Anyone still looking at Georges original plan?

King17

Mods? What exactly are they?

Mysterious forces. They don't like to be discussed.

But back to the blanked out paragraph. I really don't think it's decipherable. I know efforts have been made, but they strike me as guesswork. Not particularly interesting guesswork either.

Mysterious forces. They don't like to be discussed.

But back to the blanked out paragraph. I really don't think it's decipherable. I know efforts have been made, but they strike me as guesswork. Not particularly interesting guesswork either.

Mods are mysterious forces?

Mods? What exactly are they?

Do you remember as a kid, when it felt like arbitrary rules where put in place by teachers that didn't seem to serve any purpose except to prevent fun? Mods are those rules in human form.

As to the original question, any deciphering I've seen have mostly been things people just wanted to be true, not real guesses of substance.

Um, I've seen plenty of threads about the letter ever since it surfaced. Some of them went on for many pages.

I do think the letter is interesting, if not worth all that much, if that makes sense.

I think it can slightly add to some elements of future guesswork (for instance, it should obvious that Jon is not Ned's son and Dany will lead a massive Khalasar to Westeros) but not a whole lot. There's very little characterization that we can really get from it (just look at Evil Tyrion and Jaime in that version.)

What really interests me is Catelyn's prolonged survival, flight north, and death at the hands of the Others. That detail let me patch together/guess a few elements:

1. Cat's story has always been about her southern vs northern identity, and dying in the North would have probably brought that full circle.

2. Stoneheart always existed in some form; if she was killed by the Others it stands to reason that she would have come back as a Wight.

3. (This one is iffy, admittedly) GRRM set up Cat and Jon for a make-up/connection in the sickroom chapter. What people often ignore about that scene is the way that Catelyn opens up to Jon about how guilty she feels even though no one in the right mind would hold her prayers to stay close to Bran against her. If the Jon/Cat make-up concept is true, I think it would add to the "against his heart, Jon turns them away" part of the letter.

I almost think it isn't relevant anyways. To me the letter didn't enlighten me or tell me anything we didn't already have a bunch of book references... It also showed Martin has changed gears on some of the story lines anyways so I don't take much to heart from the letter.

It was neat to read though.

3. (This one is iffy, admittedly) GRRM set up Cat and Jon for a make-up/connection in the sickroom chapter. What people often ignore about that scene is the way that Catelyn opens up to Jon about how guilty she feels even though no one in the right mind would hold her prayers to stay close to Bran against her. If the Jon/Cat make-up concept is true, I think it would add to the "against his heart, Jon turns them away" part of the letter.

Since Cat acted like a mean bitch towards Jon, this could have been her tasting of her own medicine. At the Wall, the roles are switched. Cat becomes the unwanted outsider.

Why would we need to discuss three pages of unpublished and discarded ideas when we have thousands of pages of published material?

Question for the philosophers, I suppose :)

Why would we need to discuss three pages of unpublished and discarded ideas when we have thousands of pages of published material?

'Cause we discussed those already to death and beyond, and those three pages were something actually new.

Sure, when (or if) George publishes another book, or a short story, set in that universe, we'll dig into that, too. Until then, however...

Probably for the same reason that Martin, himself, offered to share his original outline with readers after he finished his last novel.

Anne, his editor -

Also, he has promised me that, when he finally wraps this great beast, I can publish the five-page letter outlining the bare bones of the 'trilogy.'

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/game-thrones-george-rr-martins-709251

There is a great thread on Reddit that sums up how we should be approaching the outline.

http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/2xkgpr/spoilers_all_the_1993_letter_shows_us_some_grrm/

Its looking at the outline and the text in AGOT to see if there is evidence remaining for the plot presented in the outline and there is tons of it. He didn't go back and revise the text at all.

The Next part of Ice Turtles Jon and Arya thread should be interesting too but we've gone off on a bit of a tangent there

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/125364-jon-arya-hints-and-overall-significance-of-their-relationship/

They are looking at the Jon/Arya foreshadowing in AGOT, but what should be even more interesting is moving beyond that. I'm on tenterhooks.

Probably for the same reason that Martin, himself, offered to share his original outline with readers after he finished his last novel.

Anne, his editor -

Also, he has promised me that, when he finally wraps this great beast, I can publish the five-page letter outlining the bare bones of the 'trilogy.'

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/game-thrones-george-rr-martins-709251

So, he finished the series?

'Cause we discussed those already to death and beyond, and those three pages were something actually new.

Sure, when (or if) George publishes another book, or a short story, set in that universe, we'll dig into that, too. Until then, however...

And I think that in those two days we have discussed those three pages to death more than we have discussed the series. We now have the situation that those pages weigh more than entire series.

There is a great thread on Reddit that sums up how we should be approaching the outline.

http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/2xkgpr/spoilers_all_the_1993_letter_shows_us_some_grrm/

Its looking at the outline and the text in AGOT to see if there is evidence remaining for the plot presented in the outline and there is tons of it. He didn't go back and revise the text at all.

The Next part of Ice Turtles Jon and Arya thread should be interesting too but we've gone off on a bit of a tangent there

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/125364-jon-arya-hints-and-overall-significance-of-their-relationship/

They are looking at the Jon/Arya foreshadowing in AGOT, but what should be even more interesting is moving beyond that. I'm on tenterhooks.

I am aware that now we have changed everything we believed in. Before this, Arya and Jon were just siblings with sporadic fanfic shipping. Now, it seems that all those brotherly feelings are in fact romantic and sexual. Talking about bad reading skills...

I am aware that now we have changed everything we believed in. Before this, Arya and Jon were just siblings with sporadic fanfic shipping. Now, it seems that all those brotherly feelings are in fact romantic and sexual. Talking about bad reading skills...

People are sensibly re-evaluating the text based on the information provided. Looking whether things are supported or ditched based on the books written. People who previously thought that GRRM would never in a million years go there are now forced to accept he at least considered it and look again. No one has changed everything they believed in.

Archived