Rhaella did not die because of water, and there are other characters in the series whose mothers died giving birth to them.

Lightbringer is either going to be a sword or a metaphor. If it's a sword, and one that still exists (most likely given that we don't have time for a year of forging here) it probably doesn't need to be re-tempered, so no one has to die specifically to make it work. If it's a metaphor, it's more like to be Jon or the Night's Watch. Hopefully not the NW because they have just shot themselves in the foot.

I think it's a metaphor for magic. And I'm not saying she's the only candidate, I was just using her as an example. For Jon I'd say the same thing about birth(and by water I meant the fluids that come out in birth), still no lion example, and perhaps Yigrett was or Val will later be Nissa Nissa.

I think it's a metaphor for magic. And I'm not saying she's the only candidate, I was just using her as an example. For Jon I'd say the same thing about birth(and by water I meant the fluids that come out in birth), still no lion example, and perhaps Yigrett was or Val will later be Nissa Nissa.

I know what you meant about the amniotic fluid, I just don't think it fits with the blade being tempered in water.

Do you know what to look for when tempering metal? I do. I had training as a metal worker as part of my education. It definitely came in very useful in different fields of work I've undertaken, and especially so in managerial roles.

Quite honestly, labouring for 30 days and 30 nights is a gross exaggeration. It's an example of how myths and legends gain status, because people love to embellish tales.

So, when tempering in water keeps on failing, shove the thing through your beloved's heart. Hey Presto! ------ Utter bollocks!!

And people put so much belief into such tales that they can't not believe. What was it someone once said, about when you tell a tale enough times, whatever were the actual facts disappear, and what's left becomes the reality.

If Lightbringer does turn out to be a sword, or a design of sword, it will be crafted by a master of sword-smithery.

I have a question - In which direction do you expect this sword to be wielded? Towards what's coming from Beyond The Wall or in the opposite direction, against whatever may arrive from The South?

You may find Lightbringer is a metephor, meaning an individual, perhaps leading a body of followers or like-minded, standing firm in the face of adversity. For adversity read dark times..... perhaps you can work out the rest.

It's worthwhile looking at alternative words for Lightbringer. It may shed some light on the subject.... or not. I can see several candidates for a metaphoric Lightbringer.

Do you know what to look for when tempering metal? I do. I had training as a metal worker as part of my education. It definitely came in very useful in different fields of work I've undertaken, and especially so in managerial roles.

Quite honestly, labouring for 30 days and 30 nights is a gross exaggeration. It's an example of how myths and legends gain status, because people love to embellish tales.

So, when tempering in water keeps on failing, shove the thing through your beloved's heart. Hey Presto! ------ Utter bollocks!!

<snip

Actually, researchers may have isolated how to make Damascus steel (inspiration for Valyrian steel) again and the lead researcher made a dagger of it...took him two years. So no, 30 days wouldn't necessarily be an exaggeration for a special sword, especially given the lack of modern technology. The "and 30 nights" I agree is just for effect.

You might also want to remember that this is a fantasy series where blood magic exists. In the real world shoving a sword through your wife's heart will get you life in prison, but in a fictional fantasy world, it could actually produce a magic sword.

Lightbringer has three heads.

Daenerys did get a white tiger pelt from Drogo, for whatever it means.

Lightbringer does not have three heads. Unless that's code for "LB is dragons." It's the dragon has three heads. Singular, not plural. Then again, it was Prince Screw-up who gave us that quote so maybe he had the wrong form.

That was a white lion pelt actually. And there's something about a white lion's death that shows up somewhere in all these prophecies/dreams.

I always interpreted the AA/Lightbringer theory as the original recipe for what became Valyrian Steel.

AGoT prologue showed us that even a good castle forged blade couldn't stand against the Other's blade. But in AGoT Prologue...the Other studied Raymar's blade before the fight. As if he were studying it make sure it wasn't Valyrian Steel (or Dragonsteel...or even Dragonglass).

Even in Qohor, they use sacrifices to make steel similar to Valyrian Steel. Maester Pol, who wrote a treatise on Qohorik metalworking written during several years of residence, was thrice publicly whipped and cast out for making to many inquiries. The final time, his hand was also cut following the allegation he had stolen a Valyrian steel blade. According to him, the true reason for his final exile was the discovery of blood sacrifice - including that of infant slaves - which the Qohorik smiths use in their efforts to produce steel equal to the original Valyrian steel.

What did AA do to make his strong blade? He used a human sacrifice...not even the lion would work...had to be human.

Archived