What Cersei Holds Dear

Harry the Hair

I don't know, I think it'd be hard to pinpoint a single person as a cause of Cersei losing everything (and if anything that person should be herself). Like, we could say it's Sansa because Cersei started losing her shit after the Purple Wedding, but it goes back to Littlefinger planning the whole thing, to Olenna and Margaery, to Renly, Melisandre, etc

So what I mean is that there's dozens of vectors leading up to Cersei's downfall, so I don't know if we could single out anyone as a sole responsible

When you put it that way it sounds even more tragic. But I was thinking actual shroud. Here's how I see it playing out.

• Cersei wins her trial. Margaery loses hers.

Margaery is executed.

"For hands of gold are always cold."

I do enjoy the irony here; Cersei is proven innocent while being guilty, and the opposite happens for Margaery.

I thought the Queen of Thorns is back at Highgarden by now which would make the poisoning bit hard to pull off. I always thought Cersei would pull an Ivan the Terrible on Tommen; killing him accidentally in a fit of rage over Margaery (or Sansa, depending on who will cast her down). But that doesn't contradict your theory about her future relationship with Myrcella... I like that bit a lot actually.

I do enjoy the irony here; Cersei is proven innocent while being guilty, and the opposite happens for Margaery.

I thought the Queen of Thorns is back at Highgarden by now which would make the poisoning bit hard to pull off. I always thought Cersei would pull an Ivan the Terrible on Tommen; killing him accidentally in a fit of rage over Margaery (or Sansa, depending on who will cast her down). But that doesn't contradict your theory about her future relationship with Myrcella... I like that bit a lot actually.

Yes, QoT did go back to Highgarden but I'm sure if her precious Margaery dies she'd be willing to make a special trip to King's Landing. Heck she already poisoned Joff, and at least this gives Tommen a painless, drama-free (for him) death. Plus I figure she'll kill herself as well, maybe leaving a note saying that she took out both of Cersei's boys. That way it can't be pinned on anyone else, the Sand Snakes have proof to show Myrcella, and Sansa and Tyrion would both be off the hook for Joff.

*shrug* Just seems like something she might do to get back at Cersei. Invite Tommen to her rooms for brownies. Then they both take naps, and just don't wake up.

*shrug* Just seems like something she might do to get back at Cersei. Invite Tommen to her rooms for brownies. Then they both take naps, and just don't wake up.

Not sure Cersei would allow that, but he might accept the invite just to piss her off.

I lean towards those that think that power is what cersei holds dearest.

With the prophecy in mind, I think the young person going to take her power is the Khaleesi. She already has the power and the trailer shows tyrion being convinced to support the Khaleesi's claim as a powerful leader loved and feared by many.

I agree that the lust for power will be Cersei's downfall and is what she holds dear. While there are a number of excellent candidates for the YMBQ, I feel that it will probably be Dany. GRRM likes to give us several options for each puzzle and all of these scenarios upthread are interesting. I think Cersei will win her trial and grab power again. She'll be hard to pry out without a weapon as big as a dragon.

I agree that the lust for power will be Cersei's downfall and is what she holds dear. While there are a number of excellent candidates for the YMBQ, I feel that it will probably be Dany. GRRM likes to give us several options for each puzzle and all of these scenarios upthread are interesting. I think Cersei will win her trial and grab power again. She'll be hard to pry out without a weapon as big as a dragon.

or as small as an imp. ;)

Casterly Rock is going to be taken by Dany's forces, courtesy of Tyrion's help.

I doubt that. I think Tyrion will die well before that. fAegon is more likely to take the CR after he secures the Reach.

I doubt that. I think Tyrion will die well before that. fAegon is more likely to take the CR after he secures the Reach.

It was foreshadowed in AGoT and ASoS. Tyrion was in charge of the sewers at CR. Meereen was taken by Dany's men going in through the sewers.

And since the Rock has never been taken through standard warfare, there's really not much chance Aegon would be able to do it. Tyrion is the only one with the necessary knowledge and experience.

Tyrion will not die until near the end of the series, if he dies.

What Cersei holds dear is her power.

Her beauty and sexuality are tools to keep the power.

Jaime is just an extension of her own ego, a demonstration of what she can make others do for her.

Her children are her only way to power, as they have the rights to the crown, not her.

I disagree. She's cruel, weird and manipulative however she loves her children dearly. If that wasn't the case then she would have killed Joffrey (a wild card indeed) herself which would have paved Tommen (kinder and more easily manipulative)'s way to the throne.

The problem as I see it with Mycella being the younger more beautiful Queen is that she isn't. Courtesy of the Dornish attempt to crown her she is now disfigured, isn't she?

I don't see how it can be Sansa. While she may have a claim to the throne through Tyrion, he is going to help Dany overthrow whatever Lannister influence is left in Westeros. As a Stark, Sansa really has no reason to become Queen, she may become "Queen of the North".

I am not that concerned with who the younger queen is but I have often paused to wonder what Cersei holds dear. I think she is too insecure to hold anything dear in the same way a normal person would, but definitely she holds her children dear even if she is a terrible mother, and otherwise its power (because she can't imagine a person can interact with others without having one up on them) and freedom to a lesser extent (if she didn't have power she wouldn't feel free). She held Jaime dear because he was her narcissistic supply but she thinks he's failed at that job and Taena has stepped into that role of unquestioning support.

Excuse me if you find people spouting pyschological terms in analysing literature detestible (I do) but in this case I think Cersei reads as if the author got hold of a textbook or chatted to a psychologist and then wrote the character.

So far it seems like Maggy the frog spitefully gifted Cersei with a really efficient self fulfilling prophecy.

Archived