Could Aegon be the 'sun's son' ?

TheLightning Lord

ya know I blame the whole supposed Aegon baby swap in the books for all of these "is so and and so really so and so" threads. There was already enough mistaken identity to deal with, but Varys lying about that baby swap has basically just rendered every line of the entire series up for question. ENOUGH already.

Perhaps you could provide a reason for this? Other than your obvious desire for Aegon to be real, you have presented us with nothing.

House Martell's sigil is the sun. Aegon's mom was Elia Martell. He's therefore the sun's son

House Martell's sigil is the sun. Aegon's mom was Elia Martell. He's therefore the sun's son

Given that Westeros generally identifies kids (especially boys) by their father's lineage, that's a stretch. Dorne obviously is an exception, but Quentyn actively identifies as a Martell, whereas Aegon does not (his claim to the throne that he is pressing comes from Rhaegar).

I'll allow that the OP is possible, but highly unlikely.

Given that Westeros generally identifies kids (especially boys) by their father's lineage, that's a stretch. Dorne obviously is an exception, but Quentyn actively identifies as a Martell, whereas Aegon does not (his claim to the throne that he is pressing comes from Rhaegar).

I'll allow that the OP is possible, but highly unlikely.

Oh not saying I agreed, but he can fit the bill through this understanding.

Also, given that the person who saw the vision is Dany, who therefore affects the vision through her own beliefs and interpretation and is someone who believes that Aegon is dead, it would be understandable that this coloured the vision for her and caused Aegon to be seen as his mother's son (a Martell) instead of as his father's son (a Targaryen). To her, there are no more Targaryens so the person cannot be a Targaryen. There are however Martells left.

This is entirely possible as we've actually seen her beliefs affect the visions she's seen before (that Rhaegar died saying Lyanna's name because she thinks that Rhaegar loved her, that Aerys was old and that this therefore affected his rationality during the Rebellion when in reality he was 39). Seeing as the vision of the sun's son is involved in these very visions that we know are inaccurate as Dany's beliefs are colouring them, it's entirely possible that her belief of Aegon being dead also affected this vision.

ya know I blame the whole supposed Aegon baby swap in the books for all of these "is so and and so really so and so" threads. There was already enough mistaken identity to deal with, but Varys lying about that baby swap has basically just rendered every line of the entire series up for question. ENOUGH already.

Hidden identity thing is starting to get on my nerves. There is one character with a hidden identity: Jon. That's it.

If Aegon is false, then the theme is a false prince parading as a real prince (mummer's dragon), not hidden identity.

Arya, Dany, Sansa all give up their identities to play new roles, but, again, that's very different from a hidden identity.

Heh...I certainly agree with you that Varys was lying to the dying Kevan Lannister with that glowing speech about Aegon!

If Aegon is the sun's son,who is the mummer's dragon...Nah,Quentyn is the sun's son.

Quentyn thought that he could tame a dragon because he had dragon's blood from a couple of generations back. He therefore tried to play himself off as a dragon through his dragon's blood, i.e he was a mummer's dragon. He was a sun pretending to be a dragon.

Quentyn tried to pass himself off as a dragon just as surely as Aegon would be if he was fake.

Not really. If FAegon was real, which I bet my right hand that he isn't, a child takes his "identity" mostly from his father. For example Robb, Arya, Sansa, Rickon and Bran are wolves not trouts. If FAegon was real he would be Dragon's son. I bet that Quentyn was Sun's son.

Hidden identity thing is starting to get on my nerves. There is one character with a hidden identity: Jon. That's it.

If Aegon is false, then the theme is a false prince parading as a real prince (mummer's dragon), not hidden identity.

Arya, Dany, Sansa all give up their identities to play new roles, but, again, that's very different from a hidden identity.

Theon, Barristan, Catelyn, Jon Snow as a wildling, Varys, Jaqen, Aegon/Young Griff, JonCon/Tyrion, Mance, Monster/Aemon Steelsong, Bran/Rickon as the dead miller's boys, and probably a few more we can come up with. Although GRRM lets us in on some secrets, we didn't know about Bran, Rickon, Barristan or Mance right away, although some may have guessed. And some of these alternate identities are still considered "hidden" to other characters.

Plus we still have mystery figures with, we presume, hidden identities to be revealed. The Gravedigger, Robert Strong, Alleras, The Hooded Man in Winterfell, Coldhands, possibly Quaithe, Lemore, Varys, The Sailor's Wife.....

It's a huge theme in the books, and would not surprise me if more than one character is not who they seem to be to readers. In fact, I don't think he's done by a long shot.

It's been pointed out that a lot of characters in A Dance With Dragons are losing their names, and their very identities, as a result of intense circumstances. What's that about?

Arya has been doing it for some time, actually. Arya has gone through a dozen different identities, even getting to Braavos — where the ultimate goal of the Faceless Men is to become no-one, and to be able to assume identities as one assumes a suit of clothes. But yes, identity is one of the things that I'm playing with in this series as a whole, and in this particular book — what is it that makes us who we are? Is it our birth, our blood, our position in the world? Or something more integral to us? Our values our memories, et cetera.

Cheers

It could be, but despite Quaithe is (unnecessarily) talking in riddles, she needs to put it in a way it's easier for Dany to interpret.

We don't know that Quaithe is intentionally talking in riddles. She may actually not know any more than the prophecies she makes.

Anyway, Quentyn is clearly the sun's son. Regardless of whether Aegon/fAegon is the son of Elia Martell, Quentyn is very obviously the son of Doran Martell.

We don't know that Quaithe is intentionally talking in riddles. She may actually not know any more than the prophecies she makes.

She doesn't receives prophecies, she has access to see things via glasscandle. She could have easily said: "beware of the Lannister dwarf that is coming" or "the son of Doran Martell's is on his way".

Archived