Did Lyanna run away for love or prophecy?

Alex Storm

She did not run away, she was kidnapped, that's the extent of what we know.

But if we're building on sand, I will put out there that if she faked her death and chose to control the realm by face-shifting into Tywin, my opinion of her drops a whole lot.

She did not run away, she was kidnapped, that's the extent of what we know.

But if we're building on sand, I will put out there that if she faked her death and chose to control the realm by face-shifting into Tywin, my opinion of her drops a whole lot.

He's right, you know.

Lyanna was just the kind of vulnerable, weak-willed thing to be kidnapped. Plus, the "damsel in distress kidnapped by an evil prince and sealed away in a tower" is like the oldest trope of fantasy, and we all know how much our dear GRRM loves tropes and would never, ever, ever defy them. Not in a million years. Nuh-uh.

Unrelated: I am never sarcastic.

I'm hoping it's the latter cause if she just ran away cause she loved Rhaegar (a dude she just met) and let thousands of people die from the war she caused, then my opinion of her drops a whole lot.

Suuuuure, because running away for questionable prophecy which so easily could be wrong or misinterpreted is so much better.

I doubt a Northern girl who loved fighting and riding would give two ounces of a thought towards a prophecy. It was clearly for love, if that is the reason.

I'm hoping it's the latter cause if she just ran away cause she loved Rhaegar (a dude she just met) and let thousands of people die from the war she caused, then my opinion of her drops a whole lot.

Well, we don't know how much time Lyanna spent with Rhaegar before eloping with him (if that's what she did).

And frankly, I put just as much blame for the war on her idiotic older brother for expecting good things out of riding down to the capital of Westeros and publicly shouting for the Crown Prince's death.

I find very interesting the possibility that she has done the same thing Sansa did. Thus, all the talk how Sansa is not a Stark will crumble like house of cards :). And, TBH, we know that is rather sound option.

Now, we know this ended as the love story. But, how this even began? Was it love from the first moment? Possibly, after all, her reaction to Rhaegar singing seems suspicious. But, perhaps there was another option. All credits go to butterbumps for this. What if she went with Rhaegar just not to be with Robert? What if she thought that Rhaegar could save her unwanted marriage with Robert? We already have enough to doubt that Lyanna wasn't thrilled being married to Robert, so perhaps she saw in Rhaegar the chance to live another life. I feel like, at the beginning, Lyanna was looking at Rhaegar the same way Eowyn looked at Aragorn in "The Lord of the Rings"... Being in love with the idea of greatness, not the man.

My theory is she was lonely and depressed and not keen on marrying Robert, the boozing womanizer.

She may not have been "deeply in love" with Rhaegar, but thought he was handsome and charming enough to want to run off with, even if he was married.

Some might call her irresponsible, but remember she was 16 years old at the time..was Rheagar like 23 or 25?

Some might call her irresponsible, but remember she was 16 years old at the time..was Rheagar like 23 or 25?

Rhaegar was around 22 at the time, and Lyanna was around 15. She died when she was 16.

You know they didn't have psychic powers right?

I believe they were smart enough to know that if they eloped together things would be complicated giving their positions, but still hiding it after the Stark burnings and at the beginning of an uprising is risking a bit... i don´t know when i´m going to die, but i can make it easier or harder (this, of course, taking the love theory as fact)... and if Lyanna survived, it would be worst for her i believe (my opinion)

If she had run away with him for love why would she stay there when her brother and father died that led to her betrothed starting a war. Doubt it was for a prophecy either. I think they were both stupid and selfish when they went to the tower of joy (I don't think he kidnapped her either)

Lyanna didn't run away, she was taken against her will. At least, that's my opinion.

Even if she ran away for prophecy, that's still a bad reason. What possible evidence, other than "I know this sounds crazy, but you have to trust me on this ..." could Rhaegar possibly bring to the table to convince Lyanna (or anyone else for that matter) of his prophecy? Hell, I think Rhaegar is crazy just for believing his prophecy himself when no sane man would. Basically, if Lyanna ran away of her own free will than I would not be able to classify her as anything other than a piece of human garbage who caused millions of people (including her brother and father) to die.

Lyanna didn't run away, she was taken against her will. At least, that's my opinion.

Even if she ran away for prophecy, that's still a bad reason. What possible evidence, other than "I know this sounds crazy, but you have to trust me on this ..." could Rhaegar possibly bring to the table to convince Lyanna (or anyone else for that matter) of his prophecy? Hell, I think Rhaegar is crazy just for believing his prophecy himself when no sane man would. Basically, if Lyanna ran away of her own free will than I would not be able to classify her as anything other than a piece of human garbage who caused millions of people (including her brother and father) to die.

Yea I just tend to sympathize with the prophecy idea because we know now that they most likely did birth a savior into the world. But yea at the time that wouldn't have been a much better reason since Rhaegar probably would've sounded crazy

So, basically your argument that she didn't run away is actually that it will make her worse than being pure as the snow? I am sorry, but that is not an argument. That is just a desire...

Yea I just tend to sympathize with the prophecy idea because we know now that they most likely did birth a savior into the world. But yea at the time that wouldn't have been a much better reason since Rhaegar probably would've sounded crazy

The thing is, at the time Westros didn't even NEED a Prince That Was Promised. The Seven Kingdoms were at peace, and would probably have remained that way had a certain silver haired prince and his pyrophillic father not provoked a rebellion. If Westros was at peace than there would be no pressing matters to prevent the people from sending reinforcements north once wildlings started attacking The Wall. The Others can't get past the wall because of magic.

In essence, if Jon really is the savior of the world than he'll just be cleaning up an artificially created catastrophe Rhaegar started.

I kind of think it's both. I could totally see a dreamy young action girl like Lyanna getting swept up in the idea of saving the world ESPECIALLY if getting it on with a hunk like Rhaegar was part of the deal.

She fell in love with the idea she could help save the world and was also deeply infatuated with Rhaegar himself.

Archived