Rickon?

Tyrion The Huge

with Robb dead, Jon not being a Stark or being in the NW forever, Sansa getting the surname of the one she'll marry, Arya becoming a professional assassin with no other goal than killing people and Bran basicly turning into atree, he's the only canche for the Stark line to survive

with Robb dead, Jon not being a Stark or being in the NW forever, Sansa getting the surname of the one she'll marry, Arya becoming a professional assassin with no other goal than killing people and Bran basicly turning into atree, he's the only canche for the Stark line to survive

This :thumbsup:

I think he is going to play a big part in taking back the North, mainly through being seated back at Winterfell and perhaps siding with Stannis in exchange for bringing the North under the Starks again? :dunno:

Rickon is not the only person the Stark line can continue through. If either Arya or Sansa had kids, their child need not take their father's name. Neither of Sansa or Arya even need to take their husband's name, just look at Cersei.

He was three when the books began. With the current time progression plus the originally planned five year gap he would end the series at age eleven.

So yeah. Not expecting much from him. Shaggy on the other hand could do a LOT of damage!

Rickon is not the only person the Stark line can continue through. If either Arya or Sansa had kids, their child need not take their father's name. Neither of Sansa or Arya even need to take their husband's name, just look at Cersei.

Cersei's legally a Baratheon. It's just that she's such a Lannister, everyone still thinks of her as Cersei Lannister. Her children all have their "father's" surname. Maege Mormont on the other hand seems to have kept her name and passed it down to her girls. So there is still precedent within the story.

I think Rickon is gust a writing tool to allow the fates of Robb and Bran to play out. I mean by this that GRRM wanted Robb to die, and the way it is heading it does not look that Bran will be heading Winterfell. so the only way to have a Stark male in charge of winterfell is to create Rickon. almost no time is spent on Rickon. people reading ASOS and onward probably even forget about him all together. so to answer the question, I think Rickon well have an interesting future, most likely being king in the north, but merely to end the story with a stark leading the north

I think he'll ultimately be King in the North. But that's in many years - until then, he'll be used as a pawn by all the northern lords to claim back the North (the whole "everyone wanting to back the Ned's son" thing). Basically the North wants independence and they'll use Rickon and his Stark name as a bartering tool and rallying campaign, even if Rickon himself doesn't do anything. Though he probably will in later life become a pretty stern, old school King in the North after his time on Skagos and with all his family gone. But hey, I think it could be a golden age with reconciliation (at least in part) between Northerners and wildlings, at last.

there must always be a STARK in Winterfel; Sansa's children will not be Starks, in the same way as Robb or Bran are not Tullys

While Bran's journey doesn't necessarily mean that he'll say in the cave with Bloodraven forever and that this journey is destined for him to be the Stark in Winterfell, that also doesn't necessarily mean the destiny will be completed. Bran might not ever reach the seat of Winterfell again, he might just use his new found powers or whatever to do some good in the realm. Thats when Rickon will most likely come in. I firmly believe Rickon will be THE Stark in Winterfell when this story ends.

Archived